Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Contributor Arctos
Contributor

Re: New Optus supplied modem - Sagemcom 5366TN

The new modem arrived yesterday arvo (Tues) by courier, very prompt service thank you.

Working well with all of my devices / computers etc.

Occasional Contributor tonymy01
Occasional Contributor

I got one of these yesterday finally (after connecting to HFC NBN in November and the only thing Optus sent me then was a Netgear CM500v LOL).

It picked up the VOIP stuff pretty quickly, but didn't get a f/w update, so is running the xxx31 not 85 version.

This modem has pretty good Wifi I have to admit comparing to my Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 (certainly the 5GHz band, I haven't tested 2.4GHz).

But it is pretty buggy too.    Logs as discussed previously are YYYY-DD-MM  and it is adding 10hours to the local time for the logs!! So adding 10hours to 5pm will take it to 1am the next day.... but here is some mighty fine dodgy coding, they add the 1day to the MM!!

So yesterday I had this-

At 7th Jan 22:30 local time, log showed-
2020-07-02 08:30:25 wtf

And 8th Jan 00:39 local, the modem logs showed-
2020-08-01 10:39:18

So they display YYYY-DD-MM, but assumed YYYY-MM-DD when they came to adding the following day to any time addition that takes you into the next day.

The NTP page shows the correct local time (it has the correct timezone, and is accomdating the DST we have), so not sure why they are adding 10hours to the log entries (well,  adding 21hours from UTC).

I don't have much confidence in the long term reliability of this unit when there are stupid coding issues like this. 

But I have to run it off the NTD directly for the time being, as my NBN has been a bit unreliable (Arris reboots a few times in a row every 4 or 5 days, Optus and NBN service status pages show no issues, I get onto Optus chat, and this last time I chatted to them, even though they could see the Arris logs, insisted I have the Optus router connected, I previously had the old Optus HFC Sagemcom running hanging off my Linksys with ports mapped thru to allow voice, and TR069).

Modem needs more configuration options opened, the logs are filled with failed PPPOE attempts, which is not required for NBN HFC, with the old Sagemcom when I acquired the admin account details was able to purge the PPPoE and the ATM stuff not needed for HFC.

Since running this yesterday, my son is whinging at me that his Minecraft hipixel server connection keeps timing out every 5mins (for a brief moment, enough to kick him and he has to go back in), and that is connecting directly to the Wifi (not the double nat'd Linksys).  He just connected back to the Linksys and it is doing the same thing, so it seems to be something quirky with the WAN, could it be some kind of QOS thing?   I don't notice any issues watching Youtube, but that buffers ahead.   The modem logs don't show anything apart from bucket loads of PPPoE.   I notice though that the telephone and sometimes "@" LEDs go off and back on again (but not every 5mins).

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Ok, did the maintenance menu reboot, and it booted up, relevant LEDs lit, then it was back to the power LED only, so presumably did a software update (a bit silly that it didn't do this by itself after first power on), and it is running SG4Y1T000085 now.
Son isn't complaining about the cut-out that was happening, so far so good.  I don't see anyone else in this thread had noticed the older 00031 version dropping out on a regular basis, my only indication of this yesterday was seeing the @ and phone LEDs occasionally go off and back on. The logs yesterday showed the TR-069 acquisition stuff on a semi regular basis, I assumed this was a normal process but could have been the symptom (or the cause?!) of the regular brief drop-outs with 000031 version.

I notice also the connection type text string has changed, is now "Connection type: Fibre/Cable" so a bit more relevant.

What what a pile of junk some of the coding in this thing is.    WAN Layer 1 stats, probably the most important for NBN shows a connection time of 36seconds (and it has been well over an hour since updating now).

And as others indicated, the logs have become more useless showing the same time for every entry (are they still displayed in chronological order?  Would be nice to have a "clear logs" button so I don't have to scroll through 29pages of logs to see if any new entry shows up somewhere given I can't be sure what the display order is when they all show the same date/time).

Would like to be able to remove unused interfaces such as PPPoE so it doesn't fill the logs.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Yep, this thing is so bad code/consistency/usability wise that I have given up reporting any more issues as virtually every single screen has some problem or other, and I'm not exaggerating about that. If this thing ever came across my desk for QA/Testing it would fail miserably. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Some more issues that may or may not have been mentioned in this thread-
*modem access/GUI doesn't work in IE(11) .  Works in Edge (and Chrome both PC and Android) though.

*IPv4 internet connectivity screen has pulldowns for the WAN IP addressing and DNS, but the GUI doesn't allow the pulldowns to be used (I use chrome, but thought I would test in IE to find I don't even get to a login page for IE, just a blank page).  This renders the "apply" button pretty useless given you can't change a thing in that screen.

*modem settings "monitor" last X days all show an hourglass type thing (ok, so maybe since it has only been powered up since software update since today may have something to do with this)

*modem settings "general" shows Ethernet WAN connection time of 31secs similar to the stats screen, and "Bitrate" is blank (would be useful to show physical rate to confirm LAN cable connection to NTD or other modem is good).

Fixes-
*I notice another fix, the voice port/Line call logs is showing in & outbound now, previously with 0031 it didn't log any calls despite the log part of the GUI being there, and the kid who coded this screen must be different to the one who coded the error logs screen, because it is showing the correct date and time!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Hoff80
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN release

Hi Ray,
Apologies for the delayed reply. The username is Laundrybox1. Look forward to hearing from you again. Regards
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Hoff80
Occasional Contributor

laundrybox1 sorry all lowercase is the site where we are having the issues.
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks for getting back to me, Hoff80. The Networks guy that asked for it is away for the next week but over the holiday period also asked for this information:

• What is the his network topology?
  • What was modified by the end-user in terms of configuration (DMZ + firewall rule?)? 
  • What model of CCTV is used? What configuration is required for it to work (allow the outgoing traffic, or a port forwarding rule)?
  • How is the master CCTV device connected to the gateway (LAN Eth./LAN Wi-Fi/WAN)? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor JOli4
New Contributor

Question on the number of devices supported:

`LAN > 252 WIFI will support 64 on 2.4 and 5 Ghz. Connected devices. `

Is this definition to be 64 devices on 2.4G AND 64 devices on 5G?

>> Guest Network << 

Why does this not exist - would like to have isolated a couple of dodgy IoT devices on my network.

Any known degradation of network and NAT when more than 40 devices are connected?

Would like to get an idea of the capability of this little Sagemcom... it has performed pretty well so far, but wonder if I should get a dedicated WiFi AccessPoint for all my IoT stuff?
Or just go all out and put in a Ubiquiti setup (but hesitant to spend about $1,500 on a home network setup with VLANs etc.)

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@JOli4 wrote:

>> Guest Network << 

Why does this not exist

They just like to go out of their way to butcher their devices.

wonder if I should get a dedicated WiFi AccessPoint for all my IoT stuff?
Or just go all out and put in a Ubiquiti setup (but hesitant to spend about $1,500 on a home network setup with VLANs etc.)

The Ubiquiti setup seems like overkill if its mainly to isolate IoT devices.

A dedicated access point seems like a practical solution.

I was also thinking it might have been good enough to just put the IoT devices on a different subnet , but that might need a static route (I don't know enough about networking 😢) , but alas, static routing is broken on the 5366TN.