cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

New account B818 4G WiFi Modem disconnecting

Hi I recently bought a broadband account. It connects and works with multiple devices phone, iPad, laptop and then stops. It displays disconnected error. It appears to be after the device is idle for a while. I.e when I stop using the internet the connection dies.

I do have a medical issue I take immunosuppressants and cannot leave the house to go to a store. I need to WFH and I do not have a working broadband. Yet despite what you phone message says I cannot get through. You are jeopardising my job and I am not okay here.

I got this device as our adsl is sporadic and constantly crashing. Please can someone help. I tried calling several times and get disconnected, I can’t chat as the app doesn’t appear to work properly. I’m going round in circles. If I go to the store and catch this virus I’m dead. Please employee more staff onshore. Before we all go completely insane here.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New account B818 4G WiFi Modem disconnecting

Dan mentioned in a post below that the device going to sleep might be causing a problem with the modem. I suspect it might be poor reception in that particular instance but your issue might be different. In the administration section of your modem there should be an option to stop the WiFi from going to sleep. Make sure it's set to not go to sleep save the changes and see how you go. The picture below is a different modem however that's what you are looking for.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Cancellations-Activations-and/Wireless-Broadband-losing-internet-co...

wifi-sleep.jpg

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks yeldarb I will try it. Just need to figure out how to ge to the dashboard you have indicated.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Give a few minutes and I should be able to find something.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Try http://192.168.8.1 in your browser. Password should be admin or password or it could be the same as your WiFi password. See if that lets you in.

You need to be connected to the modem for the above to work just in case you didn't know.

My login looks like the pic below. 

modem-admin.jpg

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much I found the screen but this is also part of the problem I can’t seem to sign in. It just goes from password sign in to nothing... will try hard wiring to the modem. I’m very appreciative of your help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have the exact same problem when the internet isn't being used the connection drops and the only fix is to restart the modem. To keep it working while I'm working I setup a constant ping to google dns I open a command prompt type ”ping 8.8.8.8 /t”. Have you been given a proper solution from optus?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No solution to this. It might be the 4g going to 3G.

Tried suggestions but I need to log in can’t log in as the account was set up incorrectly, can’t access app or chat.

Sorry. JM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I tried forcing the apn and forcing 4g but it made no difference. I called support today and they recommended replacing the Sim card. I have a new Sim card and will test over the next couple days and let you know how I go.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am also having the same issue. It works perfectly well until I stop using it. Then when I come back, it has dropped out, redirects me to the modem login page, then I start getting these certificate errors. Turning it on and off again works every time, but it's getting annoying having to do that every time I go back inside the house. Optus so far has no solution, one tech support thinks it is a coverage issue but the coverage appears to be full and it works perfectly after turning it on and off.
0 Kudos