Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Durv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Non Direct Debit Fee

that makes no sense . and no they cant charge what they like for processing . that total garbage . you optus clowns  might think you can . but there is laws around how and what fees businesses charge  thats why the accc exists  for ppl like you that think they can charge what they want .  no wonder optus is one of the most disliked businesses here . ive honestly had nothing but issues with optus this year .when i got nbn they lied to me .i had it in writing that id get 6 months free nbn to try it as i didnt want to switch to nbn . they told me i had to because in 3 months all cable will be cut off .after  they told me  there was no 6 month free deal and even today there is still cable running . so i was lied to ,to get me to sign up with them .it took two months to finally get my nbn . then i got billed for both ,nbn and cable .because optus didnt turn my cable off ..so i had to fight them then to get what i was told . you can defend optus all you like . but as far as im concerned . theyre scammers . lieing misleading  money grabbers 

0 Kudos
Durv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

well said .. and yes  .its pretty sad when optus has to throw sympathisers on here to justify the b.s  they try and feed us 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus make no secret that they prefer people to pay by Direct Debit. They make it as clear as they reasonably can IMO that other methods have fees because ... they want people to pay using direct debit! I don't know how much clearer this statement can be.

Note: Accounts with an NBNtm, ADSL or Cable service will be charged a $2.20 processing fee each month if they don't use direct debit. 

Optus also detail the fee in at least three critical places (including every bill) that I'm at a loss to understand how it is in anyway "sneaky" or "hidden".

This fee has been around for over a decade (you can search "Direct Debit" in this forum and probably get hits complaining about it going way back. So no, not just around since last year (They did however recently change the Credit Card related fee to less then 50c for an average bill instead of $2.20). 

I get you have an ideological dislike of paying fees (I do too which is why I don't), but I did ask ages ago, how do you square this with most walk in business that charge you a surcharge of 1% when you opt to use Visa/Mastercard instead of EFTPOS or Cash? As I see it transaction charges are a very real cost of doing business. One way or another a company has to recoup them, whether its by individual surcharges or by having "no" charges but instead just increasing the overall price of their service/product for everyone.

At the moment I pay nothing extra when i pay my Optus bill (an option available to every single customer). I don't need to be an Optus employee to prefer it stay that way and definitely don't agree with the suggestion that I pay more just so others can pay less for their wishes. But personal preference aside, I don't think there is any significant moral or legal reason why Optus (or any company) must provide all payment option for free.

But we can agree to disagree. You're correct that when people not using direct debit are asked if they don't want a processing fee 99 out of 100 are going to say "Sure". But for many/most of Optus customers they've already got free payments.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"that makes no sense . and no they cant charge what they like for processing . that total garbage"

Agreed, and no one ever said or suggested that. In fact the exact opposite has been stated many times in this thread.

"its pretty sad when optus has to throw sympathisers on here to justify the b.s they try and feed us "

I generally like the discussions. Learn stuff myself. For my part I find it pretty sad when the best comment someone has devolves to "You must be a secret Optus employee because you disagree with me and provide me with facts and links to support them". Play the ball, not the man.

FWIW I've called Optus out plenty of times about some of the really dubious (crossing into illegal) stuff they have pulled over the past few years. But this is one area I personally don't agree that they've done anything wrong (morally or legally). Could the win some more customers by dropping all fees? Sure and the more people that people that post their dissatisfaction (or better yet walk) the better IMO.

From your various posts it seems your issues with Optus go much deeper than a $2.20 charge. I'm sorry to hear about your NBN experiences (all too common on this forum although FWIW the bit about 3 months only on cable was true, you might get longer but one day it will just be switched without warning and you will be without internet for about a month if you want to get onto the NBN). My genuine suggestion would be to look around. There are plenty of smaller NBN providers that offer similar services and have a strong emphasis on customer service (plus no payment fees 😍)

The NBN has given you that option and the best way to get Optus (or any company) listening is to leave.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Durv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

im not actually attacking anyone except optus lol .  and i find it hilarious , that the  what i call sympathisers , and this is why i do .  im against a fee  that , (read carefully as you tell me to ) isnt apart of any contract i signed . again this fee was introduced by howard in 96 .it wasnt made compulsory or law .  optus havnt used that policy in 20 years .but now in 2018 they start slugging ppl with it . 2019 they say , you have to use it  or we will charge you for not using it . and thats my gripe .

pretty much end of story . its not as clear as you make it seem .when you read the contract . they talk about card and bank payments and fee on adsl nbn..... i dont argue that .. but thats the end of the paragraph and sentance   and part on paying ..then theres a huge gap and a new heading , paying by bpay .. and it encourages you to get on line and pay your bill via bpay ... nothing more .. so thats what i do .. only to find out after i get my bill theres a little charge there for not paying direct debit ... now i dont know what planet some ppl are on , but on mine thats deception .which is not morel where i come from .. 

