Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN release

@Synice wrote:
Is this port forwarding you refering to?

NAT loopback is related to port forwarding.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yeah locking DNS was a strange move. Give me a DD-WRT port and we can call it a day =).

NAT loopback is associated with port forwarding but also DNS and routing. Say I run a service (lets call it sshd on a randomised port 8080). Internal IP is 192.168.0.78 and I run dyndns to connect to my house from outside with a fqdn (lets call it loopback.dyndns.com) if I ever need to run a script.

So I port forward 8080 to the internal port and I can connect to loopback.dyndns.com from outside. However if I'm on the internal lan, I cant connect to the fqdn as the router does not know how to route out (external IP even though it is itself) and back in.

The workaround is to have adresses in all your applications for both external and internal use.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Raged wrote:
NAT loopback is associated with port forwarding but 

Yeah, I though I added " but indirectly" to my  statement to try and separate it from what most people would typically think as being port forward related, but I guess my fingers didn't get the message.

From memory port forward is broken as you can't forward absolutely all ports, I think 443 (https) was mentioned as an example.

I wish they'd add port triggering as well but that's all but been ruled out by Optus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Looking at all these issues and requests for port forwarding and home servers etc. These are advanced functions and people who need them or use them are advanced users. Why not BYO modem and have all the features that you need and leave the 5366TN alone? I know certain NBN type not allows this option, however, I am sure not everyone here belongs to that group of users.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@SillyGogo wrote:
Looking at all these issues and requests for port forwarding and home servers etc. These are advanced functions and people who need them or use them are advanced users. 

Neither of port forwarding or home servers are advanced features. Just because you may not use a given feature does not mean it should be considered an advanced feature.

The issue is that Optus' router is interfering with normal traffic in and out of the home and it affects different people in different ways, and not that these are "advanced features".  A couple of basic examples,

1) port forwarding: So many households have a desktop computer or laptop or games console and in order to play certain games you need port forwarding to make it work properly. And if you think playing games is not a worthy enough example, how about using a land line with a company other than your ISP, for that you also often need port forwarding to make it work.

2) home servers: Home security systems use these "home servers" to allow remote access.

Why not BYO modem and have all the features that you need and leave the 5366TN alone?

For starters you have to use it (or other Optus supplied device) to activate you internet connection, and if you want an Optus landline you officially have to use the the 5366TN. And these advanced features are industry standard that you get on even the cheapest of devices, its just that Optus have gone out of their way to lock down their device so much that it is breaking things.

It is perfectly reasonable expect to be able to use the $100-$150 5366TN (or what ever it costs) supplied by Optus for normal internet activity.

I am sure not everyone here belongs to that group of users.

Its more the case of they belong, but just don't know that they belong. In this thread you are seeing people that can articulate the problem and provide technical details. The underlying problem is the same, and we want to make sure that when they fix it (and yes it is broken) that they fix it properly.

Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@YetAnotherAcc  I see, from what you are saying, these are features that many uses and should be standard on the 5366 however,  Optus chose to disabled or changed them to stop people having such functionality. 

The question(s) would be why Optus elect to implement such lock down policies and restriction? Is it within it's T&C that we are not allow to run servers and have port forwarding? Will Optus reverse on such policies?  If no, then why not, if yes then why is it so hard to change the firmware? Or is it something that is baked into the 5366?

Could you use another modem after activating the service with the 5366? Would go back to the previous modem eg 3864 fix the problem? Or maybe we need a newer modem? Will Optus implement such lock down policies on the newer hardward?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@SillyGogo wrote:

@YetAnotherAcc  I see, from what you are saying, these are features that many uses and should be standard on the 5366 however,  Optus chose to disabled or changed them to stop people having such functionality. 

Correct, although its more to do with controlling the functionality rather than stopping it altogether. They know they can't stop it altogether as too many people would leave Optus because it would be a broken internet service.

The question(s) would be why Optus elect to implement such lock down policies and restriction?

Mainly two fold. Firstly its to reduce support costs (at least in their view). The simpler (i.e. locked down) the system, the less they have to train their support staff. You'll notice that support staff, in general, don't deviate much from their support scripts because they are not trained on the device, but rather trained to follow specific scripts.

Secondly, its to better control the network, the classic example of this is blocking mail port 25 at the network level (not just the device level) , because a badly configured mail server on a home server can impact the Optus network.

Is it within it's T&C that we are not allow to run servers and have port forwarding?

There probably is something in the T&C's about very specific scenarios, running mail servers no doubt being one of then if that is the case, but there shouldn't be anything about running servers in general. 

As for port forwarding there should absolutely be nothing in the T&C to restrict any of that, because the only reason you need to port forward in the first place is because the router intruduces an artificial block in the first place.

Will Optus reverse on such policies? If no, then why not,

Thing change all the time, but Optus really don't care much about their customers, so whatever policy changes are made, very little is driven by customers feedback and input from what I have seen. 

if yes then why is it so hard to change the firmware? 

They just don't want to put enough resources into maintaining the firmware.  Also the quality control on what they do do (whether its done by Optus directly or Sagemcom or whatever third party) is atrocious.

Or is it something that is baked into the 5366?

Should be just firmware issues.

Could you use another modem after activating the service with the 5366?

Yep, and that's what I've done. The 5366 gave me problems right from the start and I just switched straight away. In my case even if they fix everything I won't even think about switching back to the 5366 until my current router dies, and I might use it if its good enough at that time.

Would go back to the previous modem eg 3864 fix the problem?

Everything I've read in forums from people is the overall the 5366 is a much better (especially wifi) and more stable device than the 3864, so you fix one problem, but re/introduce another.

Or maybe we need a newer modem? 

Newer doesn't automatically mean better, but in theory it should. This one in seems to be decent, if not for the firmware. But whatever new one they choose they will just cripple it again with custom firmware, so back to square one.

Will Optus implement such lock down policies on the newer hardward?

Absolutely, I cant see them changing their mindset, certainly not for a very long time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Crippled a modem's function or firmware is not new and started way back. I remembered how my motorola cable modem was very limited in functions. 

The 5366 is better than the 3864, however, it all depend on what you are expecting from it. The 3864 and 5366 can provide access to the NBN and works fine for most users. The 3864 is like a Hyundai, does the job get you from A to B, however, if you are expecting a BMW or Porsche in performance then you will be disappointment. If you want a BMW then get your own. 

The ball is in Optus's court to change the firmware to allow these basic functions. In the meantime, if you want the functions that are not available with the 5366 then BYO modem that supports the required functions and move on. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Give me my SIP details and I'll turf the Optus modem. It looks like a great modem... Crippled by developers with custom firmware. 

In regards to a "server". No one is running a commercial business server from a home connection (at least I'm not) which would burn data. But essential personal connectivity like home VPN so you can access your files remotely is considered a "server". I just want access to my doggo pics eating broccoli wherever I am... Or as mentioned above... Run IP cameras and you want to see what's happening when you get a motion alarm when no one is home. As I said. There's workarounds, but why would Optus developers artifically make your life harder? Why would you go with a company that actively makes your life harder?

Another use case scenario was a few years ago where I was in a firewalled country (ahem China)... and all my email is via google. Yeah... good luck mate. The only way I could access emails was to VPN to my own house and either route out or just RDP to an always on device. 

I'll give this a few more months and then I might need to switch providers as well as advise everyone away from optus if they have home security cameras. The supplied equiptment and service is untenable for a basic 2020 household.  

Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@Raged wrote:

Give me my SIP details and I'll turf the Optus modem. It looks like a great modem... Crippled by developers with custom firmware. 

Don't think Optus will change this policy. However, there are few work arounds, including with the 3864 modem, BYO modem and place the 5366 behind it and set up port forwarding with the BYO modem. Both have been asked and answered on YesCrowd and Whirlpool. 

In regards to a "server". No one is running a commercial business server from a home connection (at least I'm not) which would burn data. But essential personal connectivity like home VPN so you can access your files remotely is considered a "server". I just want access to my doggo pics eating broccoli wherever I am... Or as mentioned above... Run IP cameras and you want to see what's happening when you get a motion alarm when no one is home. 

Haven't try running my own VPN to access files, I am using OneDrive and Google Drive to store files that I want to access outside of home. I am able to access my Xiaomi and Dlink Wifi cameras externally and didn't have to set up anything special. Place the camera, connect to my wifi network and install the app on my mobile and they just work. 

As I said. There's workarounds, but why would Optus developers artifically make your life harder? Why would you go with a company that actively makes your life harder?

There must be a commercial reason for Optus to do what they are doing. I do agree with you that Optus is making things harder than it should with the crippled firmware. 

Another use case scenario was a few years ago where I was in a firewalled country (ahem China)... and all my email is via google. Yeah... good luck mate. The only way I could access emails was to VPN to my own house and either route out or just RDP to an always on device. 

Not sure if it is the same, I am able to run NordVPN on my computer and it is functioning as it should. 

I'll give this a few more months and then I might need to switch providers as well as advise everyone away from optus if they have home security cameras. The supplied equiptment and service is untenable for a basic 2020 household. 

As a consumer I would do the same too, if a company is not providing the service that I required then I move to another company that can. Worth seeing what out there and weight up pros and cons. However, if the move is going backward then maybe consider BYO modem.

0 Kudos