Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Brother_Fox
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Non Direct Debit Fee

Hi Peter,

I run a small business and I charge NO FEES for people to pay me. If I did, I don't think my Customers would appreciate it or appreciate me "dictating" how to pay their invoice. There is currently NO CHARGE for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) via your bank to pay somebody else, & all bank fees that OPTUS are charged are ttax deductible, so the fee for not using direct debit, in my opinion is illegitimate.

What is also illegitimate is charging someone for a paper bill, when upon sign up of the account it was clearly stated that NO PAPER BILL WAS REQUIRED! OPTUS are clearly gouging their customers & not operating transparently. I was never informed of non-direct-debit fees prior to signing up with OPTUS, I only found out from my first invoice. If they do this to 10,000 customers, without them being aware, it's into a nice $22,000.00 income stream.

I am extremely disappointed with OPTUS since signing up with them, don't even get me started with how many times a day I have to reset my poor quality OPTUS FTN NBN Modem!!!!!Smiley Mad

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hello. It is the little things that get us most worked up.

Charging a processing/payment fee is pretty standard for many businesses these days so I'm not sure why Optus doing it would be illigiment. Optus doesn't offer an EFT payment option and I suspect its not really set up to efficiently process thousands of customers every day. All other payment options incur costs to Optus. FWIW Tax deductability doesn't mean No Cost, just that Optus can reduce the amount they ultimately pay by 30%.

You would have been informed of the fees though, as all Optus plans come with a required CIS (Critical Information Summary) that all potential customers should definitely read thoroughly before signing up. In this instance they state:

Billing
• Paper invoice fee
You’ll be charged $2.20 each month if you choose to receive a paper bill. To see your bills online, or request email billing
go to optus.com.au/myaccount

• Payment processing fee
If you don’t pay by direct debit (bank account or credit card) or BPay savings, a payment processing fee will apply.
For details go to optus.com.au/payments

I don't disagree Optus pocket a tidy sum from these small amounts and its billing business model has long taken advantage of people either not noticing the fees or deciding that $1.50 just isn't worth the 60 minutes needed to get it reversed.

Not sure what you're saying about the paper bill though? If you don't want one then you just set that in MYACCOUNT. If you got billed in error for a paper bill Optus will recredit it on request. Note that I think Optus combine the Paper Bill and Non Direct Debit Fee so if both OR either of these is not done you will get the same fee (not 100% sure on that though)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
ChrisAmieFong
New Contributor
New Contributor

I refuse to have my bills directly debited for the simple reasons that for the last 18 months or so since I had to have the NBN installed, Optus has consistently overcharged me, has failed to remedy the situation each month even though the calls I make to Optus each time supposedly rectifies the issue or has introduced new charges for services I have never asked for nor agreed to or rebills me for the amounts that were supposedly removed. I am a senior citizen on the Disability Pension and cannot afford to have even $1 overcharged from my account. Frankly I am sick and tired of the shocking customer service from Optus. I have been a loyal customer of Optus since 1994 and deserve way better service than that I have been subjected to in the last eighteen months. 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@ChrisAmieFong ,

Its seems a little reverse logic if you can't afford a $1 overcharge to instead opt for a $2.20 fee instead?

One of the primary benefits of the NBN is choice. You can have quality highspeed internet from any RSP now. Just takes a phone call and you're swapped. There are plenty of deals out there now that could save you $20+ a month if they're a better match for you needs. Other companies also have different service capabilities. If you stick with Optus despite being so disappointed then that is your choice. PM me (click on my name) if you'd like to discus some possible options.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there ChrisAmieFong,

You definitely have the right to not want to have Direct Debit in place on your account.

Is there a particular issue/complaint that you need assistance with?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Nat73
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I know I’m late to the party here but how about this. I p...

I know I’m late to the party here but how about this. I prefer not to give people open access to my bank accounts, esp Optus, who, in the past few years, had a computer glitch that caused multiple draw down of the one invoice on customers accounts in a very short period of time, like minutes. I can only imagine the chaos that would cause people esp with loan repayments and offset accounts. I choose to keep my account in credit, so I’ll put $500 in every 6 mths. I still get the non direct debit fee even though the account requires 0 payment.
tmacphedran
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes, I actually asked if I could pay for my full year in...

Yes, I actually asked if I could pay for my full year in advance to alleviate any issues but was told this wasn't possible. Seems they didn't want my money!
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus only (usually) debit the funds they are entitled to...

Optus only (usually) debit the funds they are entitled to. So while paying a lump sum up front could perhaps incur a single $2.20 processing fee it's not an option. I suspect as much because reversing such payments as would be requested from time to time would be a nightmare to manage 

FWIW Optus so incur processing costs. Both internally or externally. Some businesses swallow these costs but they still exist. IMO many are happy to accept the free option and save. They would rather not be forced to pay a hidden processing cost because a few did not want to take up the option. 

There are good reasons not to do direct debit but no reason why everyone else should pay for individuals who take that path.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Nat73
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ahhhh.....Peter if only that were true. Optus charged me...

Ahhhh.....Peter if only that were true. Optus charged me for services I did not received for 3 consecutive months after I cancelled the service. I had to pay it or cop the late payment fee on top of that. 5 months down the track and I'm still battling for the credit, even though I have emails confirming service cancelation and transcripts of when I rang to escalate the issue. Still no joy, so off to the ombudsmen I go. The fee is just an added anoyance. I  just wish I could charge them a fee every time I have had to write, call, wait on hold, retell the issue. I should be able to charge a late fee of $15 for not crediting my account.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

,   Yeah they do stuff up. IMO that's OK. Its the problem...

@Nat73 ,

Yeah they do stuff up. IMO that's OK. Its the problems resolving the stuff ups that to me are a big mark down. It doesn't help that the Optus business model seems founded (in some part) in making getting a resolution so difficult that most people give up (or don't even start). A complaint like yours should only take one phone call and a small amount of investigation.

I agree the TIO would seem the next appropriate step. 

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos