cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted

Re: Non Direct Debit Fee

Hi Brettley

We can't assist you with any billing matters via the public forum. If you send our social media team a message on Facebook or Twitter they'll be able to help you out there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Totally agree. It's an illegal grab for control of our finances. In the past I have had many run ins with companies and their Direct Debits, and roll on affect with banks if you don't have money when they want to take their payment. The date agreed for direct debit does not mean the date they will take it!
I say to all, take back control of your hard earned money!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

These charges are bogus. You don't go to a store and pay for something and get an extra charge as a processing fee. Telco's prices should take those sort of things into account instead of lumbering you with a surprise fee that wasn't explained to you when you first sign up. They seem to have some sort of extra fee no matter how you pay or are billed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"You don't go to a store and pay for something and get an extra charge as a processing fee."

That's exactly what happens in a lot of stores? I just paid 23c more to pay for my noodles on credit card. The payment surcharge is displayed at the cash register.

" They seem to have some sort of extra fee no matter how you pay or are billed."

You can set up a direct debit and you will pay no processing fee. All other payment methods will have a fee. You will be sent your bill about a week before the direct debit occurs each month so you can review it ahead of time.
Highlighted

Hi @Debido, what @petergdownload is saying is correct. You can avoiding any payment processing fees on your account by setting up a direct debit. 

You can check out our Direct Debit guide for more info. We also have a Late payment and other billing fees guide that goes into some more info about the possible fees that you could see on your bill. 

If you did have any questions regarding your individual bill, please send us a message via the My Optus App so we can help out from there. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

You should not be forced to set up direct debit. This policy WAS NOT IN PLACE WITH VIVIDWIRELESS!
When we were transferred to Optus, we should not have been charged extra if we didn't pay by direct debit.

The government has ruled that companies can ONLY RECOVER THEIR COSTS, not impose penalties such as credit card surcharge or direct debit fines.

There should be a class action so the courts can order users fees re embersed and the practice stopped.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

There are circumstances that people are unable to pay direct debit such as the bill isn't always generated on a day when a person gets paid. Some people live week to week and often their money goes out of their account pretty fast leaving them open to bank charges from rejected fund transactions. Do you think someone should be penalised financially just because they are poor or struggling?
Optus aren't very transparent with all these little catch fees, these all should be included in the contract from the start and not hidden in fine print. The whole reason they do it is so they don't have to pay tax on it.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Peter when I crossed over from long-standing Optus broadband to Optus nbn.. my monthly contract was for $90 .. not $94.40.. those charges cannot be justified.. if I go to a store and buy something for $9.95 that is what I pay..not additional costs for non direct debit etc
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah it sucks to be poor. I buy my phones outright and my data 12 months ahead. Probably leaves me $1000 better off than someone whose only option is to pay month to month for 24 months on an expensive plan. So yes, there's a case to be made that a direct debit fee is hits poor people unfairly.

Just to be clear though, we're talking about a ~34c fee if you're on a $80 month to month plan. I'd suggest if you can afford $80 then you can afford $80.34.

One point I make is that payment options are generally a choice. The costs to Optus are real and as you mention they could just fold that cost into the overall price and all Optus customers would see (in theory) a 30c bump in annual plan prices. Currently I don't pay that because I take the free option (that's available to everyone). Why should my monthly costs rise just to subsidise someone else who prefers to pay cash or credit card etc?

As for transparency, Optus have a patch record on that front IMO but with regards to this fee I think they have be pretty clear and up front. Its prominently listed in every CIS (that every customer should always read in full) You can download one here:

https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/home-broadband/plans/shop
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@maxmillion

Many stores choose to incorporate processing fees into the advertised price. It is becoming increasingly standard but I still visit plenty of places (particularly smaller shops) that require a 1%-3% surcharge to pay by card.

Ultimately (as this thread attests to) the non-direct debit fee does leave a small but significant number of Optus customers annoyed and even angry. The Optus business model has for sometime been to irritate and annoy just enough that people pay up but not so much that they actually leave. People complaining here are likely all still customers.

Hopefully Optus does remove the fee based on feedback like this, but I don't like the chances.

"for $90 .. not $94.40" - just noticed you're referring to the old $2.20 fee? Its now much less than that for a number of payment options (less than 50c) so that's been a move in the right direction.
0 Kudos