Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN release

@Ray_YC wrote:
There is currently no plan for the DNS settings change in the modem.

Thanks for finally providing an update.

I'm more than a little peeved that its not forthcoming given that it was actively being worked on over a year ago.

But I'm probably more peeved about the fact that we are still getting surprised with the firmware updates.

0 Kudos
SirLegend
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: New Optus supplied modem - Sagemcom 5366TN

@Ray_YC do you have any info on the "temporary patch" when  might it be active so I can try it out?

thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi SirLegend, once you contact Optus technical support and provide the info they require, they will apply the patch and guide you from there 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
VitLi
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Optus,

You really have to notify your customers when you update routers firmware. remotely. I spent half a day figuring out why my VPN access to work from home stopped working, and our network admin also spent an hour or so with no luck. It failed about a month ago and still does not work. Who will compensate us for the lost productivity and waste of time?

Vitali

0 Kudos
George_YC

Hi @VitLi, we provide updates to our modems to ensure they have the latest security and software updates to better improve your service. The firmware update should not have impacted your service, however, we do apologise if this may have caused an issue. Not to worry, I have marked this as feedback for the relevant teams to review.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

pmac243
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

This has turned into a complete disaster! the Optus employed moderators here tell us there is a patch and to contact tech support, I have now done this 3 times both by the message app and phone - each time tech support has had no clue about any patch and just say it is being worked on and suggest using an old router? WTF this issue was created by Optus rolling out a firmware update without proper testing and now we are told to wait while they work on another update. Support states they cannot roll it back because of other security fixes but advise to use an old router which may be more vulnerable is OK?
0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

Hey @pmac143. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having some troubles with your modem. As this is the case, I would recommend getting in touch with our team on Facebook or Twitter, as they will be able to investigate this situation in further detail for you. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

onwarril
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The patch does work, as previously stated a few pages back, the case number is the key to Optus arranging for it to be done.  Once the correct departments and persons have been notified, the speed and performance is most impressive in resolving the issues as it is a joint process to be achieved between Optus and the manufacturer of the Router that has to be co-ordinated.

As stated in previous posts, we have a few offices connected via ipsec tunnels and also have to connect pptp to other sites. We have at one site the patched 5366tn and on another the old 3864v2, and I have had a chance to compare the two.

Yes, 5366tn connects faster, has slightly better download speeds, supposedly has better wireless although I have not tested that out as we dont use wireless much. Has greater filtering capabilities and is slightly harder to configure for customised network services than the 3864v2.

On the other hand, the 3864v2 is easier to customise network services, is plain compared to the 5366tn, and is simple. No additional crap to deal with. No need to enable pptp or ipsec pass through as it is enabled by default, just simple port forwarding if you have a server behind it.

However, for pptp or ipsec, the 3864v2 eats the 5366tn for packets per second and bandwidth.  Although the 5366tn is on an actual 96mbps connection, while the 3864v2 is only on an actual 76 to 82mbps connection, both FTTN with the 5366tn less than 20m from the node, and the 3864v2 about 1km from the node, no comparison can be drawn over an 8 hour period.

Give me the 3864v2 any day. My advise, until the firmware issue is resolved with the 5366tn, keep your old 3864v2 going as long as it lasts if you use pptp or ipsec tunnels.

ice
Contributor
Contributor

I am glad I first started this post about the 5366tn and pointed out the slowness of that modem and shortcomings as in firmware it seems like the whole modems they get should be overhauled and use a better-branded modem, even if customers need to pay for the modem on installation its better then all the hassle I had to go through with 7 modems and all did not work good from the six flat modems to the latest one.  you can only do so many resets and factory resets and then having to be told you can't do a firmware update, have the problem was probably the modems with most customers and the other fibre to the node distance from the node box. hopefully, now Optus has sorted out that problem i had with the slow modems,

0 Kudos
Top Contributors