Searching...

No service

Geo3

I bought an Optus ADSL + Broadband plan for $70 a month but it has never performed.  We get no landline at all and the broadband speed runs around 4 mbs or less with upload at perhaps .6 mbs.  Getting no help/response online or at the Optus shop I hired a technician to try to sort out the problem.  He was assured over the phone that all was good but of course it isn't.

All this really keen stuff about Yes Optus and so forth is obviously not taken to heart by Optus people.  I tried to find out the end date of my contract and was blithely told that it shows up as part of "My Account".  Not true.

Anyway, NBN is just around the corner and might well prove to be a solution.  Guess who won't get the business?

Re: No service

Yeldarb

DSL speeds are normally determined by the distance to exchange and if you put your number into the link below it should give an idea what speeds you should be getting. Keep in mind this does not take into account the condition of the line or the wiring in your house.

https://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/detailedsummarystart.php

Geo3

Thanks for reply.  I'm aware of the exchange distance etc. and according to the site you mentioned we are very close to it - perhaps no more that 500 metres.  I shall have to get the house wiring checked.

Regards.

Yeldarb

You say in your first post that you hired a technician. What did the technician actually do and what was the reason given for the lack of phone service and lack of speed? Have you actually spoken to Optus support about this?

Geo3

Thanks for your interest.  The tech communicated with ever higher contacts in Optus who ultimately admitted that the service had not been "activated".  Thereafter for a few days there was a service albeit with much crackling on the phone.  Since then, as noted we have lived with maybe 4 Mbs/.6 Mbs which is reliable but with no phone service.  Effectively, good for emails and a bit of web search.

I've looked up my first payment for this - more than a year ago - so believe the contract to have ended.  It would be nice to have advice of this though.  I'll check with the Optus shop next time I'm down that way.

In conclusion, I shall wait for NBN and decide then what, how and with whom I shall connect.

Again, thanks for your messages.

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Yes well noise on the line will dramatically affect a dsl connection. Hopefully the NBN service will be error free. Smiley Happy

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
52 Kudos
50 Kudos
30 Kudos
20 Kudos