Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mansd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Network Laser Printer not found with NBN Sagemcom Modem

Hi, can some one help me please ? I have just joined the NBN. On my old home network (ADSL) my Lanier laser printer was connected via LAN to my TP Link modem router. The printer has a static IP address. All computers were able to use the printer, and I could access the settings in the printer. With the new Optus NBN Modem/router Sagemcom, I can not find the printer on the network. If I open my browser and enter the IP address of the printer (address confirmed by test print of printer) it is still not accessible, ie not found. Why does the Sagemcom not reconcise my Laser printer ? It also reports that 2 IPads and 1 IPhone are connected by LAN when they are not, they are WiFi. The Modem reports 4 devices connected by LAN when there are only 3, ie 2 laptops and 1 printer. Am I completely wrong ? Any help advise gladly accepted Thanks Dave
0 Kudos
12 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Network Laser Printer not found with NBN Sagemcom Modem

What is the IP address of your PC. Your modem. Your printer?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Mansd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter, but why do you need those ?

what would you advise to do with them ?

I know them , please advise how to use them. 

Unfortunately I start work now. Will check your reply , if you are kind enough to answer tomorrow. Regards Dave 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good question Dave,

FWIW there's two sorts of IP addresses. Internal and External. Internal usually start 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x. These addresses are built into the fabric of the internet to never travel outside your home (because every home uses the same addresses internally and sharing them outside the home would just cause chaos).

You can share them for diagnstic purposes without worrying that you are compromising your security.

External IP addresses for most homes are usually a single address (which is what your modem has). Internally your modem address might be 192.168.0.1 but it also then connects out to the internet and so has a unique external address (basically any other number than the internal ones e.g. 233.45.12.4) - don't share that oneSmiley Happy

I'm asking for these IPs because they need to roughly match in order for your (internal) network to work. If it helps IP addresses have 4 blocks (x.y.z.a) I probably only need to know the first two to confirm my theory.

Hope the night shift goes smoothly.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

change the Network setting for the printer to DHCP to get then new IP address from the SAGEM modem

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Mansd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, thanks for your advice, will advise addresses latter. 

Presently completing moving house and have family jobs to complete. 

Your advice appreciated 

dave 

0 Kudos
Mansd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks , but printer is 8 years old. Need to access it via computer to change settings. 

If modem does not see it , then can not access the internal settings. Going around in circles. 

Thsnks for your thoughts 

Dave 

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

What is the model of your printer? Most has a LCD screen for setting. How about a factory reset on the printer? 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Mansd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

its a lanier SP3410DN and unfortunately it does not have a LCD screen.

Your advice appreciated but at present I have to go for a while.

Will revert later

Thanks

Dave

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It should be easy enough to get connected. But yes you'll need some time for us to step you through it.

The Manual for the printer is here.

It does have a DHCP option apparently. Essentially what we need to do is set (or reset the IP address to factory default). Then ensure your modem and PC are moved to the same IP address range so they can talk.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors