Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
juzdu
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN release

If you can't get hold of Sagemcom...and I'm not convinced you should have to...just get back onto Optus and tell them.  Personally I'd be demanding a new modem.  You shouldn't have to chase up the manufacturer yourself.

0 Kudos
hvorrath
Contributor
Contributor

The BAD news.

Yes, having to login to Yes Crowd every time is annoying.

As is having to constantly log back in to the My gateway app on my PC, which logs me out after about a minute.

I managed to get a callback from Optus this morning, who put me through to their technical people. I asked if it were true that the 5366TN would only issue 16 IP addresses, as I'd been told on the Optus chat line. 

Answer: yes.

Me: Lengthy expostulation about this being unacceptable. Explained that we were also having trouble because although we didn't actually have 16 things connected, after a while the DHCP server wouldn't give new IP addresses.

Optus: Became apparent that the person on the other end thought I was talking about load, and didn't know a DHCP server from a singed possum. According to her, the modem should handle 5-7 devices (which is why I think she's talking about load), after which you might experience problems.

Me: more expostulation about the inadequacy of the modem. 

Optus: What resolution do you want?

Me: not up to me to determine what the resolution is, it's up to you. But if the 5366TN is as limited as you say, then I want a different and better modem.

Optus: ask me to wait (probably while she went to get someone who actually knew something about modems). Line went dead. Tried calling the number back, got a recorded message telling me to ring other numbers.

0 Kudos
hvorrath
Contributor
Contributor

The GOOD news.

In the spirit of trying absolutely everything, I restarted the modem via the My gateway app (there's an option on the maintenance tab). Before that I'd been using the power switch, and that was doing a factory reset, losing all previous settings.

It looks as though that restart forced a firmware upgrade of the modem, as it's behaviour has changed:

- It now retains settings when turned off and on.

- I'm hoping that it has fixed the DHCP IP allocation problem as well. So far, so good.

So if your 5366TN has issues, make sure you have the latest firmware. Mine now has SG4Y1T000085. To get the latest, restart your modem from the My gateway app.

0 Kudos
juzdu
Contributor
Contributor

WOW.  That is nuts.  I certainly have more than 16 things getting an IP address.....i have a 5 person family with laptops, PCs, 4 Google homes, phones and a couple of tablets.  Then there's the smart lights, chromecasts and people visiting.  So yeah...that's rubbish!

Interesting on needing to choose a restart from maintenance to get the new firmware.  I'm almost certain I got mine via a hard power off....and I do actually hard power off, using the button on the modem, once a week or more and have never lost my settings.  Curious.

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi all,

Just popping in to acknowledge your Yes Crowd login feedback is a known issue, it's actually been that way for about two years(!). We've been trying to get someone to fix it all this time and I'm expecting a party to be thrown here when it eventually happens! I think priority is given to the more used new Optus website, My Account, online shop, etc. but believe me we're constantly raising it as it impacts us also. Thanks for putting up with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ray_YC ,

Now that you have stuck you head in here, can you please get one of your tech people to figure out what the heck is happening with DHCP and get us some definitive answers one IP address limits and concurrent device limits.

0 Kudos
hvorrath
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Juzdu

Perhaps your modem already had newer and better firmware than ours when it was installed. Our modem wasn't installed by Optus, because they delivered it during a period when we'd already told them we'd be away, and before we actually had the NBN connected. The NBN man connected up the modem when he did the NBN connection. I'm wondering whether an Optus technician would have known to restart the modem to get the latest firmware as part of the installation process, and that this step was missed for us because we never had any contact with anyone from Optus. However you are supposed to be able to self-install, and the installation guide doesn't say anything about restarting to get the latest firmware.

Or maybe the new firmware fell out of the modem while it was sitting on our doormat 2m from the street (the "safe place" where Optus assured me it would be put). Only joking.

0 Kudos
hvorrath
Contributor
Contributor

If you ever get someone's attention to stop the logout from Yes Crowd, can you get them to stop the logout from My gateway as well? Then you could have a really BIG party.

0 Kudos
juzdu
Contributor
Contributor

It's a little off topic, but mine was a self-install too...I had to leave Optus after 20 years of broadband internet because they wouldn't offer me a competitive price on NBN. So I signed up with Kogan for NBN. It wasn't until the very last stage of cancelling my Optus cable that they finally caved and actually beat Kogan's price/deal....but I still had to leave for a month because Kogan charges you for their modem if you don't stay connected for a month. So Optus made notes on my account with the deal they were offering...which amazingly they actually honoured when I called back a month later!
So all they had to do was post me the modem and I hooked it up.
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Sure thing, I'll try to pick up from where Dan left off earlier in this thread. He's provided the Networks contact that has been helping us out. Stay tuned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos