Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
theCrazy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Netgear Unite Explore 815S 4G LTE Mobile Wifi Rugged Hotspot

dear community,

I'm planning to purchase "Netgear Unite Explore ac815S 4G LTE Mobile Wifi Rugged Hotspot" from USA unlocked and insert Optus 4G+ SIM in it.

The question is would it work? do you know what optus 4g+ supported bands and LTE capabilities. If I know that I can match it with the technical sheet for the mobile broadband device.

cheers

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Netgear Unite Explore 815S 4G LTE Mobile Wifi Rugged Hotspot

Take a look at this - https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mobile_phone_frequencies

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
theCrazy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks mate,

i found the below:

AT&T Unite Explore (Netgear Aircard AC815S)Technical Specifications:

* 4G LTE Advanced Cat 9 + 2 x Carrier Aggregation (up to 40 MHz)

LTE: Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 29, 30

* Support 4G LTE Advance/4G LTE/3G UMTS/2G GSM/EDGE

From the the link you gave me:

4G/LTE bands

Australia is currently using these LTE bands
2100Mhz (B1) – Telstra (a handful of sites), Optus (Tasmania), Vodafone
1800Mhz (B3) – Telstra, Optus, Vodafone
850Mhz (B5) – Vodafone
2600Mhz (B7) – Telstra, Optus
900Mhz (B8) – Telstra (a handful of sites, utilises spectrum previously used by 2G)
700Mhz (B28) – Telstra, Optus
2300Mhz (B40) – Optus (Vivid Wireless spectrum)

So it it looks like it is not supported, right?

0 Kudos
theCrazy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I just checked with optus shop and they told me as long as it is unlocked it would work.

i’m guessing It should work as it is suppose to be used while traveling.

found another post online confirming that the device works in West Africa. I would be shocked if it diesn’t Work here. I know that CDMA devices doesn’t work here but this one is 4G LTE.

can anyone from optus support comment on this post please?

0 Kudos
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

The LTE bands mentioned in the technical specs will refer to a certain MHz. As long as you are near a tower that uses one of those frequencies, there should be no issues. Optus can't provide technical support for third party hardware though so I would caution to purchase at your own risk.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
theCrazy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

thanks @Toomey

I have sent to the supplier to enquire about their return policy.

I think Optus should think about upgrading their current model of netgear mobile broadband with something more advanced so that customers don't look for overseas solutions.

0 Kudos
Marie
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the update @theCrazy,

We'll certainly pass your feedback on to our Marketing team to look into this.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@theCrazy I actually don't think it'll work here, not well anyway. I've never really understood why some companies talk about a device working on Bands 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and others will talk about 700MHz, 950MHz etc so I've done some research. 

In Aus (if the sites I've looked at are up to date), the only band used here that your device is compatible with is 5 but Optus isn't on this particular one. 

Toomey's response really gave you nothing. Yes if you're within range of a mobile tower transmitting over a frequency that your device is compatible with it will connect, but that doesn't tell you if any tower in Aus actually transmits over those frequencies. 

Going by what I've found (keep in mind I didn't spend hours on it) I'd say don't buy it unless the online store has a pretty good returns policy. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
theCrazy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@SamSam you are a star 👍

0 Kudos
Jens188
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Though the unlocked Netgear AC815s could use under Optus network, but why don't you choose the AC 810s or  4G Plus Wi-Fi Modem (CAT 9) AC800S https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/netgear-... instead? It is better than the 815s router which is most popular for US carriers.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors