Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Yesno
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Non Direct Debit Fee

Your missing the point entirely.
They are charging for giving us nothing!
I dknt know where you get the .34c from, every month they charge me an extra $2.20, for what?
I pay via Bpay through my bank on the due date, how is that a $2.20 cost to them??
By the way I'm not paying it!
0 Kudos
Yesno
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Not on payment plan, buy phones outright, just pay for Internet and unlimited data, pay by Bpay through my bank, so I refuse to pay $2.20 for nothing??
0 Kudos
Nat73
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey Peter. Firstly show a little bit of sensitivity. No need to throw salt in the wound even if you do think if you can afford $80 then you can afford the fee. It’s not our place to judge other people and their circumstances. In relation to the reduction in the fee, well not she if you had to ask for it. I had read it was changed but never passed on to me. I was still paying the $2.20. I left in the end on principle. I was pay $85 for speed cap of 25mps, and 500g. Optus charge premium prices, a lot more than some other providers. I suggest to people if your not happy leave as in this day and age there are comparable plans that give more bang for you buck and, guess what no non DD fee.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Of all the payment methods BPay costs Optus the most. BPay offer it free to you and charge Optus to process the transaction for them. So there's a very real cost you are incurring.

If you switch to paying by credit or debit card then the fee is reduced to the 34c or so I mention. Its only $2.20 if you like the convenience of BPay.

Up to you if you don't want to pay it. If your account goes $10 (I think) unpaid then you'll get hit with a $15 unpaid bill fee. I heard of people that do ring up each month and get the $2.20 recredited back to their account so that might work too.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Nat73,
Fair call. I can be a a little insensitive in my responses. I agree whether people can afford the fee or not is probably not the point. Customers here are objecting to the fee itself.

Until recently the Optus fee was a blanket $2.20. It was (is) in no way representing the actual processing costs Optus faces. The ACCC mandated some payment methods must reflect actual costs and Optus has actually done even better than legally required with credit and debit cards. And yet in that way companies compartmentalise Optus still charges $2.20 where ever they can get away with it.

Personally I give Optus points for making it pretty clear the fee exists (CIS). Reducing the fee to a reasonable .04% on credit and debit cards and providing a free alternative (Direct Debit). In the scheme of things its not perfect but the choice is in the customers hands.

I agree Optus should have automatically reduced your fee. In general though Optus don't provide a heads up on any possible savings on any of their plans. If you make a mistake or miss an announcement then they'll keep charging you the higher price.

For those sufficiently aggravated I wholeheartedly agree that going elsewhere is the only way Optus will consider changing this policy.
0 Kudos
Yesno
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes agree can leave or just don't pay an illegal fee.

I'd like to see them prove in a court of law that there is a cost to them because we don't pay by direct debit?  Who's charging them for us not direct debiting?

They could always make available account payments at there retail outlets, the way things where done in the good old days.

Banks and big business have taken control of our lives!

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There's a cost to them no matter how you pay. Optus choose to subsidise the direct debit method so its free to customers (it still costs them) - I've never been quite sure but I believe their required to offer at least one free option legally so apparently direct debit is it.

As mentioned your use of BPay is quite transparently costing Optus - BPay literally charge Optus for each person that uses it.

You can pay in person (with cash) at an Australia Post. This method is actually the most costly one for Optus. There is a $1.75 fee if you pay this way.
0 Kudos
Yesno
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

And all tax deductible for them.
Do you work for optus??
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

A tax deduction returns 30c on the dollar.
Ultimately I have no problem with any company charging whatever fees they want to. Just so long as they're up front about them. IMO Optus are plus they provide a fairly easy way to avoid their fee if you want. If you don't like the fee then go elsewhere. If you want the product then be prepared to pay whatever Optus want you to pay (IMO).

And no, I'm not an Optus employee (they're easily spotted as they are labelled as Moderator)

0 Kudos