Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN release

Ok I see. I guess I could just get a voip router anyway for the future in case optus decides to give out those credentials or I switch providers which do.

One more thing, it is just a phone lead which connects to my NDD 0300 modem. Is there no devices which can act as a nbn modem and router in one package instead of the Modem + 5366 (Or BYO)? I am guessing I cannot just plug it into a DSL port on the ADSL router can I?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@User369 wrote:

Ok I see. I guess I could just get a voip router anyway for the future in case optus decides to give out those credentials or I switch providers which do.

It also gives you the option to go with a dedicated VoIP provider if down the track you find one that has better rates.

One more thing, it is just a phone lead which connects to my NDD 0300 modem.

Yep.

Is there no devices which can act as a nbn modem and router in one package instead of the Modem + 5366 (Or BYO)?

No because there is one thing that the NDD 0300 can do which no other modem can do which is to provide power to the DPU (i.e. the device that connects your copper phone cable to the fibre optic cable in the Telstra pit in your street).

I am guessing I cannot just plug it into a DSL port on the ADSL router can I?

Correct.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

ok I understand now.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the help. Greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@User369 wrote:

ok I understand now.

👍

Thanks to you and everyone else for the help. Greatly appreciated.

No problem.

One thing to note while I remember, is that the 5366LTE-A has a 4G backup feature but that VoIP will not work while in 4G backup mode. Also because you will not be using it as you main router you will not be able to make use of the 4G backup in your preferred configuration. But if you do have an extended outage you can always temporarily make the 5466 the primary router so that you will at least have internet access during the outage.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

For what it's worth I've taken my 5366TN out of the picture altogether now, I have my NBN modem connected into my Google Nest Mesh Wifi, with a cable out of that going into an 8-port gigabit switch for some wired devices I have nearby.  It means no home phone but we weren't using it anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have set up my Sagemcom and Google Nest as follows:

- NBN Device -> WAN Port in Optus modem (Sagemcom f@st 5366 TN) – > Lan 1 from modem -> WAN Port in Google Nest Wifi.

It is working for me but ignorant of the problems which may be caused by 'Double Nat' or the existence of the Sagemcom firewall.

Can anyone enlighten me?  I can stay with this setup or try one of the other suggestions like the one offered up by juzdu?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Did you do this because you need/want to stick with the home phone?  

There's some info on double NAT here:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3175739/how-to-identify-and-resolve-double-nat-problems.html

It really depends on what you're running and how.  Given you've got the Nest router 2nd in line, some devices connected to the Nest for internet access might have issues unless you have port forwarding configured correctly on the 5366TN...and even with port forwarding you could still have issues.

At the very least if you plan to have most of your home internet devices connected through the Nest and only the home phone connected to the 5366 you should switch it around, plug the NBN modem into the Nest first.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The article on double NAT was excellent and very clear.  I used it to check for double nat and appears that I don't suffer from that. So with that in mind...and the fact that everything is working for me, I might have to settle for the status quo.

I have no need for the phone so will still pursue a proper setup and giving up the phone and wireless from the 5366TN.

I need the Nest Wifi to handle simple wifi needs like the phone and some wifi audio.  The only other devices are an Apple TV, LG TV and Apple iMac.  They are all wired off of a switch which is being fed from the LAN port of the Nest Router.

I did seem to get close.  I set the DMZ to the Nest Router, turned off DHCP and reserved the Nest Router address.  Problem was that there was no wifi coming from the Nest, and assume that it is because I have not supplied numbers it can use to connect.  This is all above my pay grade so floundering.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@ymmij wrote:

I have no need for the phone so will still pursue a proper setup and giving up the phone and wireless from the 5366TN.

As you have no need for the 5366's phone or wifi then why even have it plugged in at all? Remove it from your setup, it will simplify your setup and save yourself about $30 per year in electricity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well the real answer is that I am not technically adept enough to:

1.  Remove the 5366 and set up my router so that it connects to the internet.

2.  Understand what happens when I run into a problem and have to contact Optus.  Seems like I would have to at minimum plug into their WAN port and turn it on.  Guessing.

I was hoping to be able to work it out myself, and at this point, it appears that I need an exact cheat sheet to get it all working.

Thanks

0 Kudos