Searching...
Accepted Solution

New to Optus, Disappointed in Wi-Fi from Modem. How do you get better wifi?

OldShazza

So I've been an Optus customer for exactly one week having moved from Telstra.  Fortunately I did not sign a contract, I paid the upfront fee to go monthly in case the internet speed was awful.

While the speed is slower than Telstra for sure (my boys are testing it daily and giving me reports) it hasn't been horrific, but what IS a problem is wi-fi range in the house.  

With Telstra I had the Netgear Gateway Max - C6300BD-1TLAUS

Now with Optus I have Netgear Cable eMTA CM500V-1STAUS with a the SAGEMCOM Gateway.

With Telstra we had full wifi range all over the house in exactly the same position. With Optus, I can barely get to the kitchen without it failing and forget about upstairs totally.

What is the solution here? 

Highlighted

Re: New to Optus, Disappointed in Wi-Fi from Modem. How do you get better wifi?

glenn0

The best solution would be to bridge your Optus router to your old Telstra router, and continue to use that router for WiFi.

Why? 5Ghz as a wave length does not travel very far, and it doesn't work very well through some building materials like concrete. We use it on WiFi to deliver really fast data speeds. Your previous Telstra router had 3x3 5Ghz capability that may have helped with the indoor coverage, or it was possible you were using the old 2.4Ghz frequency.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Since you still have the old Telstra hardware, just keep going with it.

P.S. please ignore an Optus rep if they reply to this suggesting you call technical support. Don't waste your time.

-------------------

Loyal Optus customer. My opinions are my own.

OldShazza

Thank you for that reply, that's hopeful!

How do you bridge the two? Obviously it's not as simple as just replacing the sagemodem WAN connection with the Telstra hardware. (I tried!!)

Solution

[ Edited ]
glenn0

Obviously leave the black Optus modem where it is.

It almost is as simply as replacing the white Sagemcom router with the Telstra one.

Plug the Optus modem into the Telstra C6300BD router's WAN port. As Telstra disable this by default, we need to turn it on.

The WAN port can be enabled by following these instructions:

1. Log into the C6300BD using your old WiFi settings or use an ethernet cable.
  2. In the router settings go to the 'WAN Setup'
  3. Then a drop down menu will come down and one option is 'WAN backup'
  4. Once you click that the screen will give you an option to 'Enable - Wan Mode'
  5. Select that option.

Turn them both off/on and report back if it works Smiley Happy

-------------------

OldShazza

Awesome! it worked. Thanks so much for your help!

glenn0

Happy to help!

And congratulations on your new Sagecom paperweight Smiley Tongue

-------------------

Goatman555

Thanks heaps, this worked for me too!!  If you need login/password for Telstra Gateway, it's the very inventive admin/password combo!

Soleise

Can someone here explain to me why you people are saying this works when the "wan" port on the telstra 6300bd is disabled in telstras custom firmware for the 6300?

This cant work - NOT possible!!!!!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
80 Kudos
68 Kudos
35 Kudos
34 Kudos