Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
onwarril
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: New Optus supplied modem - Sagemcom 5366TN

Yes, there is GRE (a protocol) in the protocol drop down but GRE is none specific and doesn't have a port, I guess in way similar to ICMP. Most routers have an option to put a tick in the box for PPTP pass through which enables GRE. PPTP connection can be made via 1723 tcp, but useless unless GRE is enabled in which the router allows the passing of wrapped data packets inside secondary data packets in order to complete the Point to Point network connection. With the 5366TN, one would have expected looking at its design, GRE would be in the services section, (where ICMP is), in which it would be configured to allow in/out any ip, or at least to one internal ip, on port 0 in/out (similar to ICMP in that drop down). I did try to configure via the protocol drop down, but cant on port 0 as it errors, and will not save the Port Forwarding rule. Leaves no option but to confine it to 1723 tcp to the specific device its being forwarded to.  As previously stated in first post, did work in v2023 firmware, but will not work in v3035 firmware.  I tired a few other variants of rules, but GRE just will not pass in v3035 firmware. Got it to work on one device via forwarding to ip in v2023.

(Regarding the following paragraph, the 5366TN was the primary nbn router in front--before it was replaced with the temp router and moved behind it)

I also have an email server behind the current temp router(temp router now primary--but was the 5366TN as primary when the following occurred). There were no issues from an internal network, connecting via a Netgear FVS firewall out to the email server with v2023. Nor was there any issues with the mobile phones getting email internally/externally with v2023 from the email server. No problems externally either with other mobile phones/computers. However, with v3035, internal computers could not receive or send email via the FVS firewall, which they could with v2023 with no issues, yet externally, the phones/computers still could get their email from the email server, regardless v2023 or v3035. With the temp router installed as the primary, there is no issues with PPTP, L2TP, many ipsec permanent tunnels, email, forwarding of sip for optus phones to the 5366TN, and normal business functionality, although somewhat plain in the performance department due to the temp router's limited size. Yah, dont get much for $40

You have to give full credit to the 3864OP, never gave any real issue. A brilliant router that had heaps of grunt in comparison. Shame the lightning strike took it out.

rdrrrdrrr
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The best solution is to move to an ISP who:-
1. Supports 3rd party routers
2. Gives customers SIP log in details for their home phone service
3.Have helpful Australian technical support folks, who listen and understand.
4. Have their own backhaul network from NBN POPs.
Why does Optus make it so difficult?
0 Kudos
SirLegend
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Anyone having vpn type issues since the firmware upgrade should log a case & refer to parent case #23716493. It's now with Sagecomm, who are looking into it urgently. The tech said that "many people are experiencing problems". Fingers crossed we see a new fw version sooner rather than later.

pmac243
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am also now having the same problem, 6 hour power outage on Thursday and after power was restored VPN no longer working. Only way to get working is to put PC into DMZ - not ideal for obvious reasons , and can only add 1 device to DMZ.

Does anybody have a backed up copy of an earlier Firmware file or can I get 1 from Optus?

0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @pmac243, have you checked the modem settings after the firmware upgrade. Here is our → modem user guide for your reference. Has modem reset (reset button at the back of the modem) helped? 

If the issue still continues then you are best to speak with our Technical Support team via the → messaging service to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

Kartika, that form response is inappropriate. I feel you don't know the modem behaviour properly, a trigger event for firmware upgrade is a power cycle. And if you looked at the last few posts back, you can clearly see discussion of confirming that this latest firmware breaks VPNs for people, and a case number raised for Sagemcom to sort this out.
0 Kudos
DavidHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

@Kartika I wonder has anybody tried the following for PPTP and GRE manual configurations? VPN.png

0 Kudos
pmac243
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the response, Yes done all that, still not working. It is the latest firmware update, I have followed Optus support advice and requested a copy of an earlier version of the firmware from Sagemcom.

If that fails I will source another modem.

0 Kudos
pmac243
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@DavidHarvey probably worth a try, but it will only allow 1 device to connect to VPN if it worked, I have 3 that I use at various times. Similar issue with putting device into DMZ, there can only be one. The only fix is for Sagemcom to fix the firmware I'm afraid.
0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Thanks for giving it a try @pmac243. If you have any issues after doing this - please send us a message on the Optus App and we will follow up with you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors