Searching...

New Cable connection

Dan17

Hi all

I have just been connected up to Optus Cable in Pascoe Vale, Victoria, 3044. I was wondering who should I contact regarding connection issues ?

Around 5pm - connection was around 30Mbps which was fantastic and couldn't be happier as that is exactly what we signed up for, then at around 7pm to around 11pm it dropped to between 1.5Mbps - 3Mbps and the internet really was unusable. 

Everything is brand new - new modem / router new cat6 cabling from the router as well.

Re: New Cable connection

petergdownload

The optus cable is being decomisioned over the next two years. Its been deemed unfit for service.

What you're experiencing isn't all that unusual unfortunately. Cable is a shared medium which means the more people using it, the slower it goes as its data is shared between households. Its possible a lot of people in your area are using it and so in peak hour you'll get some big drops. 

No doubt there's some one at Optus you can call but IMO their unlikely to be able to do much to improve the speeds. Fortunately it seems likely your household will be switched to the NBN in the next two years. If you also have Telstra Cable in your street you'll be put onto that. If not then you'll likely be moved to a FTTdp (Fibre to the driveway) cable which should see a huge increase in reliability.

Punch your address in the NBNCo "Check Your Address" site. It should say HFC Cable or possibly FTTN (If it says FTTN then that means no Telstra cable is available but that also means they'll likely upgrade the FTTN to FTTdp)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Dan17

Thanks Peter

I will give Optus a call - see if they can bump me up to a different speed bracket, I wondering if that releives some of the congestion issues the area is facing ?

Fibre to the curb (FTTC) is what the NBN website is telling me for my area, is that a bad thing as it looks to use exisiting copper lines in the street which is older technology which can't supply the higher speeds ie. 20,30,40 Mbps connections ?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Wouldn't bother with getting speed increased on your plan. That just costs more and they can't supply the speeds you are currently paying for. Getting into a higher plan will mean outside peak hour you should get 50Mbps+ etc. but you'll hit the same issue in peak hour (7pm-11pm) as the cable is only capable of sending so much data at once to all households in your area.

FTTC is fantasic! You're correct that the copper is the weak point but FTTC means that the copper only goes as far as the footpath outside your home - the rest is fibre. Its FTTN (node) that's the problem as the copper needs stays from your house all the way to the node which can be up to a kilometer away. FTTC can easily handle 100Mbps - lucky you!

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Just to be clear what you're experiencing now for data is just like using the Citilink Tollway. You pay to use it. Most of the time you can go 100km/hr. But in peak hour everyone is using it and you get to go 30km/hr and still have to pay. You could pay Citilink even more but the roads will still be just as clogged at 5pm every day 

Dan17

Nice 

I did a bit more research on the FTTC topic - I was getting confused with FTTN and using copper for that solution. Looks like I will have to wait it out until next year for FTTC. 

Do you think I would get better speeds if I was on ADSL2 ?

This was interesting too 

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/04/nbn-cable-rollout-delayed-as-hfc-false-activations-leave-homes-of...

Dan17

If a speed pack was added for free - is it worth giving it a shot ?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

No harm. I suspect its free because they know its already maxed out anyway. A "speed pack" isn't actually anything that increases the speed. They just take the "brake" they put on your connect off.

Let us know if it does help though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

petergdownload

Yes, the transition isn't going as smoothly as it should. But what's less mentioned is NBN are adding 25,000 new homes to the network every week. If only 1% of those gets bungled then that's 250 very unhappy customers. Hopefully your's should be smoother when the time comes, especially as NBNCo have full control running the connection to your house.

As for ADSL being faster the answer is very unlikely. The absolute max ADSL speed anyone can get is 20Mbps. Most households can only get less than half that (at any time). Its possible you might get a more steady speed (list 10 Mbps all day around) but that's a big maybe. Unless it becomes unusable I'd say stick with the cable. Jump to NBN as soon as you get the chance next year.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Dan17

Perfect - Yep fingers crossed its a smooth transition middle of next year.

We need have ADSL2 in the area last year ( at a rental ) and i dont think I got over 1.5Mbps. It seems I can get 3 - 4 Mbps on cable during peak times so might not be worth the hassle to even contemplate moving.

Thanks for your assistance!

Highlighted

Dan17

Sorry again

One last thing - what are the plans for Optus once the NBN is made available in the area?

Are they forced to decomission all active Cable subscriptions using HFC, or is it possible to remain with Optus in the hope that more people jump off the current service to NBN, which may then clear the current congestion issues ?

For me, if I was able to get say 50 - 60 Mbps each day ( if I was able to get the speed pack approved ) I would be more than satisfied.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
29 Kudos