cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Isobaric
Occasional Contributor

No Optus internet service at my new address - really..!

This is an excerpt form a live chat session when I tried to get my cable connection moved. Despite the fact there is a pole with both Optus and Telstra cable along with spare ports on the tap right outside our property. I'm starting loose faith in Optus to provide even the most basic of services - actually knowing their own infrastructre. FYI Telstra is able to supply a service.

Taylor (06:41:55 AEST) : Thank you for the details.
Taylor (06:46:23 AEST) : Thank you for staying online.
Taylor (06:46:49 AEST) : I see that there is no fixed service available at your new address. 
Visitor (06:48:01 AEST) : Well you see wrong as there is a pole with cable and spare taps right outside my property not more than 10m away from my garage.
Auto-Generated Message (06:50:01 AEST) : Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.
Taylor (06:50:28 AEST) : I completely understand, but since we have a different tool to view the services we provide at the address you are relocating to.

And upon checking I see that there are no services available wherein Optus is available at the new address
Taylor (06:51:10 AEST) : Hence you would have to cancel the services with no cancellation charges and look in for a different service provider.
Visitor (06:52:47 AEST) : Are you kidding me? That's your response, no wonder Telco's have a bad reputation. What about sending someone out there to actually check?
Taylor (06:53:23 AEST) : xxxx, the pole may be compatible with other providers.
Auto-Generated Message (06:53:58 AEST) : Visitor has requested for email transcript. The email will be automatically sent after the interaction is wrapped up.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: No Optus internet service at my new address - really..!

What's the postcode and street?

Are you living in a split property? Like a duplex or town house or at 3A etc? 

When is the NBN due to arrive in your area?

Have you confirmed if any neighbours are actually using Optus?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Isobaric
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Here are the details you requested, the poscode is 3195 the Street is Bear Street.

It's new development which was sub-divided and separately titled over 10 months ago.

NBN planned for Jan - Jun 2020 according to the NBN website.

I dont know about my immeadiate neighbours, however there are many Cable connections down the street on both Optus and Telstra cables.

I called Optus, waited 20 mins only to be told by a recorded message that they are having difficulties and I should try later!

So I did, and this time could'nt be bothered waiting past 15 mins and run the risk of being told they are still having difficulties...!

Finally I inquired as a new customer, my call was answered straight away, the gentleman spoke a version of English that I could understand, I gave him the address to which he added to some database and now at least the property is capable of being serviced by a connection.

He is going to call me back to-morrow to make arrangements hopefully to get Cable installed over the next week or so. It does mean that it will be a new service and I can't use existing numbers in addition to paying another installation fee, but it beats having to go through the support channels.

Clearly It's obvious where Optus places it's priorities - "New Business".

I have wasted over 3 hours on this already and I still don't have any definitive answers as to what can be installed as it's subject to an evaluation by a technician at some point in time?

FYI - we put men on the moon faster than this process.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The subdivision of your property will likely be the issue. Optus have a bunch of requirements when connecting to properties (like cables can't cross another person's property) and it would be likely your specific setup isn't in their system. Sometimes Optus just says no, but they can also get an inspection sorted and the property added to their database. 

Its going to (continue to) be an annoying process unfortunately. Hopefully they'll get to the correct resolution.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos