cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Netgear CG3000v2

After the thunder storms  this week all the LAN ports on our Netgear router have suddenly stopped working, not sure if there a casual relationahip or not. The WiFi is still ok but we relied on ethernet cable to spred the signal through the house. 

Is there anywhay to fix this , if not how do I get a new router? 

Cable plan

No NBN

Long term customer. 

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Netgear CG3000v2

You could try a factory reset otherwise a new router would probably be on the cards.

http://devicehelp.optus.com.au/netgear/cg3000-v2-windows-10/settings/restore-factory-default-setting...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm in south western Sydney and i'm having the same issue as you've described. My modem hasn't been working since 4pm yesterday.

Do you still have internet access via wifi?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion but doing a reset did nothing in my case.

The interesting thing is that the ethernet ports light up while the modem is booting up and initialising and then turn off before booting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Same problem in Bexley. Not only did the lightning strike take out the Ethernet ports on my cable modem it also took out the Ethernet ports on my DrayTek router.

I called Optus and they said they are sending out a tech on Thursday to inspect the router and replace it needed. Don't know why they don't send out a replacement modem. So have to have a day of work now, costing me more money.

The lightning strike hit the cables and traveled down the coaxial to the router frying the Ethernet 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm in Roselands and the optus Tech can't come out till thursday either. Probably after he's visted you in Bexley. I also asked about a replacement modem and they said yes but at a cost and it would take 7-14 days to get here 😞

If lightning hit the cable line then the issue isn't with the modem (well it is and isn't). The issue would be that the cable isolator has been tripped and needs to be replaced 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I still have WiFi and it just the Ethernet ports that are fryed. Strike probably blew a capacitor or controller in the router. Do you still have WiFi?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I run my modem in bridge mode and don't use any of the built in functionality of the Optus firmwared, Netgear CG3000v2. Personally I think it's a POS and I run Unifi and pfSense instead (because of the work i do). My intranet is fine and functioning as it should.

I assume your still recieving internet via wifi from your modem. If that's the case my theory of the isolator is out the window and doesn't make sense.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Is there any option to do a firmware update as it might be just the firmware?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was also running in bridge mode when it happened. I did a factory reset, held button/pin in for about 30 seconds. So it went of bridge mode and the WiFi is working but the Ethernet ports are not.

When I was in bridge mode it was connected to my $500 Draytek router, which also fried the Ethernet ports on it.

0 Kudos