cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
DavidHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN: Upload speed limit?

I have no problems with the speed of the modem and certainly can not complain about the price. The lack of hair pinning (loopback) and the inability to configure is disappointing but not a "show stopper". My bundle includes a phone service so I have put it to good use for that purpose and easily swappable (cables only) to meet the support criteria of Optus. As for the degrading line from the node to the premises this is completely in the hands of the NBN authority. Unfortunately the only way to get the NBN to take action is through the ISP. If I was in your predicament I would be pressuring my local federal member to be pushing for HFC to be implemented as it has much the same technical capabilities as FTTP but at a much lower cost of implementation.    

0 Kudos
ice
Contributor
Contributor

we do need a better solution like fiber or fiber to the curb it may take a few years to see any improvement in my areas one that may get improvements by the NBN but that may take a few years

0 Kudos
DavidHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

FTTC still uses the old telephone line so it only reduces the length of line over FTTN. Nothing wrong with HFC as the copper is superior to telephone line. Latest NBN plans are to replace FTTN with FTTP when the old telephone services are terminated. See this link Why the NBN Fibre Upgrade Matters (gizmodo.com.au) 

0 Kudos
optimistnz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN: Second restart of 5366TN required after power outage to fix Internet

Hi All, I have the following setup:

NBN Box - > Sagem 5366TN -> Netgear R8000 Router -> Home network

When the power goes out at my place I need to restart the Sagem 5366TN modem a second time in order for the R8000 router to show internet up and for internet to be supplied to our network.

Any ideas?  I have tried disabling DHCP on the 5366 and setting static IP's for the R8000 but that doesn't seem to help.

Also did anyone have any luck getting the admin password for the 5366TN so we can unlock some of the router settings currently locked?

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN: Second restart of 5366TN required after power outage to fix Internet

@optimistnz wrote:

Any ideas?

I assume the reason you still have the Sagemcom in your setup is because you need it for the home phone, correct? If not, you can remove it altogether.

I'm curious as to how frequent your power outages are?

DavidHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

@optimistnz  firstly there is nothing wrong with the set up of NBN to WAN of F@ST5366 and then LAN of F@ST5366 to WAN of R8000. In fact even if you do not have an Optus land line it makes a lot of sense for those relying on Optus support for connection when networking is foreign territory. Fortunately the Sagemcom and the Netgear are on two separate networks by default so they would easily accept such a chain of connection. The problem would be if the Netgear was not configured as a ROUTER in the set up. Please advise that it is NOT set as an ACCESS POINT.  

optimistnz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I use a home phone, connected to one of the phone ports on the sagem router. Correct if I didn't need this, then I could remove the sagem router. But Optus do use router to determine if people's home internet is up and running.
0 Kudos
optimistnz
Contributor
Contributor

Both the Sagem and Netgear R8000 are configured as routers doing NAT and DHCP.
Sagem IP is 192.168.2.1 with the R8000 DHCP address 192.168.2.3, the R8000 IP address is 192.168.0.1 providing DHCP to home network clients on that range.
0 Kudos
DavidHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

@optimistnz I was wondering why you have changed the default (factory settings) of both the F@ST5366 and the Netgear R8000 from 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 with the point being that if Optus support get you to do a "factory reset" then more configuration would be required. My secondary router is a TP-Link Archer A6 (192.168.1.1) and what I have found is that after a "power off" it is still going through its start up cycle when the F@ST5366 is already up and running and in time the light indicating internet service turns from orange to green and it takes about two minutes.

There are two ways of setting a fixed address for the R8000. The first being in the address reservation of the F@ST5366 but a "factory reset" would remove that setting. The second is to set a Static IP Address of the Internal IP Address of the R8000 to a valid IP Address greater than the IP4 Pool End of the F@ST5366 and less than the 254 limit. 

optimistnz
Contributor
Contributor

@DavidHarvey  thanks for your question.  Call me old school, but I like having my home network on 192.168.0.1 hence R8000 on that.  If R8000 on that, I need to set a different IP for the Sagem optus router hence using 192.168.2.1.   

After more testing I found:
1) Just the R8000 plugged into the Sagem:  Power cycle on both routers, needs additional power cycle on Sagem to get internet to work on R8000

2) R8000 + one PC plugged into the Sagem: Power cycle on both routers, internet works on R8000 without additional power cycle on Sagem.

MY THEORY - SAGEM NEEDS A LIVE DEVICE PLUGGED INTO ETHERNET PORT EARLY ON IN BOOT PROCESS TO NAT AND ROUTE

The R8000 takes longer to boot (than the Sagem) and while the Sagem is starting up I think it needs a device up and running early on in the boot sequence to start the Routing NAT to the ethernet ports.  

With the PC plugged into the Sagem I believe that provides an active ethernet client for the Sagem NAT routing to activate during boot up.

When internet isn't working on the R8000, a second reboot of the Sagem (with the R8000 plugged in) works as the R8000 is up and running during the Sagem boot process.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors