cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No NBN phone service

Had NBN connected on April 15, fttn. Appointment and connection went fine. Everything worked well or so we thought. Wasn’t until 4 days later that friends rang us on our mobiles saying they couldn’t ring in as the home phone was constantly engaged. Rang faults and went through the usual scripted modem reset nonsense, and told them that they obviously had a configuration problem on the Optus / NBN side since switching us over to NBN. Rep finally agreed and lodged a service ticket to escalate the issue, April 19th. Wasn’t expecting anything to happen as it was Easter time, out of the blue Sunday night the 21st a tech rings my mobile claiming he has fixed the issue. My wife calls the home phone with her mobile while tech waits , and yes we now have a functioning home phone. Very happy and quick service especially over the holiday period. Came home Wednesday May 1st after work and wife says phone not working again!!! No green “phone” light on modem!!! Who and why do they keep tampering with our settings? Back on the support treadmill for an hour, usual level 1 scripted support, modem reset blah blah. Oh sorry I can’t fix this, we’ll have to escalate it. We have been with Optus for over a decade and never had any issues, but when things go wrong I’m now seeing how frustrating and poorly structured their customer support is. Just like car salesmen and realestate people they’re your best buddy and all over you whilst signing you up, after that good luck! To date we haven’t been contacted nor having a good NBN experience. After reading so many other posts from others out there with exactly the same issue you would think Optus would procedurally resolve internally what causes such issues to people’s services. Same with when they carry out a copper to NBN changeover they should have a checklist to ensure everything is working properly on the customers account, including bi directional comms on the landline.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: No NBN phone service

A few things to clear up, the "Scripted support" that you seem to have excessive trouble with, is designed to support everyone. You might be more "technologically minded", but by doing all the basics, they limit the ability NBNCo has to reject the ticket as "incomplete/incorrect".  Also, "a check list", the more you expect from them, with the lower and lower prices, something has to give. Unless you're starting to be prepared to pay premium prices for premium support, you can't have everything.

Now, 

You are stating the "phone light" is off on your NBN modem, have you spoken to support and said "It is the same as the ticket #1234567" or did you not reference the previous fault request?

Further, nobody is "tampering" with your settings, nothing is as nefarious as the customer seems to think it is. I'm seeing a correlation of faults, it's the billing system making changes in response to the system detecting different things. So I'm wondering now if there is a jammed order in your billing profile, and when faults fixed it manually, the system goes "hmm, no active phone service, but it's active on the modem, I need to remove that".

You need to also remember, sales and technical support are two different groups. The sales team are not often aware of problems that occur on the account (or the accounting software), so you can't blame them nor associate them as "dodgy car salesmen". Further, NBNCo has nothing to do with the fault on your phone service, they are simply the "last mile" between Optus and you. This is a provisioning fault that I'm sad to say, is not a unique experience I am seeing. I'm seeing more and more people on this forum with the same fault. So if I had a way to get their attention, I would be screaming it from the mountain tops. @Ray_YC  

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thank you @Jeneral__Pain

I have been collating the threads of this particular topic and forwarding/presenting them to management.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking an interest in something that does seem to be trending. We've been very happy Optus customers for around 15 years with no issues to speak of. Yes Iam cheesed off with the fact that something which is a daily occurance for many customers moving from ADSL to Broadband can get stuffed up and then have to go through all the time wasting associated with trying to rectify the problem, not once but twice. Anyway contacted support again today to see where we're at and the kind lady said it's pending a case manager looking into the fault and that from her end all she could see is that the phone is "disabled". Hopefully this can be rectified soon, not asking for the world, only what I'm paying for. And yes I did mention the first fault to the tech support when lodging the second. As to a checklist and cost, well if the tech that was standing in my house testing the line speed after making the necesary changes at the fibre node and then checked the dial tone on the phone too, had then made a call to the landline number, he would have discovered there was a problem with the service receiving calls. Not sure how this would make things more expensive as previous poster suggests? What it does is in fact is add costs and waste the peoples time, OPTUS and customers, with something that should be picked up during commsioning of the service. Especially if there is as stated a trend appearing, maybe field techs need to be made aware so they can check it whilst on site. Not sure what "premium service" has to do with it when as I said the tech was physically in my house initially. Just would like to know why our phone has been "disabled" and when it will be "enabled" again, and hopefully stay that way as it has for the previous 28 years at our premises.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Happy to take a look at the fault ticket if you have it, otherwise let us know how you go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray,

Thanks for this, had a chat session last night and seems to be going nowhere. Anyway there are 2 logs you can look into. The first one 20970169 is closed, but it might give you some handy background info as to what was done. It relates to the first fault that occured when we went from ADSL to NBN which was April 15th, i.e. we could make phone calls but could not receive any, family said phone was constantly engaged when they tried to call us, we didn't know for 4 days. That was logged on April 19th and fixed on Sunday night April 21st right in the middle of Easter, I was amazed and thought wow that was great service. From then the phone worked fine until I came home from work on 1st of May. That was when the actual "Phone" light on the modem was no longer on. No dial tone, just engaged signal, can't call in or out. Logged that fault same evening 21020993, still the same a week later. Hopefully you can sort it, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hopefully when I get home from work tonight I'll have a working phone. However if not, as much as I don't want to I'll just have to lodge a formal complaint with the TIO, a simple matter of activating a phone service shouldn't come to that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Great, thanks for that. I've reached out to our Networks team who have advised they have fixed it. Please confirm when you get home and I'll check back here tomorrow.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ray,

It's great to have come across someone who could resolve the issue finally. Came home and phone service now active on modem again, tested and can make and receive calls, very happy thank you. Also very happy with the broadband side of things since making the switch. Because we live so far from the exchange we used to average 1.5mbs downloads now we are seeing 47mbs consistenetly even around peak and have seen 49mbs, not bad for a 40mbs guarantee. Some people might think big deal, but when the whole neighbourhood has suffered the same problem all these years this is now great. 

Don't suppose you can enlighten the crowd as to what has been causing these deactivations of peoples phone services that we are seeing on the forum when switching to NBN? Understand if you can't.

Also in an on line chat to Rita at support on Tuesday night, she said our account would be compensated due to the issues we have had. Her words not mine, is this correct, if so do we have to do anything?

I'll be paranoid now for a while and will check that bloody light every time I walk past the damn modem.

Thanks again Ray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

You're most welcome, happy to have played a small part in it getting resolved ☺️ 

I'm keen to know the reason why also but at this moment unfortunately I can't enlighten Yes Crowd why this is happening for some customers.

Regarding the credit that is usually on a case by case basis, if it was offered then it should appear on your next bill. Did you happen to have the chat transcript sent to you? Either way I suggest checking your next bill, if it's not on there for some reason you may just need to chat with them to check.

0 Kudos