but wait ........    you dont like that when you go over your data usage you get hit with a 10 dollar fee .
but thats in the contract , its on the optus app that shows how much your data is being used ..your going over your data , noones making you .and you get x amount of extra gig for your 10 dollars ? and your complaining ? ha ha ha  haa . so you dont like paying for receiving extra data after youve gone over what youve used but i bet you dont want to have no data either ?  yet it explains that so clearly on your phone in the contract and on tv and radio  . you can not miss those facts ,theyre not hidden or at a different part of your bill like the non direct fee hides lol  .

i get nothing for my 2.20  lol  and my agreement with optus was 70 a month for nbn  unlimited .so i cant go over to attract more data fees . not 70 a month plus.........   as i said i dont care when they brought the fee in . it wasnt in the contract i signed  because optus didnt have that fee when i signed up . and i wasnt notified personally of any change in my contract about that fee .. so i think my dislike  over rides your going over data n not like paying for more lol ..
sryy mate  thats just too funny 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

All good points @Durv ,

Maybe I need to do some googling, but you haven't really explained this "Howard's Law" thing. I'm not sure what he did that applies to billing now or direct debit etc?

You mentioned you recently moved to the NBN. This by definition means you have recently signed a new contract. All existing contracts ended in the change over to the NBN and anyone joining the NBN effectively signed a new contract. That contract stipulates payment fees etc. You may have been unaware you were signing a new contract (presumably verbally or online live chat?) but you did.

I totally agree the $10 for 1Gb is also front and centre in Optus CIS and plans etc. and yes we all voluntarily sign up for that kick in the teeth. But so was the Premium SMS scam and leasing plans until recently. Optus was found to have totally mislead or negligently exposed customers to fraud on a massive scale. They were fined the (then) maximum $10 million and told to reimburse as many as they could. It was a slap on the wrist but it got them shut down.

Personally I believe the exposure of Optus customers to unlimited penalties for a process that relies on Optus eventually telling them that they now owe $1000 and with no ready mechanism to opt out of this trap is equally unconscionable and hopefully at some point the ACCC will shut it down too. 

In contrast, Optus are doing equal or better than the ACCC has recently legally stipulated when it comes to fees and I don't see why the ACCC would need or want to intervene further.

For your $2.20 a month you got to choose your payment method and avoid signing up to a direct debit deal. That's not a luxury I can afford so I go direct debit.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
maxmillion
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter; FYI:

I have just requested a copy of my nbn plan tonight from Optus.

It states a $2.20 fee will be charged each month if I choose not to pay by direct debit.

It states a $2.20 paper invoice fee will be charged each month if I choose to receive a paper bill.

It also states if I pay by BPay savings or direct debit from a bank account or credit card there are no processing fees.

So why am I now being charged processing fees by Optus when  I pay by BPay?

0 Kudos
Nat73
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey Peter,

Hmmm I’m not sure we are reading the same article as it’s pretty obvious to me the section on other fees relates to any form of payment. I feel it is open to interpretation. https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/prices-surcharges-receipts/credit-debit-prepaid-card-surcharges#if... ..

“If a business includes in its prices what it calls a ‘service fee’ or a ‘handling fee’ the ban will apply if those ‘fees’ are payable on some payment methods but not others (e.g. the fees apply when a customer pays with a credit or debit card, but not when the payment method is cash). A business is not able to by-pass the new ban by introducing what is in effect a payment surcharge but calling it something else.”
So in terms of Optus, the way I see it, the non direct debit fee is charged for all payment methods bar direct debit, so effectively it’s a payment fee. Whilst this is associated specifically in card payments, it seems to be addressing the potential for calling a fee something else as they use the example of paying in cash. Optus could almost be accused of double dipping if they then put a card payment fee on top of this. The same section on the ACCC site includes this
“However, ‘fees’ of any sort which are payable regardless of the payment method need to be included in the advertised total price, so the consumer is aware upfront what the total cost will be. If these fees are added to the advertised price later on, the business may not be complying with its existing obligations under the Australian Consumer Law.”

I’ll be interested in what the ACCC defines the non direct debit fee to be and if the intent of this rule only applies to card payment methods.
0 Kudos
Durv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

i totally agree with you . even when i signed up for nbn noone told me there would be a charge for non direct  debit . though i was asked if id like to you direct debit cos he could set it up for me on the phone . and i said nahhh i prefer to pay my bills myself via bpay .that way i know what money im handing out , and he told me that was fine . no mention of if i dont i'll incur charges . and yes id love to know what the accc have to say about it .

Durv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

hey . if your on  100 buck plan . they have to supply you a tax invoice monthly for free  . by law . 

0 Kudos