cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Network Feature Availability

What’s the modem setting and configuration page login (GUI)?

You can access your modem settings by entering 192.168.1.254 into the address bar of your web browser

Can I bridge my 5G modem with a BYO modem?

No, the modem cannot be set to Bridge mode.

Does Optus support Static IP on Optus 5G Broadband?

No, not at this point

Can I use my Optus 5G Home Broadband SIM in a 5G ready mobile device?

The SIM should only be used with the Optus supplied 5G modem and is not intended to be used in any other device.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
New Contributor k3tan
New Contributor

Re: Network Feature Availability

I would like to see the device in Bridge mode so I can use my own router. Will this ever be made available? Many of the settings you would expect to be able to change within the Nokia router's page are locked and cannot be changed. Will this change?
When will Static IP's be made available? How do you propose to remotely access security cameras and smart devices within the home?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

No word at this stage @k3tan.

As it stands, static IP is offered over consumer grade fixed broadband services and on selected SMB Mobile Broadband plans. I'm not aware of any current plans, but if we were to launch a business grade 5G Broadband service, static IP may be something we offer.

As for the ability to set the modem into bridge mode, technically you can connect your own router to the Nokia Gateway, but the ability to enable bridge modem via Web GUI is not something that's available. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor k3tan
New Contributor

Just clarifying, you're saying there's a way to enable bridge modem, just not through the Web GUI. Is that correct? If so, could you specify any details on how I can achieve this?

I was on the phone with the Optus 5G team earlier last week. They said bridge mode would be made available at some stage in the future without giving a specific time frame. Can you confirm this is the case?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

It's not bridge mode per se, but it'll achieve a similar result.

You'll just want to plug your own router into either one of the LAN ports on the back of Optus supplied modem

In saying that, there is a draw back. For example, if you game online you might run into a double NAT scenario. Netgear has a good explanation up on their support page. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor k3tan
New Contributor

Thanks for the information. Reading what you've provided, there appear to be some large drawbacks. Any view on when/if the Optus supplied 5G modem will ever have bridge modem functionality enabled?

New Contributor Gypsycurse
New Contributor

The Nokia 5G modem appears to have been customized to limit user interaction, whilst this kind of set and forget approach might be suitable for many, I personally require the ability to assign a manual IP within my own network. Anyone using a media hub on their own network would prefer to use a fixed address, or just to assign access to limited MAC addresses, none of which appears to be accessible currently.
0 Kudos