Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: New Optus supplied modem - Sagemcom 5366TN

@DavidHarvey wrote:

It appears the method I was using to turn off Wi-Fi no longer works but the alternative procedure holds and poses no issues.

So which method works and which one doesn't? They claimed to have fixed the wifi on/off problem, so it looks like they've only done a partial fix.

0 Kudos
DavidHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc OK the one that works now is the button on the front of the device. Previously you could log on and disable it in the GUI. You can still do this but it does not stick when powered off and then back on. 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Thanks. Had a bit of a play. After turning on, when wifi is off you have to press the button twice (about 10 seconds apart) for wifi to stay on.  So yeah, its a bit of a mess.

0 Kudos
optimistnz
Contributor
Contributor

@reubot have you had your power supply replaced by optus recently? If not ask for a new one. There is a known fault with the power supplies on this router and there has been a campaign to replace many of them.
0 Kudos
ice
Contributor
Contributor

Never  got one they said they would send me one never arrived, as usual, I have to follow up., you don't know how many problems I had with all the Sagemcom modems I got 4 of the older ones and was sent then 5366tn never worked. never got sent the power supply they said they would.

0 Kudos
ice
Contributor
Contributor

the solution is for Optus to find abetter modem supplier in my opinion one that works.

0 Kudos
reubot
New Contributor
New Contributor

@optimistnz We had it replaced last year

0 Kudos
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

I must have had a recent firmware update that has changed the functionality for the worse on this modem (version is SG4Y1T0002023). I run another router for my main wireless, and supplement it with the 5GHz of the Optus modem, today I noticed it was running on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz with the same SSID. Looking at the menu options it doesn't look possible to separate these 2 WiFi now so you have to have both frequencies running, the 2.4GHz band is so cluttered in my area, so adding another access point to the clutter is not something I wanted to do. Not to mention not so easily being able to see if it is the 2.4 or 5GHz radio that I am connecting to...

Edit: OK, looking at the GUI on my PC rather than phone, I found there is a new "band steering & roaming" option that has been enabled. I am guessing disabling it will give me individual control back of the WiFi radios.. Optus should have probably kept the standard settings with this new option then emailed some details about how to activate the steering, rather than undo an intentional setup I wanted!
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@tonymy01 wrote:
I found there is a new "band steering & roaming" option that has been enabled.

That's strange. When mine updated to v2023 band steering was not auto enabled, and from what I can tell its only supposed to be enableable when there is a mesh network.

@tonymy01 wrote:
Optus should have probably kept the standard settings with this new option

The routers have had one or two other problems recently with losing settings after a firmware update. I doubt if it was a deliberate choice.

0 Kudos
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it was under the WiFi Mesh sub menu, when enabled, the unit has a single SSID, when disabled, I got individual radio settings back. Looks like the mesh option was added to also allow adding compatible WiFi extenders (that option wasn't enabled).
0 Kudos