Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

New Optus supplied Wireless Broadband modem | B818

Customers who sign up to an Optus Wireless Broadband plan can now select the Huawei B818 modem.

huawei front (002) optus wireless b818.png

Huawei B818 front

Superior range

Powerful antennas allow you to stay connected, no matter where you are in your home                                           

Hassle free setup (no technicians required)

Simply plug it in to a standard power socket

Connect your way  

Provides WiFi connectivity (2.4Ghz +5Ghz) as well as 4 Ethernet ports

Plan and pricing details:

The B818 modem is available on a 24-month & Month-to-Month 200GB/500GB  plan.

24-month (500GB & 200GB): No device repayment. If you chose to cancel before the end of your contract, you’ll need to payout the cost of your device.

Month-to-month plan (500GB & 200GB):  A one-off device payment of $192.00 will apply.

Technical specifications 

FORM FACTOR

Size: 103*103*225mm

Weight: <1000g

FEATURES

LTE 4*4 MIMO+4CC, 5CC
LTE DL 256QAM, LTE UL 64QAM
Data rate > 1Gbps

BANDS

LTE: B1/3/5/7/8/20/26/28/32/38/40/41/42/43
UMTS: B1//5/8
4*4 MIMO : B1/3/7/38/40/41/42/43

INTERFACE

2xRJ-45 for data, GE

WIFI

802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4GHz 2*2 & 5GHz 2*2 DBDC

POWER

AC/DC:AC: 100 V ~ 240 V; DC: 12 V, 2 

Setup assistance

Dan_C_0-1577289674403.png

B818 Setup tips 

How do I setup my modem? 

1. You’ll want to make sure that you have the correct SIM card. The B818 uses a Micro SIM card and should come pre-inserted into your device
  2. Plug your modem into a regular power socket
  3. Power on your modem (it may take a couple of minutes to complete the boot up sequence
  4. Connect your devices via WiFi or Ethernet (your default WiFi Network name and password are printed on the sticker on the bottom of your modem
  5. If you’re experiencing a poor signal, you may wish to relocate your modem to a different area within the home. We recommend close by a window with little to no obstructions

How do I restore my modem back to factory settings?

Switch on your modem and follow the steps below:

1. Use a pointed object to press down on the reset button
  2. Release the power button after 3 seconds. The power indicator will switch off
  3. Your settings will be restored to their factory default
  4. Reconfigure your modem settings via the modems gateway address

Does my router support 5 GHz Wi-Fi?

Yes, the Huawei B818 is a Dual Band modem and supports the 2.4 GHz band and 5 GHz networks.

How do I connect to its 5 GHz Wi-Fi?

From your list of WiFi Network names, connect to the WiFi network ending in _5G. You can set your modem to prioritise the 5 GHz Network. When this feature is enabled, your devices will automatically connect to the 5 Ghz Network.

What should I do if I forgot the Wi-Fi password or the login password for the modem settings page (GUI)

Restore the router to its factory settings and then use the default Wi-Fi password and login password to try again. The modems IP address is labelled on the sticker near your WiFi Network name (SSID) and password (WiFi key)

What should I do if the MODE indicator is red or you cannot connection to the internet?

1. Check if the SIM card is inserted and the correct way to insert it into the slot
  2. If the issue persists, restore the router to factory settings and try again
  3. Check our Network Status page for any planed our unplanned outages. If an outage hasn’t been reported, Contact us and we’ll help with further troubleshooting

What should I do if the Internet speed is slow?

1. Check the signal indicators on the router. If it shows weak signal, adjust the router's direction or move it close to a window to improve signal reception
  2. If your device is connected to the router over WiFi, adjust your device's position to receive better signal
  3. Switch to the 5GHz network (if it’s supported by your device)
  4. Restart the router and your device and try again

Looking for more help? Check out the Huawei B818 Quick Start Guide.

You can also message one of our experts. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
16 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: New Optus supplied Wireless Broadband modem | B818

I’ve had this box plugged in for 10 days and countless messages and interactions with Optus “service”. After 10 days I still do not have a usable internet service (download speed ranging between 0.41 and 5.6 mbps...typical service closer to 2mbps) despite multiple “escalations”. Anyone else suffered this problem? Does this service simply not work?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Using an Optus-supplied modem allows us to provide support for connecting and troubleshooting your equipment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Not good to hear, lawstdog.

Assume you've tried all those troubleshooting steps mentioned towards the end of Dan'C's post?

Do you have a fault ticket number? If so, what is it?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi lawstdog,

I've had this modem for a few weeks now, performance and reliability have been excellent - step up from the B525 I was using.

Did you have a 4G broadband service previously and how did that perform?

What sort of download do you get on an Optus phone in the same location?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Morning

Looking for some advice, I currently have the B315 through the old Vivid and it performs at between 5-10 Mbps.  Do you think there would be any performance improvement in speed by going to the B818.

Thanks 

Nathan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

In theory it would be faster but it all depends on a few key factors. Do you know how far you are from the tower and what frequencies the tower supports? Is the modem positioned with line of site to the tower?
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

With the addition of 4x4 MIMO (multiple input, multiple output). You should notice a difference.

Each antenna on the device is used for receiving data and sending data.

So, theoretically - the more antennas your device has, the more data it can transfer at once—and that means faster wireless download and upload speeds.

That's for both cellular data and data being transmitted over WiFi (2.4 or 5GHz)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Very unhelpful comment. I have sought "support" from countless Optus representatives and the matter has been escalated countless times. So far, no improvement and seemingly no ability nor willingness on Optus' part to do anything other than claim network upgrade works. If this were true, presumably nobody in Melbourne's SE would have Optus service.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

All troubleshooting tips have been tried countless times. I believe my matter reference is 22224356.
0 Kudos