cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

Sashe
New Contributor
New Contributor

New pole for Optus cable

I am waiting for the specification for the pole that I have to install before the Optus technician will install my new cable.

I have spent 3 occasions with Optus Live Chat, who promised to email me the details- but nothing has been sent. What is this pole ? - ie what height, diameter, material, located where etc.

I applied for the new cable at end of January 2018- still waiting. Where can I find the pole details? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: New pole for Optus cable

I'd be a little surprised if Optus wanted to do a new install. The Optus HFC network is due to be dismantled over the next 1-2 years. When does the NBN arrive at your place? You may be better connecting to telstra cable at this stage as that will be retained and you can access the NBN immeadiately your area goes HFC.

I can find lots of specefications for underground installs, but strangely nothing on above ground. It appears Optus take each site differently and send someone out to access and decide what can be used (or where a pole must go). Not sure if Optus put the pole in themselves normally. Can only suggest contacting LIVECHAT again - try to get to the new installs department instead of just leaving details with the customer service person that answers.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Sashe
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter. If that's the case, then the Optus man at the Warriewood store should have said so, and not taken my application (no money has passed hands). The Live Chat team seem unable to have any sway with the Cable team- so not sure I want to go there for a 4th time.  

The Optus technician came to site- said my connection would need a pole (cause the house is low slung). The pole has to be installed by me/ my electrician - hence the need for a pole specification.

Will take up your advice about telstra. Thanks Julie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It does seem the process has been set in motion by Optus. 

I feel bad mentioning a competitor here but I have to say Optus procedures in many areas seem very opaque. Initial arrangements are made but then there's no follow up. At this point trying to re-engage with the process becomes painful with long contact times and people who despite assurances seem anable to hook customers back into the process.

Good luck with the connection, however it ends up being done.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@Sashe, we'd processed the application for you?

We must have received a positive serviceability result at point of sale. Either we've serviced the address in the past or there's an existing power pole with spare ports available on the tap.

We've sent out a technician who has advise that a new power/utility pole would be required? it seems like an odd thing to advise, a power pole would require council approval, I don't believe there are any specific dimensions for the pole itself.

If you're referring to an underground installation, you'd need to hire a contractor to go out lay a trench and install a conduit.

You can download a PDF version of our underground installation requirements here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Sashe
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Dan - the utility pole in the street is across the road from my house. The Optus technician demonstrated that the new cable to my house (single story/ low eaves) would be too low across the roadway - I think he said it had to be minimum 4.7m over the road.- So he said I had to install a pole - I assume at my boundary - before he could install the cable. I am still waiting for Optus to provide me with the details of the pole that my electrician has to install.  So what kind of pole is required ? height, diameter. made of  what, what is cable attachment point , etc.   It's not a street pole that is required; its a private pole on my boundary.

I am bemused by this whole business. Signing up with Optus was easy; but it is now a month and I am still not connected, and I have had to do the chasing/ spend the time on line/ Live Chat  to get more details. Nothing - except I have explained the issue many times. What do you advise? regards Julie

0 Kudos
AlexRH
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hmm okay, definitely an unusual request.

Can you please PM me with your address? We can get in touch with our serviceability team and get some additional information for you 🙂 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Sashe
New Contributor
New Contributor

****. My neighbour has Optus connected from the utility pole across  the street , but their house has a higher roof so their cable height over the road is apparently ok.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@Sashe, just a heads up; I've edited your post.I just don't want your address displayed on public forum (for privacy/security reasons). 

I'm going to send an email to our HFC serviceability team. I'm sure they must of encountered this scenario in the past 

Once I receive a response, I'll send you a PM with the details. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos