cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

No auto $10/10GB charge on usage over 500GB

Is there any way of adjusting anything in the account settings to stop the wireless broadband service once it reaches 500GB? And the service resumes once it reaches the new cycle?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: No auto $10/10GB charge on usage over 500GB

No

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You're not alone in wanting even the most basic opt in / opt out control over this potentially ruinous fee. I'm hopeful that at some point the ACCC will take Optus to court and force them to refund the amounts they've received. But until then its a buyer beware situation (its unfortunate Optus are creating this adversarial relationship.)

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I dont think ACCC will act as this has been in place for close to 4 years that I remember it being on my plans.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You could be right. I also don't know how the fact is all in the contract fits in. The premium SMS scam (phase 2) had been going 5+ years before the ACCC finally ended that with predudice. The ACCC has also stepped up in its roll and powers these past couple of years.

If Optus could provide uptodate reliable data that might be different. They can't. And the fact Optus can turn off a prepaid customer to the kB indicates there's no technical impediment. It's just a policy choice that exposes Optus customers to massive fees.

It's unconscionable, but perhaps not illegal.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Its in the CIS/Contract in regards to excess usage - Premium SMS was barely touched on in those documents.

Id say we may be heading for a way to turn it off via a form of peer pressure from other telcos having offered similar currently e.g. endless data thats shaped/stopped.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Agreed. Optus have always been clear on the charge. However unfair contract terms apply on take it or leave it contracts (like Optus plans). It seems the criteria is:

The ACL protects consumers against contract terms that:

* would cause a significant imbalance in their rights and obligations under a contract
* are not reasonably necessary to protect the business, and
* would cause detriment (financial or otherwise) to a consumer.

As a layman I think a penalty that is not even capped at $1000's (financial detriment), that is non negotiable under any circumstances including theft, fraud, children, malice or even just an honest mistake (significant imbalance) and that might involve perhaps a 10% overrun of data allowance esp. where alternative shaping options exist (not reasonably necessary to protect the business) does meet the criteria necessary.

IMO Optus seems exposed on this issue. They settled (but still won) the Premium SMS scam because penalties went from a maximum of $20 million (chickenfeed) to 10% of annual revenue.

Personally, I don't care about the legalities. Data usage penalties may have been necessary in the past to protect bandwidth to customers but now its patently unnecessary. Optus have simply decided that they make more profit arbitrarily fining customers for no necessary reason.

Hopefully peer pressure (and the threat of a $1 billion fine) might tip Optus into doing the right thing.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Wont be a billion dollars if you can determine $ benefit, then its 3x that.

"In its final report on the ACL Review, Consumer Affairs Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ) recommended penalties for a breach of the ACL be raised from $1.1 million for companies to the greater of $10 million, three times the value of the benefit received, or where the benefit cannot be calculated, 10 per cent of annual turnover in the preceding 12 months."

Even if it was 10%, thats 10% of $9,099 million
If that was to happen, I bet Optus could do what other multi nationals do - legally use loopholes to greatly minimalise any income tax (they paid 309 million tax on actual profit of 1,024 million unlike many other companies).

At least its not the old excess rate of 25 cents per mb.

(Disclaimer - I have never gone over my limit in 9 years)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It may just be too big a hornets nest to poke. It's not just Optus that have these fees historically I think you're right that there might just be some quiet conversations and Optus will introduce a scheme more in line with where the rest of the industry is heading.

Fingers crossed

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Paddylee wrote:
At least its not the old excess rate of 25 cents per mb.

Try $2/MB for Vodafone prepaid back in the day. The're a little better these days at $0.04/MB , but that still equates to a brutal $40/GB, at least they charge in respectable 256 KB ($0.01) increments.