cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor M4ver1ck
New Contributor

No unit servicibility

I have been with Optus ADSL for over 3 years at my previous rental location. Recently moved to my new unit, in a new apartment which is just a street away. I couldn’t relocate my ADSL service as there are currently no fixed lines installed yet. As a result, I had to unfortunately terminate that service. 

However, I’ve been advised by the developer that I could get cable broadband as the street lamp pole is right outside my balcony with available cabling. After countless live chats and phone discussions, the only response I got was “Unit x in your apartment can be serviced, but not yours.” I must add that optus’s ‘sales’ and ‘technical’ consultants are both useless to an extent. Nobody in the entire organisation has yet managed to justify why a unit in the same appartment as mine can be connected and I can’t. At the moment, only two units are sold in the apartment and the unit which can be serviced remains unsold. 

Is is there any way forward with this? I’m really annoyed with the misinformed Optus consultants.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: No unit servicibility

You're not alone. This post from yesterday asks the same.

Essentially Optus have never gone out of their way to hook up secondary units when blocks split (or units are built etc.) which is strange as they are essentially turning away eager customers at the door. There are a bunch of Optus criteria on whether a second unit can be hooked up, but before you get to that list you need to get someone to come out and see if they apply. With luck you might find someone who can get your unit added to the Optus database but until that formal process is complete, staff back at base are complete unable to sign you up (no matter how sensible it might be)

As I said in the other thread, failing Optus stepping up to the plate is telstra an option?

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor M4ver1ck
New Contributor

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your response. I did venture into the possibility of moving to Telstra but they had similar restrictions to Optus whereby my unit isn’t popping up on their system (the other unit is). I requested Optus to send a technician down to do a visual inspection of the cable but they cannot do that until I sign up for a plan. Over the phone we went through plan details but just before confirming the contract, I reiterated myself again stating that my unit is different from the one they can see on their system. The limited progress we made again came to a grinding halt. I’m pretty certain that if a technician were to come down and check it just once, they will be able to hook us up. But I believe the issue is getting my unit on their Database. Not sure how to go about doing that.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

This article from a while ago talks about getting such a review started. Its Telstra based but its also unclear if once Telstra updates then possibly Optus might too. 

Anyway maybe worth requesting Telstra "submit a request for a service qualification test" to see what happens

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor M4ver1ck
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

So this afternoon i've spent talking to both telstra and optus and unforunately both have pretty much given up on even investigating the property for a potential connection. I attempted to raise the fact with them that their databases could be outdated and if they sent a technician in, they would know that the cable pole is right outside our balcony and the unit that is 'servicable' is right under us. Geographically speaking, it really shouldn't matter.

At this stage I'm out of ideas and pretty miserable to be honest. I work in IT and as such, one of our biggest nightmares is to not be connected to the Internet. However, it looks like I'm going to be disconnected for the unforseen future.

Thanks for all your help!

Kind regards,

Ishaan

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So you specifically requested the test mentioned and got turned down? If try a couple of different operators as the article suggests but otherwise looks like you're on wireless mobile $60 for 200gb or wait for the nbn.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@petergdownload, has given some great advice. 

If you'd like us to perform a coulpe of checks from our end @M4ver1ck, we're happy to do that for you.

Send us a private message.

I'll just need the complete address. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Replied back to that one @M4ver1ck

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos