Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

New Optus NBN FTP Connection Horrible

Hey all
Just got my modem today and set it all up and the connection is horrible – Sagemcom Fast 5366 LTE

I have my laptop set up 2 metres away and get the following on both 2.4 and 5Ghz

Ping 250-300ms / 47 down (very choppy) / 0.5 up (yes zero point five)

Speed Test Result NBN  (speed test result)

I have tried a direct connection to my Netgear wireless router to bypass the Optus supplied one and get the same results.

I have tried connecting the ethernet cable straight from the NBN box to the ethernet port on my laptop. This reduces the ping but speeds and choppiness still the same

Luckily my cable is still up and running.

On my cable, through my wireless router on 5Ghz (6 to 7-year-old Netgear WNDR4500 — N900)

Ping 12ms / 150 down / 1.7 up   Result from Cable (result)

At this stage, my old cable connection kills my new Fibre to The Premises NBN connection.

Just to add the mystery I activated the 4G backup and, while a little slower, I get a more stable connect

4G Backup Speed Test 

Does anyone have any idea for troubleshooting this?

Thanks
Mick

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Tina_YC

Re: New Optus NBN FTP Connection Horrible

thanks for getting in touch with us. We're sorry you're having issues with your internet.

We recommend keeping across our Network Status page here → https://www.optus.com.au/about/network/service-status, which provides up-to-date faults and works that may be impacting your service. You can also register for updates by clicking on 'Report an issue'.

There’s also a range of troubleshooting steps that may help with poor internet speeds: https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1845. We advise you to follow the basic steps so that we can rule out any network or software issues.

Let us know how you go. Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hello @Tina_YC 

Sorry, but none of that helps and still very poor NBN this morning. 

For some reason the link for the 4G wasn't working in my previous post - 4G Speed Test Results 

Nope, for some reason this forum keeps wrecking the link - you need to add *****  one one one one four two zero one nine nine zero at the end of the link where asterisks get put. For some reason this forum seems to censor numbers.

I am still getting much better pings with either 4G or my old cable connection.

This is pathetic.

0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Good morning @mikeyjames2, this is certainly not the experience we want you to have. How did you go with the troubleshooting?

If you continue to have issues after this, please send through your service details over to our 24/7 Messenger Teams over on the Optus App - and from there, we will run some closer checks and get back to you with some more information

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Troubleshooting solved nothing.

This is simple. Same laptop

Connect through my old cable connection (which luckily still works) I get 10ms ping, with a fast stable connection

Connect through the 4G backup on the new NBN wireless router I get 12ms ping, with a stable connection

Connect through NBN Fibre to Premises on new wireless router I get a 200ms ping, with choppy download speed and with only 2Mbs upload

I have tried connecting the NBN ethernet cable straight into my Netgear wireless router and get the same results. I have connected the NBN ethernet cable straight into my laptop and get the same results. 

0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Thanks for giving those a try @mikeyjamess2, being a public forum we are unable to access your account or discuss the service details. However if you could please send a message to our Technical Teams on the Optus App - we will be able to run some closer checks on your connection and network status

If you are unable to access the Optus App, please send a message to our Social Media Teams where they will be able to follow up as well. The teams are reachable on Facebook and Twitter 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Well results that bad are actually good news.

Put simply there is a fault in the NBN installation. Nothing you can do yourself, just contact Optus and arrange for them to get the NBN to have a look at it. Should be running fine shortly. Tell them the issue happens when plugged direct into the NBN box - they may not ask you to step through all the reset the Optus modem gumf then.

As a side tip you might not be aware of you can have multiple RSPs connected to your FTTP at the same time (just request they use another of the 4 available ports). I find getting Launtel is a great backup as they can be set to $0 a day and dialled up and down on a daily basis (to 1000Mbps). Good for testing RSP issues or just having a big one off download session for a day.
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @petergdownload I will give them a try and see what kind of connection I get. 

0 Kudos
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey @petergdownload 

My new Launtel 500/200 connection is ready to try when I get home from work today. This should at least tell me whether the NBN installation is stuffed or whether the issue is with Optus. 

Cheers

Mick

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Wow. I so wish FTTP was properly rolled out nation wide - its sooo much better in so many ways than legacy options.

Just a note that the new connection will be on one of the other for CAT5 ports in the FTTP wall unit. Just swap the cat5 lead over to that port or put in a second one.

I also had a thought (although unlikely) that the CAT5 lead you are using out of the FTTP wall unit might be faulty. Its unlikely but if you can swap it out as a test then that would eliminate that.
0 Kudos