Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN release

@Smacky19 wrote:

This modem is a piece of junk.

Well, at least they seem to be improving their junk 😉.

I too have a network that I would have to redesign because of this router.

Thankfully with the latest firmware it should be usable (more-or-less) as a backup if needed with my existing network structure. 

My story with Optus is too traumatic and lengthy to state here and I don't want to inflict the same pain on readers of this post.

Yep, we've all got out Optus war stories.

you tell them over and over again that you want to adjust your LAN settings and they start playing around with you WAN settings, you know your in for as rough ride.

It even worse in chat, I lay out all the explicit detail and they still manage to totally misunderstand, that's only when they bother to actually read what I read though 😠.

I'm still going through this issue with Optus

What issue is it?

If I treated my customers like Optus have treated me I would be out of business.

Yep, it boggles the mind.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Ray_YC ,

Can you confirm if the 5366 has Port Triggering?

I just posted a reply to an issue for which the solution should have been to use Port Triggers, but I could not find that option on the 5366 so had to give a Port Forwarding solution instead.

If its missing, can you please add it to the todo list. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @Hoff80,

Not sure if you have seen my previous response (from page 18). The Networks team have also asked for either your username or NBN AVC ID as they are looking further into this.

Hi yetanotheracc, I will ask them.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor grantsayer
Occasional Contributor

Re: New Optus supplied modem - Sagemcom 5366TN

There seems to be a lot of discussions in the forums about issues with DNS . Is there going to be an update on the firmware to address the problem ? If had known this as a problem which blocks using 8.8.8.8 or OpenDNS for name resolution then would have gone with a different provider for NBN !!
0 Kudos
Contributor juzdu
Contributor

Are you sure it's blocking DNS?  I'm using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in my TCP/IP v4 properties on this PC, and haven't had any issues.  Using http://www.whatsmydnsserver.com/ tells me I'm using Google's DNS.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@juzdu wrote:

Are you sure it's blocking DNS?  I'm using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in my TCP/IP v4 properties on this PC, and haven't had any issues.  Using http://www.whatsmydnsserver.com/ tells me I'm using Google's DNS.

The problem is not being able to change the DNS in the 5366 itself, not on the connected devices.

0 Kudos
Contributor juzdu
Contributor

Ah ok, so not so much they're blocking the use of Google/other DNS, more that they just haven't enabled custom DNS on the router. Sorry, my head leapt straight to blocking after a mate with NBN from Telstra was telling me yesterday that despite him using 8.8.8.8 on his PC, his Telstra NBN modem/router is overriding that with their own DNS settings. Thankfully Optus aren't doing that.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@juzdu wrote:
Ah ok, so not so much they're blocking the use of Google/other DNS, more that they just haven't enabled custom DNS on the router.

Correct. If you use static DNS servers like 8.8.8.8 as a workaround on individual devices there are no issues.

But using dynamic DNS servers like OpenDNS as a workaround on the devices I think is still a problem because of the NAT loopback (a.k.a.  hairpinning) discussed earlier in this this thread. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Port triggering is not supported. 

You can achieve the same with the things that are supported. 

DMZ and port forward and UPNP are supported. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Ray_YC wrote:

Port triggering is not supported. 

You can achieve the same with the things that are supported. 

DMZ and port forward and UPNP are supported. 

DMZ should always be a last resort, and you can only ever put one device in the DMZ.

UPNP is on by default (and assuming it was not manually disabled), so no other settings should have been needed.

When I set up my network years ago, relying on UPNP only put the xbox in moderate/restricted mode instead of the desired open mode.  Port forwarding only worked while we had 1 xbox, when we got a second one I needed to use triggers because you can't forward the same port to multiple devices, so I'd argue port triggering is needed.

0 Kudos