Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: New Optus supplied Wireless Broadband modem | B818

just jumping in to say we definitely won't be removing your post, rebuilder 🙂 

Looking forward to seeing future posts from you on Yes Crowd.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
lawstdog
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Update - switched to Telstra last month. Turns out I live in a bit of a dead zone but the Telstra hardware pulls a signal whereas Optus did not. Big kudos to Optus for doing the right thing in the face of inability to deliver the service. Thanks to all contributors here for your suggestions prior to that.
0 Kudos
rebuilder
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

peter i think you may not have finished the sentence you were tyrign to start there
"Given that my sim from my old plan with the ipad (but bought the 525 router to put the sim in rather than the use sim in ipad), because Optus/router may recognise that as a 'mobile phone sim', whereas it recognises the new sim as a wireless broadband  sim"

But i think what you were saying was the new sim and new router are performing worse than the old sim in B525?
This can be for a number of reasons.
1. Different bands in use on the old B525 vs the New B818, needs tobe comparing apples and aples, so locking to a band on both devices is the only way to compare the devices performance. Im asking too much of you there to test all that, so lets just focus on the one modem, the new B818, which should in all cases be faster than the old B525 on the wireless broadband plan when on the best band.
2. The new sim is not a mobile phone sim and on the low 700 mhz band 28, which is a valuable spectrum, home wireless is given less priority than cell phone sims, and this is worked out based on the type of sim card in use and its service it is supplying. Because of this low speed priority, the new sim and its inner working sin the New 818 and the network will put more emphasis on trying to concect to the higher bands, regardless of weather or not it can get enough clear signal from those higher bands. (higher is more capacity but weaker at getting through your house walls)

So let me ask you this, are you in a city or out remote?

0 Kudos
Peter49
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rebuilder, thanks for your patience !

What I was trying to say was the following:

New 500Gb plan sim in new B818 router - poor 5Mbps down/8Mbps up.

New 500Gb plan sim in old B525 router - 'ok' at about 25/1.5

Old 'ipad/mobile(?) sim in old B525 router ok at about 25 to 40down and 1.5 up depending on time of day.

Old 'ipad/mobile' sim in new B818 router = amazing speed of 110/8 mbps approx

these were from just one off tests - not regular repeated tests, but the tests comparing the 2 sims were taken a few minutes after each other after swapping over the sim cards.

Last night logged into the router as per your suggestions and I think managed to turn off 5Ghz wherever I saw it and turned on 2Ghz.  Did another test (probably around 10.30pm) and no change still around 5 to 6Mbps down load speed. 

So thinking the Optus tech might call me first thing in the morning re the ticket that has been raised, I used the reset button to move all settings back to 'factory', and then switched off.

Switched on this morning around 8.30am (B818 router and new 500Gb wireless broadband sim), and have been using through the day (email, reading the paper online etc - retired 74+ yr old, and going for walks.   Have been taking ookla speed tests through the day, and these are the results which are to say the least baffling.

8.41am  139/10.97     9.21am  46.15/9.88     9.59am  57.78/9.19     10.28am  6.08/5.75

11.01am 101.67/8.43   12.16pm 6.01/7,50     12.46pm 103.1/8.22    13.47pm  3.01/ 8.17

3.28pm  127.92/8.04    4.25pm 127.7/2.54

So no change of sim, no change of router and wildly varying results from blindingly fast to pretty abysmal in the download speeds (some only 30 mins apart) but pretty consistent upload speeds.  So in a residential area (some small offices and factories on about 1km or so from the tower in the opposite direction - what can explain such variation - is this 'normal' for the wireless broadband service vs a 'mobile sim' service?  

Will 5g be better, same or worse if/when it is declared available for my address?  

0 Kudos
rebuilder
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

QUOTE"Last night logged into the router as per your suggestions and I think managed to turn off 5Ghz wherever I saw it and turned on 2Ghz.  Did another test (probably around 10.30pm) and no change still around 5 to 6Mbps down load speed. "
No what you've done here is actually change the wifi frequency. 

What i want you to find is the data connection settings.
Its a drop down box with a few options, 2 of which are "4G 2300 mhz only" and "4G NO 2300 Mhz"
When you find these setting, select 4G 2300 mhz only.

Do this and you should find it stops jumping off to the congested band where it gets those dismal speeds! Great thing you posted those speed test results, they confirm its exactly what i thought and if you can find this setting you will likely see an improvement.

0 Kudos
rebuilder
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

here is what is happening with those speed tests.
B40 = 2300 mhz , high capacity, affected by walls and distance, poor upload speed
B28 = 700 mhz, lower capacity, unaffected by walls and distance, good upload speeds, often better up than down.

TimeDownUpdown to up ratiosuspected band
8.41am13910.978%B40
9.21am46.159.8821%B40
9.59am57.789.1916%B40
10.28am6.085.7595%Band 28
11.01am101.678.438%B40
12.16pm6.017.50 125%Band 28
12.46pm103.18.228%B40
13.47pm3.018.17271%Band 28
3.28pm127.928.046%B40
4.25pm127.72.542%B40
13.47pm  3.018.17271%Band 28
3.28pm  127.928.046%B40
4.25pm 127.72.542%B40

Band 28 is great at sending data form your device to the tower. When the B40 network is so busy with users, the towers end up with a thing call cross slot interference, where they simply cannot here you anymore because of the way the band 40 timing works for down and uplink data. so you get kicked off to band 28, which is primarily for mobile devices, and for this reason, it is congested but also, given priority to mobile devices and mobile sims. This is why you saw better speed with the old sim in the B818 at these times.

Wont get this kind of analysis and info form optus staff will yah haha.

Peter49
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rebuilder, ok will give it another go tomorrow when I've got more time (watching ABC tv and don't want to miss these two programs), and let you know the outcome.

0 Kudos
Peter49
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rebuilder,

Certainly info well beyond my knowledge and analysis - can't speak for Optus staff but would imagine some would need to understand that, but maybe not your average tech and almost certainly not staff in an Optus store?

All the speed tests were done in the kitchen / family room. All with a direct line of sight no walls or windows to the B818 router and sitting between 3 and 6 metres from the router with my laptop either on the breakfast table or on my lap on a lounge chair or settee. 

Will have another try re your networking settings tomorrow and let you know the outcome (and no doubt useful to other members on this site).

0 Kudos
rebuilder
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was actually reffering to walls between the modem and the cell tower. So, houses.

0 Kudos
Peter49
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

ok I did initially think that, but the router has remained in the same place throughout so no changes in windows and walls between it and cell tower - unless the signal can switch between cell towers whilst continuously turned on?

0 Kudos