Searching...
Highlighted

No regard for loyalty

Hoody11

Not sure if anyone else has had similar however I have recently needed to swap my Broadband from NBN to wireless due to moving house. Have been with Optus for close to 17 years. Called today to sort issue with bill where swap from cable to NBN hadn’t been completed properly. All good with first person and problem resolved. They then put me through to the relocation team. A bit of a wait and then got put through to relocations. They sorted out my NBN but informed me I had to go wireless at the new place so they would sort the NBN part and then transfer me to sales to sort out the wireless. After another wait and the second guy sorting my NBN he put me to sales.

Another wait and then got onto somebody. They started to look at everything and told me they had to setup a new account as my NBN account was to be disconnected. Handed over license and Medicare numbers and account was set up. Next I was told that 200 gb would be enough and it would be $65 a month for 24 months and no setup. I mentioned that I had a 12 month lease and was now not comfortable on a 24 month contract as I wanted to go back to NBN ASAP. she then told me I could go month to month but would have to pay $192 for the modem. I asked if there was anything that could be done re the charge as I had been loyal to Optus for so long. Response was there is no loyalty as it is a new service. I raised the fact that it was only a new service because Optus couldn’t provide what I wanted.

when I asked if she thought it was strange that Optus offered me 6 months free as a loyalty bonus to go to NBN however as far as she was concerned I was a new customer. She could see no issue with this and said it was company policy. When I told her I needed to think about it she replied “but I have setup your account”. Strange that she did that without discussing plans. I explained that I had a 12 month lease, wanted to go onto NBN ASAP and had no idea what wireless reception was like in my new apartment so really wanted to go month to month and thought a loyalty bonus in discounting the modem would have been warranted. She repeated it was a new account and it was company policy.

she then proceeded to tell me I could call back tomorrow and organise it all. She also mentioned that she will keep a record of our conversation. I replied that was ok and to also add to the conversation that decisions like this can cause people to leave, which I was considering. Her response was “I can’t record that as it was against policy”. My response was ok, I was happy for my response to be recorded in the transcription however if she wasn’t happy to do that I would go to the crowd. Her response was “ I will record that you have threatened Optus”. I replied “so that is ok to record, can you record the context of the threat”. Surprisingly no.

All I wanted was to go onto the $65 wireless broadband plan on a month to month contract and not have to pay $192 for something I have to buy to continue supporting Optus. The really bizarre thing is I still have 3 months of my free NBN which would have cost about the same money. Has anybody else had similar experiences?

Re: No regard for loyalty

Disenchanted2

Optus was good until they became just another telstra. Sympathy for your plight. We are all in the same effed up sinking ship it seems in this country... & That's not just for internet btw hey! Sorry I can't offer any help, just had to chime in since we seem to never be heard either!!! Good luck ...

petergdownload

Hi Hoody,

While there's a lot of information you've provided it doesn't make a lot of sense yet.

As I understand it you were on the NBN but have move somewhere where the NBN is not yet available? What postcodes are we talking about here?

You mention a 12 month lease. I assume that is a 12 month plan? If you were on a plan then I'm not sure why you felt you could turn this into month to month?

If you are going wireless then a special modem is needed. That costs money ($192) and its not unreasonable for Optus to ask you to pay for it. It sounds like they offered you a free modem if you extend your plan to 24 months (standard) but if you want to go month to month then you have to pay for the modem.

I'm not sure about the "threatening Optus" part. Either it was a misunderstanding due to language or perhaps you said something else you haven't mentioned? 

FWIW Optus are under no obligation to provide internet connections if you change houses. They generally do but its something you can ask for, not demand.

Hoody11

Moving from 3148 to 3166, one whole klm in suburban Melbourne. NBN not available in the part of 3166 I am moving and ADSL not as an apartment.

No, 12 month lease. This is where I have moved to and as such would not be wise to enter a 24 month deal with no guarantee being in same spot after 12 months.

Agree they don’t have to provide anything however will happily provide for free on 24 month plan. No regards for loyalty and the last 17 years of being an optus customer.

Nothing omitted, no threats other than that of social media. Happy for anyone to listen to the recording. Also no misunderstanding of language and no raised voice. 

Not demanding they provide service, as I said at the start, I am looking at changing providers as there is no regard for loyalty. But doesn’t it seem strange to you that they couldn’t continue my account and had to set me up as a new customer? They are one company after all.

petergdownload

Ok. Its still a bit unclear (sorry I'm a bit slow) but I get what you're saying. I'm not sure about your current contractual status? Are you on month to month already? If you are then sure you can move and change providers as you want but if you are already under a 12-24 month deal then you are still obligated to pay that off even if you move (or pay exit fees etc.). Not sure if those apply to you.

Seems your area is going NBN in 6 months (FTTN). FWIW its probably not much of a risk doing a contract now as within about 12 months the large majority of Australia will be covered by the NBN. Most likely if you have to move you'll be ok. However with good wireless options that may be your best bet if you move around a bit.

On the loyalty side of things, I agree it would be nice to have more of that these days, but the reality is that for many companies their business model is now firmly around sweet deals to attract new customers and then increase prices for those that stick around - the lazy tax. Its really only nimble customers who benefit.

Peter Gillespie

Hoody11

Thanks Peter.

I am currently on month to month. I was just concerned that moving to an apartment I don’t know what the wireless reception will be like and preference is always fixed. I was also told that I would probably have to pay an early exit fee if I was to go to NBN when it was available. Just a couple of the things that had me concerned re a 24 month contract.

it is frustrating that newbies get all the goods and we get little for loyalty. That was probably my biggest issue and the reason I am considering moving onto another provider.

Appreciate your views on this and the common sense approach. Quite refreshing these days. Have a great day.

Colin

petergdownload

If you switch from an Optus contract to an Optus NBN contract there should be no exit fees payable. Its only if you moved to another provider that would be the case. As you're on month to month now it should definitely be possible to stay month to month however as you've noted the $192 modem fee has to be paid and isn't optional with a wireless broadband connection. 

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
yozzause

In the merry go round of transferring you to different depatments there is one headed Retention team perhaps you could contact them, i am always amused to see that some large companies fail to look after people that have been loyal customers not flitting around after deals tha keep being offerd to switch. Also the effort and expense they go to trying to win you back after you walk! Banks being particularly guilty of this, and i dare say telcos a close 2nd.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
51 Kudos
50 Kudos
30 Kudos
20 Kudos