Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Roemac
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Netgear CG3000v2

Being optus issued, I beleive optus are the only ones that can issue the firmware update.

After speaking with the optus 'tech' (reading from a script) he said that my modem is appearing offline, in their system, even though the modem has 4 green lights: Internet, upstream, downstream and power.

Every cable connection requires that an isolator be installed. It usually sits in the grey box on the outside of your house that the cable runs to first. It's job is to isolate your 'house' cable connection from the 'network' cable connection in order to protect equipment and lives from a lightning strike. Because of the storms we had expirience yesterday, this is what I would put my money on as being the problem.

0 Kudos
Scarecrow
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

First time I did factory reset nothing really happened, I couldn't log in to router because WiFi light not on. I a factory reset again only longer, about 30 seconds and then WiFi came back. So logged in with the default details on the back of the modern.

Roemac
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

OK that's what happend the first time I tried the reset i.e. nothing really changed.

I'll give it another go now.

0 Kudos
Roemac
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That worked for me. Now the modem is reset and out of bridge mode and back to default. Ports 2-4 work as they should. Port 1 (which is require for bridge mode) is still inactive.

The problem for me is I don't want to double NAT my network but at least this can get me online for the time being. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are you sure it's not the other router that's damaged causing the port 1 fault?

0 Kudos
Roemac
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm pretty sure. The other router in my case is a ESXi host (server computer)  running a pfSense VM as my main router/firewall/vpn etc.

The reason I say this is beacause i've also tried 2 different laptops and a switch to port 1, in both bridge and non bridge mode. No device works in either mode.

The double NAT issue I can sort in order to re-establish VPN connection back into my home network. I'll do this until the optus tech comes out on Thurday. I'll update my results then. Cheers

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yep I think you are right if it doesn't work with those other devices. I guess the upside is you might have the opportunity to get a better NBN router so that you no longer need to run in bridged mode.

Roemac
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The Optus Tech came out this morning: Nice guy- Asian bloke ( I wish I caould remember his name now Smiley Indifferent) called first to check that it was OK to come early and was here when he said he was going to be here. Cudos to you Optus contractor. Before hanging up the phone he asked what the problem was and I gave him the explanation. He replied: I'll need to change out your modem. Perfect!

He arrives and has a seperate modem (Netgear CM500V) and router (Sagemcom F@ST 3864OP NBN IMS) which seems to be what's on offer from Optus nowadays, cool. 15 minutes later and a couple of phone calls to Optus and i'm back up and running again. I asked how many he had changed today. I was 3rd on his list, he had another 5 to do.

Hopefully you guys got sorted too.

Cheers,

Roemac.

Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Excellent!

Scarecrow
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus Tech came today and replaced modem and wifi router as well. He came nice and early so had the rest of the day to do stuff, said he had 12 to do today from the storm. Bexley and Kingsgrove areas