Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: New Optus supplied modem - Sagemcom 5366TN

Internet is working. However all my systems and application are on different ip range and I was expecting it to be easier to update range on modem rather than all the systems and applications.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: New Optus supplied modem - Sagemcom 5366TN

@gibbon wrote:
However all my systems and application are on different ip range and 

I was expecting it to be easier to update range on modem rather than all the systems and applications.

Don't know why they though it should be unchangeable in the first place. As least they fixed that in v85.

I had similar issues. I'm on FTTC so at least I could replace the 5366 with my own router and continue as before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Port Forward on Sagemcom 5366TN

I've been using the Sagemcom 6366TN for maybe 3 weeks now.

After a couple of attempts, I managed to change the IP range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.2.1 (had some static ips set already).

I dont use the WIFI, instead it's wired to a Unifi access point.

I'm noticing that my public IP address seems to swap between two addresses of two different subnets; every time I restart the router to 'fix' something, it always goes to one, then within an hour later, jumps to the other one with a log entry saying "PPPoE error: timeout" in the log.

But the most I'm having lately is the port forwarding feature. Previously I port forwarded a non-standard port (above 20000) forwarded to a static ip internal host port 22. After a reboot, the port forward would work, but given time the port forward stops working even though the port configuration is still there, or I delete and create it again. My only fix was to restart the router, taking around 60 seconds to complete (60 seconds of wife and kids going "Daaaaaaaaaaad" is enough).

My current workaround is to allow the port forward to use matching port numbers between external and internal. ie if both are port 22, 23 or 23000. This seems to be the case for upnp-igd rules aswell (but normally I dont enable upnp-igd).

Anyone know why the unmatched port forwards will fail given enough time for up to 2 days after a reboot?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom F@ST5366TN-A basic user settings greyed out?

Hi all. I didn't realise there was a main thread where people have requested updates to the firmware until now. I don't know if after 33 pages people have requested the same things I am but will try anyway. 

I was recently moved to the F@ST5366TN-A about two weeks ago after my Sagemcom 3864 developed an intermittent fault. 

After setting it up and playing with it for an hour or so I'm not asking for much:

1. I'd like to change the login username for instance. It is by default set to 'optus' and cannot be changed as the field to change the username is greyed out. I find it hard to understand that everyone who owns a F@ST5366TN *must* have 'optus' as the login username. Please let me select my own username, unless I'm doing something wrong?

2. Similar to number 1 the default device name is 'my gateway' and the field to change this is greyed out. Again everyone who has this device must have 'my gateway' as the device name? Please let me rename it.

3. As above, I'd also like to assign my own DNS. Currently it is unchangeable from 192.168.0.1. as this is also greyed out.

4. Lastly, I would like to be able to assign a device name against each MAC address I enter when I enter MAC filtering for a wireless devices. At first glance it looks like you can as there is a 'device name' field in the list, but you cannot actually edit into it. Its hard to tell which device is which when all you can see is strings of hex codes. (Although admit this was the same with the 3864).

These really basic settings are locked out or just not available on what is a brand new device. None of these would break any kind of policy I would have thought. They are really just personal preferences?

BTW the device has updated itself to the latest firmware ending in 105 so I'm expecting this is as good as it gets as of this point?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sagemcom F@ST5366TN

I have just discovered (or perhaps rediscovered) the 5366TN is throttling &/or shaping in the upstream direction.

I am running it as a glorified second router with WAN port connected to my linksys Openwrt router, and running its 5GHz wifi (to supplement my linksys 5 & 2.4GHz).

I was doing an iperf speed test testing my various wifi connections out, and found the upstream from F@ST Wifi to F@ST WAN then onto my router LAN (which when tested with PC using LAN on the Openwrt is capable of 960Mbit/s both directions), and found it is only letting through 20megabit/s on the F@ST upstream to its WAN, but 440Mbit/s downstream-

C:\iperf3.7_64_updated_cygwin1dll>iperf3.exe -Rc 192.168.1.1
warning: Ignoring nonsense TCP MSS 0
Connecting to host 192.168.1.1, port 5201
Reverse mode, remote host 192.168.1.1 is sending
[  5] local 192.168.0.4 port 65477 connected to 192.168.1.1 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  32.9 MBytes   276 Mbits/sec
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  34.5 MBytes   290 Mbits/sec
snip
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  hidden.2 MBytes   521 Mbits/sec
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec  58.6 MBytes   491 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.05  sec   528 MBytes   441 Mbits/sec   20             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec   525 MBytes   440 Mbits/sec                  receiver
iperf Done.

C:\iperf3.7_64_updated_cygwin1dll>iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.1
warning: Ignoring nonsense TCP MSS 0
Connecting to host 192.168.1.1, port 5201
[  5] local 192.168.0.4 port 65493 connected to 192.168.1.1 port 5201
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  2.hidden MBytes  22.0 Mbits/sec
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  2.25 MBytes  18.9 Mbits/sec
snip
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  2.12 MBytes  17.8 Mbits/sec
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec  2.25 MBytes  18.9 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  22.6 MBytes  19.0 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  5]   0.00-10.20  sec  22.6 MBytes  18.6 Mbits/sec                  receiver
iperf Done.

I remember when I accessed the advanced settings of the 3684AC modem, it had a profile setup in it for my 50/20 NBN with QOS type settings, so I guess the 5366 has similar.

So anyone who wants to use it as a general router rather than Optus/NBN specific, I would advise against it since you can't change any of its settings really (most are hidden away in advanced menu that the only known user account we have access to cannot see), and the WAN upstream port speed is restricted to whatever NBN profile you last had it running on, even after a power cycle.

(p.s my Linksys WRTnumber hidden both directions on its 5GHz wifi is about 530-550megabit/s).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi - up until I read your post, I was blissfully unaware of the iperf command, so thankful to you for a new learning experience and appreciate your interest in tabling your discoveries. The F@ST 5366 TN has formidable Wi-Fi credentials, so the results surprised me. Not being familiar with the iperf program, I read the article linked in the URL for a background.

Is Test Result 1 from a Wi-Fi device connected to the OpenWRT 5Ghz SSID and Test Result 2 with the same device connected to the F@ST5366TN 5Ghz SSID?  

From my very limited knowledge, the first result shows you respectable near to symmetrical downlink and uplink speeds when three tests of varying load are done sequentially [-r] from a Wi-Fi device. The second result shows you a lower result which was unexpected given the huge difference and I am not sure what it is measuring, as it looks like the command that sets up the PC as a client with no qualifying suffix command that instructs how the measurement is to be done. The result is measuring a significantly lower but near to symmetrical downlink and uplink.

From the article, it shows that there is a [-d] suffix to the port that measures downlink and uplink simultaneously vs sequentially.  I have no experience with these commands, and would be surprised if there would be a dramatic difference, but did you use that as well in your experiments to see if there was any difference? 

https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/How-to-use-iPerf-to-measure-throughput

Usually when you see such huge differences between 5Ghz Wi-Fi speed tests, it is usually because the PC Wi-Fi Adapter has grabbed the 802.11a 5Ghz channel which is limited to max of 54Mbps instead of a 5Ghz 802.11ac GHz channel/s. The F@ST 5366 has 802.11n 450 Mbps and 802.11ac 2200Mbps max speed rating and most Wi-Fi Adaptors would struggle to meet its capabilities as the 2200 Mbps requires 1024 QAM and 160 MHz channel bandwidth which would knock out most of the available bandwidth for other devices. It is not unusual for Wi-Fi speeds to be asymmetrical, but I would not expect to see a huge difference. There may be a setting in your PC Wi-Fi Adaptor that prevents it linking to a 802.11a 5Ghz channel. 

Also I assume the iperf program is estimating speeds, may not reflect actual speed connectivity or use roundup. The figures listed in the results do not match any published 802.11a or 802.11ac speeds. Usually when a Wi-Fi speed is quoted, you can refer to this Wikipedia page table and correlate the speed to the many parameters that influence the speed e.g. MCS Index, Number of Spatial Streams, Coding Rate, Channel Width and Guard Interval.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

Will do some more reading on the iperf program and appreciate any correction if I have misunderstood your results. Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

No, the two iperfs are testing each direction.
I am sure the WiFi would be good both ways to the LAN ports, but I was testing to the WAN port, you can see Optus shapes (and throttles!) the upstream to comply presumably with your NBN profile rate. I remember in the older 3864 router after "determining" the admin password (backup files weren't encrypted on that model) that the full settings had some kind of shaping and profile downloaded from the acs server related to your NBN speed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying - after you initially connect the Optus F@ST5366 modem direct to your 50/20 Mbps NBN service, the modem's uplink continues to operate at that profile when it is placed behind the Linksys OpenWRT on the 5366 WAN port, but not the downlink.

Your NBN service speeds are defined by the your subscription to the NBN network service i.e. 50/20 Mbps. If the modem is sent out to you by Optus from its factory state or if you factory reset it yourself, it doesn't know what speed service you are going to connect it to until the first time you connect to the Optus network. I would expect if you then took the 5366 to a friend's place and they have a 100/40 service from any RSP, it would work at that speed. 

You indicated that you did a power cycle - have you also done a factory reset on the 5366 and then undertaken the iperf tests back to  the Linksys WAN address 192.168.1.1 again? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN release

Hi,

Do you know if problem 4 has been fixed yet?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi – had a quick learning curve experience yesterday with the iperf3 utility using wired Ethernet only and obtained the following asymmetrical results using three different modems. I thought that using wired would provide a more accurate understanding of speeds which would not be handicapped by any wireless environment issues.

Both PCs using Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Software on their 1Gbps Ethernet ports. I have come to the conclusion that the ability of this software is greatly influenced by other factors relating to the quality of the PC hardware which provides varying results when connected to different modems. The vendor’s WAN ports also appear to influence the Uplink outcome. It remains a mystery to me why the links did not reveal symmetrical tests – the WAN ports seem to receive at respectable near to 1000 Mbps speeds but appear to be transmitting in near to 100 Mbps limits.

Test Equipment:

Jetson Nano Quad Core CPU Ubuntu 18.0.4 as Client, 1Gbps link –> Secondary Modem LAN with WAN port --> CAT5e 568A cables used –> Primary Modem LAN port 1Gbps link [NBN 50/20 service connected] –> HP Budget Dual Core Netbook Windows 10 as Server 1Gbps port. HP Netbook is 8 years old and was set to Auto Negotiate Speed and changed to Fixed 1Gbps but no significant change in last test result. I thought the HP may be the bottleneck but the Realtek Driver looks OK; it is dated 7 March 2019 V 10.34.307.2019. ‘Auto Disable Gigabit’ is Disabled. All Power Settings left on Default.

1. (a) Client PC on Telstra Gen 2 Secondary Modem – Uplink under 100 Mbps

[I] First 10 X 1 second results Range 38.2 Mbps to 93.4 Mbps; 0-10 result 55.7 Mbps

[ii] First 10 X 1 second results Range 64.0 Mbps to 94.9 Mbps; 0-10 result 90.1 Mbps

[iii] First 10 X 1 second results Range 32.9 Mbps to 94.8 Mbps; 0-10 result 77.9 Mbps

(b) Reverse Server to Client – Downlink under 800 Mbps

[ii] First 10 X 1 second results Range 330 Mbps to 715 Mbps; 0-10 result 660 Mbps

2. (a) Client PC on Fritz!Box 7490 Secondary Modem – Uplink under 150 Mbps

[I] First 10 X1 second results Range 39.1Mbps to 190 Mbps; 0-10 result 148 Mbps

(b) Reverse Server to Client – Downlink under 800 Mbps

[ii] First 10 X 1 second results Range 314.0 Mbps to 788 Mbps; 0-10 result 597 Mbps

[ii] First 10 X1 second results Range 348 Mbps to 717 Mbps; 0-10 result 610 Mbps

3. (a) Client PC on Optus 5366TN Secondary Modem – Uplink under 100 Mbps

Set to Factory Default then changed IP address.

[I] First 10 X 1 second results Range 44.4 Mbps to 97.8 Mbps; 0-10 result 66.8 Mbps

[ii] First 10 X 1 second results Range 85.4 Mbps to 95.5 Mbps; 0-10 result 93.7 Mbps

(b) Reverse Server to Client – Downlink under 700 Mbps

[ii] First 10 x 1 second results Range 515 Mbps to 700 Mbps; 0-10 result 657 Mbps

0 Kudos