Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor MrPhone
Occasional Contributor

Re: Non Direct Debit Fee

Ok I’m now starting to think you work for Optus or are sponsored by them 🙂 

I’m not sure what part of the word FEE you DO NOT understand and how misleading it is to the customers, i don’t care under what legal terms they get charged, especially if it is to get passed onto the customer.

If the bigger corporations have absorbed these fees and Optus is making major profits then i think its a greed thing on their behalf and it might be time that most people wave goodbye to Optus. 

This is clearly a money grab! If people cant see this then god help them on their other bill payments.

You said it yourself…its becoming a legal thing now, I would say Optus had a good one and its time to give back now. Please stop defending them let me just raise the World Cup DISASTER with Optus….NO ONE  can defend them after what happened in that area.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus definitely have some pretty aggressive and greedy practices (Mobile Excess Usage Charges, the Premium SMS scam and the NBN three month transition policy come to mind).  I just don't see a $2 payment processing fee in the same league (particularly when a simple free option is also clearly provided / encouraged)

But you're not alone in the annoyance this fee causes and I'd be the first to cheer if Optus dropped the $2 fee. Although like I mentioned it would probably see me not save anything (as I don't pay it now) and my monthly plan would perhaps quietly go up from $90 to $91 (not so yay Smiley Happy

The sports performance is proabbly another thread. I think the only people more disappointed in how it went than the fans would be Optus themselves - they've staked a lot on becoming a credible content supplier and this was a big fail. Only good thing I can say about it is that they swallowed the bitter pill about as well as can be expected. Full refunds to all customers and allowing the broadcasts to be made Free To Air on the SBS despite the millions they paid for exclusivity.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I hope you do understand were I’m coming at here, if you add up all of that you mentioned that Optus chargers it begins to add up...Its not a good look for them at all. Competition is fierce at the moment with all 3 big Telcos so little things like this will eventually matter. $2 as a one off i wont bat an eye, but a constant recurring charge plus throw in some other hidden charges and that’s when customers start to look elsewhere.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Agree entirely that Optus should be looking hard at changing a (management) culture at making a quick buck from paying customers. Hidden fees, sudden big charges, account and billing hassles etc. all add up to an experience that sees people leaving and or giving bad word of mouth. There's a short term financial gain of course but I've been petitioning Optus that this is really starting to hurt their brand reputation. Stuff ups like the World Cup are in many ways just bad luck, I'm more concerned where Optus makes the deliberate choice to choose revenue over the customer experience.

Added to this is the NBn arriving where suddenly Optus don't have a duopoly on fast broadband anymore and customers can actually start looking around for better options. Optus are great at talking the talk, but IMO they do need to do a fair bit more before customers stop being wary of them.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Couldn’t agree more with what you said, very true.

New Contributor UkesIntas
New Contributor

I have never seen a Bpay Fee by other suppliers !!! Optus are doing a money grab and WILL PAY FOR IT DEARLY at the next governmet Inquiry.  ..................   We all know how all of the major banks have been getting their butts kicked with their money grabs.............  well well well.............  TELCOS WILL BE NEXT !!!!!!!!!!!.........  watch out people ............

New Contributor Decency
New Contributor

Agree with you 100% Cory and I find the clouding of this issue by our "esteemed contributer" Peter to be highly questionable. 

This practice will become illegal in time and absolutely represents a classic example of corprate theft. 

I have been an Optus customer since 2002. I have just called them and obtained a full refund of all "non direct debit fee" charges plus a refund for their all new transaction fee ($2.20 & $1.75). They applied a permanent $5 discount to my account to remove the impact of these very questionable fees from all future bills. The "charges" will still appear on my bill. It took 30mins. 

They know it's wrong. 

I calmly refused to be pushed into direct debit for their apparent convenience. 

We must encourage others to do the same and not be deterred by spin. 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks for the honorific "our" @Decency. I think you're the first poster to assign the crowd a sort collective ownership over my contributions Smiley Happy

FWIW not trying to cloud anything. Everyone has there say here and a forum is designed for a conversation of differing experiences and viewpoints. That said I'm not specifically disagreeing with the general thrust of the thread (read through my past comments). No one likes transaction fees and absorbing them into the overall product cost is one option for all corporations (Just because Telstra, for example, doesn't charge a transaction fee doesn't mean all Telstra customers aren't paying for it anyway. Its just not listed as a seperate line item in your monthly bill). 

Not sure if I said as much in this thread, but I for one prefer the direct debit option as it means I have the choice to avoid the fee altogether while others can pay it if they decide. Removing the fee simply means I have to pay it (now hidden) with no capability to avoid.

I also honestly don't see why its considered "illegal". Use Paypal or a credit card to buy stuff at any store and you'll get charged a "transaction fee". Again its avoidable but there's nothing particularly dodgy about the practice. Bigger companies again absorb the cost so for example my groceries all cost just a little bit more to cover the $$$ Coles pays each year to offer "free" payment methods.

I am surprised you managed to obtain a permanent reduction of $5, especially as its more than twice the fee Optus charge (Optus are basically paying you $2.80 not to use direct debit - something you don't seem to feel is a similarly immoral cash grab? Smiley Wink) I'm not sure what plan you are on but suspect its probably overpriced compared to current plans and some staff generally have the ability to apply a little wiggle room. Alternatively (and you'll need to wait for this one) its possible you'll find no such discount applied when you bill comes around (or it will have been applied to your next bill but will subsequently disappear) - wiggle room appears to be for one off credits (I don't know if front level staff can apply ongoing unilateral discounts.)

Fingers crossed. Be interested in the outcome in two months

Peter Gillespie

PS I did end up trying to query the optus online statement on direct debit fees (below) as I though it was essentially wrong (at best confusing). You can read the post here

If you choose not to pay your account by direct debit, a $2.20 processing fee is charged to your monthly bill(s).  This fee can be avoided if paying with direct debit or via credit, debit, charge or prepaid cards 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Overitall
New Contributor

I agree! Its ridiculous being penalised for paying your bill by Bpay rather than Direct. Debit! The bill is being paid and it should not matter what your payment preference is! Late fees are applied anyway for late payments! I will be leaving as soon my contract is up!!! Rude behaviour Optus!

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You're not being penalized for choosing one method over the other. You're being rewarded for choosing direct debit. It costs Optus money to use a 3rd party BPay option. Optus has to pay bPay to have them handles your payment. That why bPay is ''free" to you. Why should Optus not pass the first of your preference on to you?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos