Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Optus NBN FTP Connection Horrible

Thanks @petergdownload 

I should have tried a different eth cable. Will do. 

Can't believe how efficient Launtel are. Signed up and within 15 min it was ready. Then 20 minutes later I get an email from their support worried because they haven't seen me online line yet and letting me know I need to use UNI-D Port 2

Cheers

Mick

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

One of the big benefits of the NBN is it has allowed smaller players access to the fast speeds (previously only available from Telstra and Optus).

A company like Optus is groaning under the weight of its size and finding their aging backend technology and customer service challenges are very hard to get on top of. Relative new comers like Aussiebroadband, Supoerloop, Future Broadband and Launtel have been able to offer innovative products (like day to day NBN) along side snappy service.

Much of my commentary on this forum has been aimed at trying to get Optus to play to its strengths as well as to start putting the customer wellbeing front and centre (something that head office is still grappling with IMO). Optus often still behaves like the only option its customers have is to go to Telstra (and they're always so expensive) but these days annoyed customers can easily go elsewhere.

PS Would be surprised if you find the Launtel connection any better btw. IMO still much more likely to need the NBN to come out and tweak the line.
0 Kudos
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey @petergdownload 

I am glad to report your hunch was wrong regarding the NBN installation being at fault 🙂 (Unless there could be an error with just port 1 ???)

Here is my testing since at home this evening

With Port 1 - Optus Connection

Via Optus supplied Wireless Modem 

Wireless 5Ghz

330ms ping / 45 down / 0.19 up - Result Optus via Wireless 5Ghz 

Direct Ethernet Connection to Laptop

327ms ping / 51 down / 0.25 up - Result Optus via Direct Ethernet to Laptop 

With Port 2 - Launtel Connection

Via Optus supplied Wireless Modem 

Wireless 5Ghz

2ms ping / 474 down / 18.5 up - Launtel via Optus Supplied Modem

Direct Ethernet Connection to Laptop

1ms ping / 831 down / 358 up - Launtel Direct to Laptop 

It is abundantly clear, given the great Launtel results, that this is an Optus issue and needs to be fixed. Especially the pathetic upload speeds. It's just about unusable. 

Never having had a connection this fast before, can someone tell me why the wireless upload on the Launtel connection is limited to about 20Mbit max? Any settings I could be looking at either on the laptop or Optus router?

My wireless is Killer Wif-Fi 6 AX1650x and running on 5Ghz

Cheers

Mick

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Nice numbers - look that that ping. I'm curious what Launtel plan you chose as my understanding is that all NBN offerings are capped at 50Mbps? Even on FTTP.

Its still a fault IMO. Possibly port 1 is not correctly wired (I don't know if you can get Optus to request your port 3 be activated instead?)

Otherwise yes it is Optus. They're still adding the superfast speeds to their line up (not sure why but possibly your issues are indicative that there are still some teething problems).

Hope they sort the issue soon.
0 Kudos
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I was testing the 1000/500 plan at $10 per day.

Given I use wireless mostly and the extra upload speed seems a waste of money, I have just changed to a 1000/50 plan for $4.60 per day.

Appreciate the recommendation. This is a great backup for when Optus is mucking up or I simply need a better connection for a while. The ability to pause the service is brilliant. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors