Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Robyn74
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Non Direct Debit Fee

I have had my contracts with Optus for years I never agreed to pay such a ridiculous fee I am charged each month to pay my bill by my debit MasterCard fine but now they want to charge for me not direct debit he’ll no Optus changes bills I have been on same plan for years now due to as they put it a change in billing structure every month it’s up by 5 which shouldn’t be there every month I have to waste time getting it removed now they want to charge me another crapy fee for them doing nothing hello what about the debit card surcharge I get every month
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The BIlling Fees have be prominent in every CIS I've ever seen:

Payment processing fee - If you don’t pay by direct debit (bank account or credit card) or BPay savings, a payment processing fee will apply. For details, go to optus.com.au/payments

What is weird is that the CIS seems to still be stating BPay Savings has no fee but as far as I know its only direct debit that if fee free. @Ray_YC can you perhaps confirm?

This fee has been around for a long time. Its possible your account was lucky enough to be overlooked for a long time too but it seems you're now up for paying it like the rest of us.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
maxmillion
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It appears the question continues from customers to Optus seeking the reasoning behind the non debit fees. It appears customers have been doing so since 2016.

I was also never charged this fee prior to 2019 when I switched from broadband to an nbn  bundle that included the fetch box.

In addition, I am also now charged a paper bill fee. 

On another post,  Optus advised that customer that you won't be charged for both.

If you are paying the paper invoice fee you will not be charged the non direct debit fee.

Is that correct? 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The issue is has been a long time thorn for many customers.

It has been stated (officially) at various times that a customer should only get a single $2.20 fee.
There is nothing in the CIS that states this (both fees are listed separately). However the full contract (Sect 6.4 explicitly states: If you are charged a paper invoice fee, we will not charge you the monthly account processing fee (non-direct debit fee) that may otherwise apply.)

But the the CIS doesn't seem to reflect Optus policy properly. I'll make a separate post asking Optus what is going on.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Nat73
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Maybe someone should review the details relating to the ban on excessive surcharge for payment handling put out by the ACCC and enforced in 2017. Direct quote below

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing-surcharging/payment-surcharges/qa-payment-surcharges#when-d...

“To be clear though, if you impose a fee, however you describe it, that is payable on some payment methods but not others, then it is likely to be a payment surcharge. The ban will apply and the amount that you surcharge will be limited to your costs for accepting that payment method.”
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That aspect has always interested me. A flat fee ($2.20) for multiple payment options seems to run counter but the link you provided says quite clearly its ok. The legislation only covers credit card payments (as far as options Optus offers). At 1.5% recommended Optus could easily charge $1 in fee's so the question is where the rest comes from. There's a few allowances however I suspect its a but of a stretch getting to $2.20 in processing costs.

It seems likely Optus have never had to justify the fee as ACCC have never been involved. Perhaps a few complaints to the ACCC will see Optus being told to wind down this fee.

Peter Gillespie
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Heads up @petergdownload

I managed to get some more info on -  Incorrect CIS summaries? Or has Optus changed its billing policies 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Durv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Any business would include all their going out costs before they set a product price. To say optus are reclaiming some fees is total b . S. They’re just trying to scam ppl. I got one lot of non direct debit fees refunded in cheque by optus. So that to me is admitting the fee is bogus. Now I’m getting the fees again And I’ll use their last refund as proof to get another one. Because optus know it’s not a fair fee.

It should be removed altogether. The name itself just contradicts itself. You can’t charge a fee for not using a free service for one. Two. This is Australia not a communist country. We can pay our bills any way we like. As long as we pay them Not be told how to.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Durv 

I think you're confusing communism and capitalism.

Communism is where everyone pays equally and this is the system you appear to be proposing. Optus working out the total costs of processing payments and then dividing it between all customers before being hidden in the increased monthly bill. Why should I and many others have to pay more just so you can have your preferred choice of payment?

And how do you rationalise happily paying a credit card surcharge at almost all stores of around 1% btw? 

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Durv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

your right  we should all pay equally . were all getting the same service ,and optus dont care if your living on a pension or earning 100k per year .its the old rich get richer story all over again . and optus being the only telco that says your bill will be 70 a month but then charge you a sneaky 4.40 a month for paper bills and the ridiculous no direct debit charge . the only ppl ive seen on this post saying the fees are just, have to be part of the optus team . because no sane person would agree that a free service you are not using en tales a fee . jt just doesnt make sense . nowhere do i know of anyone else using the john howard fee . does a bus driver charge you more if you dont use a travel card and youd prefer to pay cash ?  no !!  i have been with optus for over 20 years and i never agreed when i signed to pay a certain way .so unless this was a fee established in my contract . it doesnt exist . i am a consumer they are giving me a service i pay for . the cost i was quoted was 70 a month .and unless im getting an extra service my bill should not change .i never asked for paper billls ,but i got them anyway . and was charged for them .at least i got a piece of paper for my 2,20 . 
if optus want ppl to only pay via direct debit .it should be stated as such at the time of purchase . not when optus feel like throwing it at you .. optus is meant to be fee free , thats the bottom line .

deception is not a good business practice , and being one of the leading telco services . shouldnt need to do that to get customers . the nbn is dodgy anyway .it wasnt what we were told it will be . depending where you live depends how you receive nbn .either direct connection or bouncing off towers 100 miles away .were still using telstra lines not the optic fibre new deal we were led to believe .and some places still cant get nbn . so were paying for a inferior trial idea anyway.it common knowledge australias internet is one of the worst in the world ,were even behind some 3rd world countries . and using 2nd hand lines to run it . its time  businesses stop trying to rip ppl off ,and start giving them value for their money .

0 Kudos