cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

New connection

We had our NBN box fitted four days ago but still haven't had our optus router delivered yet so can't connect to the Internet. We bought a TP link router but can't seem to connect with it. It's asking for a username and password on the set up page but we don't have this and I can't get hold of anyone at optus to find out. Is it possible to use the tp-link without using the optus modem first or do I have to wait?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: New connection

You have to wait as the initial connection must be made with an Optus NBN modem/router. Only after that can you switch to the TP-Link.

Note that none of the Optus NBN services require a username/password for internet access, so when you end up connecting the TP-Link you just need to use a WAN connection type of IPoE/Dynamic IP/Automatic IP or DHCP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, do I need to use the one they send or could I pick up a second hand one of the same model and use that to set up. I have no idea how long it will be until they send one and we really need the Internet to work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Richyroo77 wrote:
Thanks, do I need to use the one they send or could I pick up a second hand one of the same model and use that to set up.

As far as I'm aware you can use any, not just the one they have assigned to you. The supported models are Sagemcom F@ST  3864 series, F@ST 5366, and the new "Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up". The 3864 are the oldest and therefore should be cheapest 2nd hand.

There is also the matter of activation notification. Everything I've seen so far indicates that even with the right modem you can't activate the service until you get formal notification from Optus, usually by SMS, that your service is activated/provisioned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I was just reading up on that and you're right. I guess I just need to wait. Thanks again for the help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@ wrote:
Thanks, I was just reading up on that and you're right. 

I think its right but I am getting mixed messages. I have requested clarification from Optus but already have a few questions outstanding with them.

0 Kudos