cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Dan_222
New Contributor

New Start up fee for relocation

Hi,

I have booked a relocation of a month-to-month ADSL2+ plan.

I received an email and the contract mentions a new $200 start up fee. I was just wondering if I am expected to pay a new $200 start up fee for relocation of my service (I am getting ADSL2+ again at the new property and already have the modem and fetch box). Is this something I can claim back once the relocation takes place

Cheers,

Dan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Start up fee for relocation

I take it your new house isn't on the NBN? 

Generally Optus just transfers your existing contract to the new property (no fees, no restarting the contract period back to 24 months etc.)

It sounds like you might be cancelling the existing contract (accidentally?) and starting a new one - something to check on. Regardess Optus only charge a start up fee for new customers to cover initial costs. As a long time customer you shouldn't need to pay it again. You shuld be able to contact someone now and ensure it is waived. 

I'll flag a mod who might be able to check your account status @Dan_C

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That's definitely what it sounds like @petergdownload

Feel free to PM us @Dan_222

- Full name

- DOB

- Account number

I'm happy to take a look Smiley Happy 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor Dan_222
New Contributor

Hi Dan

Have sent you a couple of PMs last week

Cheers,

Daniel

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jojoe
New Contributor

I've just experienced the same problem. Moved area was advised to suspend my account for $5 per month, then for some unknown reason my account was cancelled during connection and now optus are chasing a $200 startup fee after two weeks of bungling a connection of which I had to go to the tio in the end to have that sorted out. Optus gave me two month free nbn, which I thought was great and now just received a $283 bill of which $200 is a start up fee for something I had all along and had to setup myself. Oh the connection is only three weeks old this weekend.Customer service have pushed this up the ladder but enough is enough once this is sorted i'm off to a new provider many of whom do not charge start up fee. Sorry optus you lost me

cheers

Joe

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Afternoon, @Jojoe .

I'm sorry for the headache. As long as there's evidence that you had an existing connectoin prior to the move, I really don't see what the issue is. Sounds more like a processing error.

Normally, we'll process the order as a relocation. It sounds like we've processed the connection as a brand-new rather than a relocation of an existing service (hence the fee that's been applied). 

Messaging has been disabled on our end, but if you'd like to contact me on the Optus Facebook page, I can jump on and help you there. 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hey Dan,

A processing error should involve a call to Optus, apologies given and the situation then fixed. Like you I am at a loss to explain how months of customer generated follow up and the industry ombudsman getting involved still hasn't resolved the situation. Not paying the (incorrect) bills Optus sends out is not really an option given the rabbit hole that might be.

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Can't really fault you there @petergdownload 

It's a well-established business rule that we do not charge start-up fees to customers who are relocating their service. I think the issue is more to do with the consistency of information given to our customers across each of our service channels.

For myself, it's an obvious one. I check the time that's lapsed between when the old service was disconnected and the activation date of the new service. If you think logically, a short gap in time between the two suggests that the customer relocated their service.

Top Contributors