cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor MrDog
New Contributor

Re: New Optus supplied modem - Sagemcom 5366TN

I'm not a fan of the Sagemcom 5366 TN. I've had the thing for about a week on a new NBN connection, and have already had to power cycle it 3 times to reconnect to the NBN. I want it as close to gone from my network as possible, but because it must remain to provide VOIP services, the only option was to find a way to relegate it to a supporting role at best.

Unfortunately, because it is not possible to set a default gateway on the LAN interface, it does not appear to be possible to have it on the network behind another router.

However, after some messing around I've managed to get it working as a VOIP only device behind a WAN Router (in this case a Ubiquiti Universal Security Gateway (USG), but it would have also worked behind the ASUS RT68AU I have too).

NOTE: If you are going to to this, it is easier if all other devices are unplugged from the network. You can then gradually add devices back to the network after you have confirmed everything works.

1. On the PC, set the network adapter to a manual IP address:
    1. IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    2. Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    3. Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
  2. Disconnect all the LAN and WAN ports on the Sagemcom.
  3. Connect the PC to a LAN port on the Sagemcom.
  4. From the PC, browse to the Sagemcom on 192.168.1.1 (username: optus / password: as per the magnet supplied by Optus), and turn off the following features on the Sagemcom:
    1. Wifi
    2. NAT
    3. DHCP
  5. Disconnect the PC from the Sagemcom.
  6. On the PC, set the network adapter back using an automatic IP Address.
  7. Connect the UNI-D1 port on the NBN HFC NTD to the WAN port on the WAN Router.
  8. Connect the PC to a LAN port on the WAN Router. The PC should now have internet access.
    NOTE: As the USG only has one LAN port, at this point I connected the USG to my switch.
  9. Connect the WAN port on the Sagemcom to the network. This will allow the Sagemcom to get an IP address from the WAN router, and perform VOIP functions ONLY.
  10. From the PC, browse to the admin interface of the WAN Router:
    1. Find the network client list, and find the Sagemcom (the MAC address is printed on the back of the Sagemcom). Note the IP address.
    2. Most decent WAN Routers have an option to set a client device to "use a fixed ip address", which tells the WAN Router to always give the Sagemcom the same IP address. Set the Sagemcom to use a fixed IP Address.
    3. Set up a port forwarding rule to send both TCP and UDP ports 5060-5061 to the fixed IP address of the Sagemcom.
  11. Make a couple of test calls - inbound and outbound. All should work fine - if not, try power cycling the Sagemcom.
  12. Reconnect other network devices - do not connect them to the Sagemcom!
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor rw668
Occasional Contributor

Hi MrDog,

May I please know how you get the VoIP working without Sagemcom? I intend to use ASUS RT68U, which does not have phone port. I believe I can use Linksys SPA 2102 for VoIP but Optus does not release SIP settings to me. Please share if you have SIP settings.

Best Regards,
Ricky
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The key SIP setting, the SIP password, is unique per phone service so MrDog's setting won't help you.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi There,

How can I extract my SIP settings? Optus technical support does not release that to me.

Best Regards,
Ricky
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Its only possible if you have a Sagemcom F@ST 3864 and the extraction method is different depending on the which variant you have.

If you have a 3864 you can search whirlpool and yescrowd for further detail.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I do have F@ST 3864, both old rectangular box and newer v3. Can you please send me the link of the respective whirlpool / yescrowd page for SIP setting extraction?
0 Kudos
New Contributor MrDog
New Contributor

@rw668 

"May I please know how you get the VoIP working without Sagemcom? I intend to use ASUS RT68U, which does not have phone port."

The VOIP is still on the Sagemcom. I've just moved it behind my WAN Router.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I have the v3 as well (black upright) and extracted the detail from this whirlpool thread I think. Unfortunately its not just a set of instructions but a full blown discussion so it will take a little effort to gleam the info you need. 

Its been a few months since I did it so I don't remember the details off hand, but the main thing you need to do are:

* download the " dumpcfgdynamic" config file.

* find the <SIP> section in that config to get the SIP user ID (AuthUserName) and SIP password (AuthPassword) . These are unique to your service.

* find your SIP proxy (RegistrarServer) and SIP outbound proxy (OutboundProxy). These are not unique to you, but you should use these specific ones and not any other ones that may be in the thread.

* decode the SIP password using base64 decoder. I use this one as its off line so encoded/decoded password never leaves your computer.

Hope that helps. Sorry I can't be more specific, and I don't have the time to figure out the exact steps.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Much appreciated. I will give it a try. Thanks.
0 Kudos
New Contributor naith
New Contributor

I'm having this problem also. Some devices never get an IP address assigned. Some get it once, but can't get it on re-connect. I've started to assign devices static IP addresses, which is a real pain. 

0 Kudos