Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Durv
Occasional Contributor

Re: Non Direct Debit Fee

i cant afford it either , im on a pension . and yes i realised at the time (during the phone call that i was signing a verbal  contract .as it was a very lengthy discussion .he was cold canvasing me pushing me into nbn and telling me if i didnt sign up now id have no cable next week . i tended to believe him after a year of optus  bulk mailing me  telling me to choose soon cos theres only weeks left .  you have to understand . i never wanted nbn . i got 37mbs only my cable after a few pc tweeks .and kept telling them im not paying an extra 10 bucks a month for 3 mbs .. hense why they offered me a 6 month free trial with a pack 4 speed of 80mbs ... at no time during our discussion was anything mentioned about any fee , not even 70 a month once my 6 months were over . i proved that , after i got a bill saying i was on the 70 dollar plan , which i disputed, as i told the rep i didnt want to go on a a plan untill i tried it first .to which he told me the plan on the paper work was needed to give me the free 6 months ..which later i was told . optus dont do a free 6 months . but because i made them go through the recording of the call .they saw ,, everything i said was the truth . so . they credited my account 420 dollars .to cover the 6 months i was promised . 1st invoice i got (which i never asked for as my mobile bill goes through my optus yes . so i told them to join the two which they never ). it was more then the 70 dollars i was expecting  short from my credit .it was exactly 4.20 more . i looked on the front of the invoice which is where all my charges are  or should be , and it said nothing about it . then i flick over and theres the 2.20 paper fee and 2.20 non direct debit fee ..;.well im not happy . i can see at this rate im not going to get my 6 months free . and im tied to a contract i never wanted .. so yes , i rang and complained . when i told them the situation they agreed , it all sounded a bit stupid , and theres no communication there . they resolved it .by sending me a cheque for the 6 months they were taking the paper bill and charging me the non direct debit fee .. so im thinking this matter is over and done with ..but no . 1st invoice after my 6 months . which was last week . boom 72.20 ... so yeah im a bit peaved at optus . no consistency . staff dont communicate  or and dont fill in the computer information properly on a phone call . as well as not knowing the deals that are on  ie: giving me 6 months free when they dont have a 6 months free deal .. and miss leading public information .  as i showed you before . in that billing piece . the bpay section is separate to the bill paying by card or account section . and appears to encourage you to use bpay . personally i dont mind the 10 extra data fee . if i use my two ggig , i really dont want to run out of data , so them automatically giving me more for 10 bucks is ok by me . if it wasnt ? id go into my phone and set data restrictions , so i didnt go over in a month ....but i think in general we agree otus needs some fine tuning 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Nat73 

I too thought the payment rules covered all payment types but I think the legislation had a specific target in mind - AMEX cards that get big (and increasing) point benefits that are hidden in transaction costs that people paying by Visa or EFTPOS pay for but don't get the benefits. I presume this also introduces an element of 'competition' for other payment types (so if Visa is .5% and BPay is 3% then BPay might look to drop their charges.)

In your article link the info is at the top:

Included and excluded payment types

Covered payment types are:

• Eftpos (debit and prepaid)
  • MasterCard (credit, debit and prepaid)
  • Visa (credit, debit and prepaid)
  • American Express “companion cards” (American Express cards issued through an Australian financial service provider, rather than directly through American Express).

Those payment types that are not covered by the ban include: BPAY, PayPal, Diners Club cards, American Express cards issued directly by American Express, cash and cheques.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@maxmillion 

I raised a similar question in this thread. The official response was: 

BPAY & Non Direct debit fees

Fixed line accounts (Home phone & Broadband) If you haven't setup a direct debit, a non direct debit fee may apply for:

• Customers who pay their bills via BPAY 
  • In-person payments through Australia Post 

Mobile services:  If you haven't setup a direct debit fee, a non direct debit fee will not apply

• Customers who pay their bills via BPAY 
  • In-person payments through Australia Post 

Other

• Cash payments do attract a payment processing fee of $1.75 (Mobile + Fixed)
  • Payments made via credit, debit or charge cards incur a 0.427% (Mobile + Fixed)

I found the triple negatives torturous "If you haven't setup a direct debit fee, a non direct debit fee will not apply" 🤔 As well as the wishy washy use of "may" that OPtus seems to like in their contracts these days (The legal department is really earning its salary with iron clad language like that)

So BPay seems to still get pinged the $2.20. The text you quote talks about a "BPay Savings" transaction which I'm wondering if this is a distinct product that is different from just doing a manual BPay transaction? Makes sense as the main reason Direct Debit is subsidised by Optus is because it means they are much more likely to get the bill paid on time every time. BPay Savings sounds like a similar automated option.

Other than that all I can suggest is contact Optus and request a $2.20 refund (probably each month).

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Durv ,

Yeah the Optus NBN transition was not handled well by Optus early on (and that's being kind). They got heavily fined for aggressive and misleading tactics designed to force customers across fast. The disconnect between internal systems also is apparent often with one person promising one thing and then nothing changing. The need to keep following up the same issue (instead of Optus just taking ownership and fixing it) was a big problem. 

These days it seems things are improving but yes, there still seems a way to go. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

oh yeah    ,  that may apply tells me one thing peter.  that is  well charge you it , unless you complain  then we may refund you ...   thats just bad business 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

never thought id see the day  that cash was no good to pay bills with .

Highlighted
New Contributor Farnz
New Contributor

Charging a $2.20 fee to ensure you pay direct debit instead of allowing you to pay via BPay which as a transaction fee of a 15-16 maximum is a bit much. I'm pretty sure the profit margin made by Optus would cover a 16c transaction fee. They are just hoping people don't notice them going for a little extra. Hence why every time someone complains they say, sure here have your 2 years worth of $2.20 paid back. Then when the 2 years is up they're hoping you'll not notice that you are now actually paying the $2.20 again cos it has been on your bill for the past 2 years

Pretty sneaky really

https://www.canstar.com.au/online-banking/what-is-bpay-and-how-does-it-work/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus charge a $2.20 fee to encourage (not ensure) its not used as a payment method.

BPay fees are apparently 15-60 cents btw (not 15-16)

At Optus Credit card etc. now attract a fee of around 40c per $100 bill.

BPay is not a right, just a handy option some customers might like. There is no legal requirement for fee's on BPay to be a particular amount (unlike credit / debit transactions). The $2.20 fee is clearly listed in the CIS. 

If you can get it refunded from complaining then that's a definite plus.

0 Kudos