Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Arafura
New Contributor

Re: Non Direct Debit Fee

IMO this is not reasonable, I want a service where I can set up a scheduled bill payment and not have to micromanage it every month. Pay a set amount each month that I can't exceed unless I choose to go online to my account and change my plan. I always pay ahead and more then what I think the bill is going to be, run credit so I don't get caught with a late fee and have an impact on my credit rating. Why should I have to do this to protect myself from being gouged by a dishonest corporation. IMO!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor tmacphedran
New Contributor

I am new to Optus and setup direct debit the day after my account commenced as I was aware there were charges with other payment methods.  It appears that they then issued a bill which I received several days later, but which the system registered as being issued the day my service connected. This meant that although direct debit said it was setup and would arrange payment, when I logged into my account the day after my bill was due it said it was OVERDUE. Apparently setting direct debit up straight away wasn't fast enough! I spoke online with an Optus Rep who advised what had happened and told me I could pay via BPAY with no fees. I then clearly stated that I would prefer to pay via BPAY as I can pay my bill as soon as it arrives rather than having it sit around waiting for direct debit. I explained that I setup direct debit because I did not want to pay fees. The representative told me I would be fine with BPAY and that I could cancel the direct debit.  I then find an Optus page that states I will have to pay a $2.20 fee for not using direct debit.  I just cancelled my direct debit on the advice of this representative.  Why did she not tell me about the $2.20?  Because the direct debit didn't go through the first time (which it clearly indicated it would) am I going to be charged the $2.20 I was not expecting for the first account?  Why aren't people told these things!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It does sound like shoddy advice. 

Optus policy is definitely to charge $2.20 if you don't have direct debit set up. With your initial issue it was obviously all a bit fast so Optus will just re-credit any fee on request. 

Easiest thing to do is to just set up the direct credit again and be done with it. However you might like to wait until your next bill is paid (by BPay). Its possible Optus accounts have a 'waive fees' checkbox option and the sales agent has just done this for you because they could. So there's a chance all payment methods are free for you - unfortunately only one way to find out is to risk the $2.20 charge. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor tmacphedran
New Contributor

Thanks Peter.  I just set it up again to be on the safe side. Don't like having my bills sitting around unpaid, but I will just learn to pretend it isn't there.  Will definitely speak with them if I receive a $2.20 on my next account for the first bill and ask them to waive the fee.  Clearly I was confused by the 'success' screen when I setup my first direct debit 🙂 Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor maxmillion
Occasional Contributor

As a long standing optus customer I have also just received my latest monthly home phone/internet bill that now suddenly includes a non direct debt fee of $2.20 plus a paper bill fee of $2.20.

I do not agree with these charges now being applied on top of considerable $90 for an internet service that leaves a lot to be desired. 

Since the introduction of the nbn, we have had nothing but constant outages as well as a speed pack chosen not being supported by the line.

I should be charging optus for not providing me with a service. 

As an aging member of society, I believe that in this instance, business should waiver these costs to customers, not penalise those who need a paper bill for clarity nor  may not hold a credit card to direct debit. 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

Your post raises a lot of different issues. First up Optus provides free billing options. Get your bill by email (an identical version to the paper copy that just doesn't need a tree chopped down to provide it). Pay your bill by direct debit (Just needs a bank account).

Neither of these things seem particularly onerous and if you disagree then $2 is a small price to pay for deciding to do it your way.

As for the NBN speeds etc. Then that's a seperate issue. Any charges for a speed pack that your home can't actually receive should be refunded on request. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor maxmillion
Occasional Contributor

In this day and age Big companies like Optus should be setting an example and using recycled paper and not chopping  down trees in the 1st place.

And No one should have to pay to receive a bill or to pay a bill. 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Agree where paper bills are still being requested they should be recycled paper. (I don't think Optus or any big corporation does that though). But obviously no paper bill is much more environmental than even recycled bills. You can access all your past bills anytime online in MyAccount.

I believe offering a free payment option is a legal requirement these days and Optus provides one. You need a bank account and just set up a direct debit. FWIW there are always costs involved in processing bills (Optus has to pay BPay a fee for example if you decide to pay that way). Optus could definitely take on that cost and spread it across all of its customers. However that would mean the monthly prices go up a bit and I don't think its reasonable that I (and others) have to pay extra so those that simply prefer paying their own way get to pay less.

That said, there's plenty of people that really don't like these fees and perhaps Optus will take head of this thread and change its options down the track.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Decency
New Contributor

Despite the numerous long and wordy contributions of our "esteemed contributor" Peter... the simple facts remain. Optus will waive these fees if you challenge them. All customers need do is imagine the outcry if every business charged custiomers a fee if they refused to have bills direct debited from their accounts. The notion is patently ridiculous. 

Peter began his contribution to this thread by stating "sounds like the squeeky wheel getting the grease". Well yes... squeeky wheels are best attended to with proper maintenance and in a comptetive market such fees have absolutely no place at all. 

Again for all those visiting this thread.... ignore the spin regarding the cost of Bpay to Optus and simply challenge the fees. 

My plan is absolutely up to date all of these highly questonable fees have been appropriately compesated. 

Be a sqeeky wheel and definately do speak up.