Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor jchoo1
New Contributor

No internet due to no copper wire

Hi - I recently built a house in Flemington 3031 Victoria. When I moved in and wanted to install the internet, Telstra told me that there is no copper wire leading to the house and they do not do anymore copper installations, as they only do NBN from now on. Wireless dongles  are really expensive and I want to know what the Telstra person is talking about or if Optus does do copper wire connection.

Please help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: No internet due to no copper wire

Hey!

When they say copper wire, they're referring to the type of connection people used to use for a homephone and sometimes, ADSL broadband. If NBN is in your area, Telstra and all other telcos are not allowed to supply you with a copper connection anymore. Instead, they can provide you with an NBN connection. Depending on your area, this would be via fibre or combination of fibre and copper.

Either way, you should be fine to get an internet connection, it just won't be via copper. Jump onto live chat with Optus and provide them with your address, they'll tell you what is available and how much for - http://yesopt.us/chat2us 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
New Contributor jchoo1
New Contributor

For the area, fibre will come only in June 2019. I have gone to Telstra and they said that since this house was the last house built in the area, there is no copper wire leading from the port to the house itself, and they are not allowed to fix anymore copper wires to houses anymore. As a result, I am supposed to wait till 2019 to get fibre. Meanwhile, Telstra told me to use satelite / dongles which is very expensive.

The builders of the house apparently also did not connect the phone line or any internet wiring of the home to the interchange - so the house is as good as useless when it comes to the need for internet or home phone. Is this the builders responsiblity to get it connected to the main interchange?

What are the other cheaper options to get internet instead of dongle? 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Raise the issue with the TIO here:

https://www.tio.com.au/about-us/contact-us

Ask the TIO if there is an ISP willing to discount your dongle usage until NBN fibre is up and running in your area.  It pays to ask because in order to maintain customer loyalty many ISPs will discount a service if there is an intractable problem.

0 Kudos
New Contributor kirbytim
New Contributor

Hey

Firtstly, apologies, I don't have a solution, I am actually going through the same thing right now so I was wondering if you ever found a solution. I work from home so using dongles is SO expesnive and we arent due the NBN until June next year. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos