Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
stormy_one
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN release

I have even been trying to the login page for the NAS (5000) and can get nowhere 😞

I will have a bit more of a play.

0 Kudos
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

How are you trying to connect from the client (which hostname used, confirm dynamic dns working, hairpin doesn't work though so you can't test going to your public IP from behind the router essentially)?

One thing you can try is one of those port scanning Web pages to check what open ports you have, if it determines those ports open you are on the right track.
0 Kudos
stormy_one
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

VNC into my system at home and attempting to connect that way.

I have tried via the DynDNS I setup and even used the Public IPv4 Address, still nothing 😞 Very strange. I ping the DynDNS from the VNC PC and get the right IP so all good there.

0 Kudos
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

I should probably give the port mapping another try, as it was a long time ago I was playing with the older Sagemcom and then received the newer one and was definitely remoting thru it but I may have had my own router in DMZ on the Sagem at that point rather than doing individual port mapping.  It may have been the older 3xxx series that I had successfully done the mapping, and successful DMZ on the 5366...

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@stormy_one wrote:

VNC into my system at home and attempting to connect that way.

If you are connecting via VNC then I would expect the known "hairpinning/NAT loopback" issue to be the problem. The VNC connection would give you local access but DynDNS/Public IPv4 are external entry points.

0 Kudos
stormy_one
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That's not right I am afraid.

I VNC to my machine at home is like me being at home is it not? How is that a "hairpinning/NAT loopback", I don't think so.

0 Kudos
stormy_one
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey tonymy01,

I am so confused at the moment and I thought my Billion modem was bad LOL

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@stormy_one wrote:

That's not right I am afraid.

I VNC to my machine at home is like me being at home is it not? How is that a "hairpinning/NAT loopback"

Yes it is. And once you are inside your home if you use the public IP it will try to go out through the 5366 router. The router will see that the public IP is the WAN IP address and it will then redirect it back into the home network. And that is hairpinning (i.e. the NAT is looping back), when an inside network tries to go out but end up going back in.

With the port forwarding those rules are on the WAN interface, and without proper hairpinning they will not work on an internal network.

That's my understanding of the situation.

0 Kudos
User369
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have the 5366LTE-A, not the 5366TN. Firmware is SG4Y1L000079 but latest firmware for TN ends in 105, would that also be the latest for LTE-A?

I have tried both rebooting and resetting modem from the gateway page same firmware version.

I am trying to port forward my Blueiris CCTV on my laptop to the outside world. Worked with old optus cable modem DPQ3925 no problems.

I have tried port fowarding and also DMZ to no success. Lots of people report port forwarding not working but I thought DMZ should work?

Does latest firmware fix the port forwarding issue? If so I try contact optus...

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@User369 wrote:

I have the 5366LTE-A, not the 5366TN. Firmware is SG4Y1L000079 but latest firmware for TN ends in 105, would that also be the latest for LTE-A?

I don't know. You're actually the first person that I've seen even mention a version number for the 5366LTE-A firmware.

I have tried both rebooting and resetting modem from the gateway page same firmware version.

With the 5366TN version you can normally force a firmware update by simply going to the maintenance menu and rebooting from the reboot option there.

If you get a new version can you let us know what version number it is.

I am trying to port forward my Blueiris CCTV on my laptop to the outside world. Worked with old optus cable modem DPQ3925 no problems.

I have tried port fowarding and also DMZ to no success.

I assume then that the LTE version has the same hairpinning problem as the TN.

Lots of people report port forwarding not working but I thought DMZ should work?

There are two distinct port forwarding scenarios from what I can tell.

1) Accessing your home network by directly connecting to your public IP address/domain name (i.e. DynDNS). So thing like trying to connect to home CCTV/media server/NAS.

2) Increasing access to a service that currently works but is restricted in some manner. So things like games consoles where you can play games OK, but cannot host games.

The hairpinning problem mainly seems to impact type 1.

For type 2, port forwarding seems to work fine from most/all of the reports I've seen.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors