Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor susanneNT
New Contributor

Number of Devices that can connect to f@st3864 modem router

I have a Sagemcom f@st3864 modem/router with a NBN connection. Some of my devices woulnt connect and I discovered through the router settings that it is set to a maximum of 16 devices to be connected and it appears this number cannot be changed. This is certainy not enough for a modern household. I called Optus NBN help and they told me they cant change it and gave me the number for Sagemcom. Sagemcom told me they do not support this model and to call Optus. I was wondering if anyone knows a way I can change the figure to higher than 16? Someone has suggested to me that I could turn off the WPS & Wifi on the router and plug in an old router (via ethernet) and this may solve the problem, has anyone had experience doing this? Thanks 

27 Replies
Moderator Tris

Re: Number of Devices that can connect to f@st3864 modem router

Hi susanneNT, whilst we're unable to change the number of devices you can connect to the Optus provided modem, you can certainly try connecting a router. Not something we can support you with technically, shouldn't be too hard though

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor susanneNT
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Fatso
Occasional Contributor

I totally agree that in this day and age 16 device is simply nowhere near enough! 

In our home (2 adults and 2 children) we have the following devices which we would like to connect to our new FTTN router:

5x laptops
3x tablets
4x phones
3x printers
1x nintendo dsi
1x leappad platinum
1x Nintendo Wii
1x FETCH TV box

so far that is a total of 19 devices, and that's WITHOUT any visitors who may want to connect to our wifi.............

This issue needs a PRIORITY FIX as it was provided as a part of our 2 year contracted NBN service! 

Moderator Marie

Completely understand your frustration Fatso, at this stage we don't have any plans to replace our current hardware.

I'll certainly pass your feedback on.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I believe that it is NOT a hardware issue, it is the firmware which needs to be altered........

Apply an updated firmware which is pushed through to enable it to support more wifi connections.

In any other NORMAL internet connectivity device they have usually been open ended amount of WIFI connections and if they have had restrictions I've still been able to easily change the amount of permitted connections! 

Oh and by the way, our situation changed just last night and I now need 20 WIFI connections because I have another work device which I need to have connected to WIFI.......

I've also searched as to how I can use my old Netgear N600 ADSL router and have it connected by LAN, but that has proven a nightmare so far......

RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hi @Fatso, the AC WiFi version of the Sagemcom modem gives you access to the 5GHz and 2.4GHz frequencies, essentially doubling the device capacity to 32 (16 devices per frequency). Please send me a PM with your full name, DOB and account number if you'd like me to look into sending one out to you.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Occasional Contributor

my OLD Netgear N600 DGND3700V1 was able to have 32 clients on each frequency.
NETGEAR home routers can accommodate up to 32 clients per wireless band. If your router is dual band, the total wireless clients your router can handle is 64 (32 for the 2.4GHz and 32 for the 5GHz).

This certainly is a MUST for ANY modem/router these days! 

http://kb.netgear.com/24043/How-many-clients-can-you-connect-wirelessly-to-a-NETGEAR-router

RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

At this stage there are no plans to adjust the firmware to allow for more connections than are currently available. Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, I'll pass it along to our Product team.

0 Kudos