cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Greg_Teneriffe
Occasional Contributor

Netgear CM500V + Sagemcom F@ST 3864 supplied but CM500V does not connect properly

Had a NetGear CG3000v2 for a couple of years for my OPTUS Cable Internet, but at contract renewal I received the Netgear CM500V and Sagemcom F@ST 3864 set.

Three attempts and the CM500V does not provide an internet connection.  If I connect a computer to the CM500V WAN port it connects to OPTUS, with a WAN rather than a LAN IP Address.  Connected the Sagemcom and connected everything across the bridge into the Sagemcom, and a LAN network is present but no internet connection.  Also the phone when connected to the CM500V does not get a dial tone.  Three times, three episodes of frustration.

Plugged the CG3000v2 in again, turned off WiFi, then bridged across to the Sagemcom with all ethernet and WiFi connections, and that works fine, with issues of short drop-outs, et cetera.  Don't think that they were meant to co-exist.

Can always revert to the CG3000v2 that loses the Wifi network at random, and needs a reboot daily, but surely the CM500V is expected to work in bridge mode.  Probably a dud.

Anyone else having the same fun as me ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Netgear CM500V + Sagemcom F@ST 3864 supplied but CM500V does not connect properly

It sounds like the setup Optus have given you, is the same as Telstra does now in preparation of moving to the NBN.  They have provided you a seperate Modem Ony and Router, so when NBN comes, you can simply replace the Modem with NBN's and keep on going.  If you are getting a WAN IP from the CM500V, then your connection is working, it must be something to do with your router config.  Are you plugging the CM500V via Ethernet into the WAN socket of the Fast 3864?   Then connecting your computers and phone into the Fast 3864.   Try doing a factory reset of the Fast 3864 and trying the setup again, by plugging the CG3000v3 into the Fast, you are Double NAT translating, a router behind a router, not a great idea.  When you had the WAN IP on your computer off the CM500V could you browse the Internet?  You may have to ring Optus support and activate the CM500V on the network before it starts to work. 

Occasional Contributor

Re: Netgear CM500V + Sagemcom F@ST 3864 supplied but CM500V does not connect properly

Yes, I am plugging the CM500V via Ethernet calbe into the WAN socket of the Fast 3864.

No, the instructions say to plug the phone into the CM500V --- do not plug the phone into the Fast 3864.

No, when I had plugged a computer into the WAN port I could not connect to the internet --- it was dead, and the connection reported it was connected to "Optus" with a WAN IP Address.

I may need to go through the issue of ringing Optus support and activate the CM500V on the network before it starts to work, but the instructions sy that this would not be necessary.  The instructions says that wait a few minutes after plugging in the CM500V before plugging in the Fast 3864 but that was not of any benefit.  It may be a dud modem.  The CG300v2 works much better.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

You dont have to use the new Modem and Router Optus gave you, your welcome to still use the old until you are switched to NBN in due course.  If you are getting a WAN Ip address from the CM500V, it sounds like it should be working, if you are plugged it in the Wan Connection of the Fast 3864, I would imagine the VOIP Phone from Optus would be provided by the Fast 3864, not the CM500V, in preparation of when you replace the CM500V with a NBN Modem on Cable.

Have you checked with Optus, in case you need to Active the CM500V to replace your old modem? You may have to contact Optus Support to check they have setup the Cable Modem properly. If your getting a WAN IP address when plugging directly on to your computer and not able to browse, it something like something may be wrong at there end.

Good luck, if can be of any more assistance just let us know Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

For example, can I replace the CG3000v2 with :

• an ARCHER CR700 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router
  • a Netgear C6300-100NAS AC1750 WiFi Cable Modem Router Modem/Wireless DOCSIS 3.0

Are these options as a single unit replacement ?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Most likely not, unless they are Ex Optus units.  I believe Optus will only activate Cable Modems they have sold on there cable network, you should however be able to use any Router you like, if you dont need Phone from Optus, behind the CM500V as its sending out a WAN IP and a modem only.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

SOLUTION : I had to ring Optus to register the Serial Number and MAC Addresses of the CM500V to activate the modem on the cable service.   No words in the instructions, but then again the instructions where a three-folded photocopied A4 sheet !    But the Netgear CM500V + Sagemcom F@ST 3864 are now operational.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Glad you got it all working Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Top Contributors