Searching...
Highlighted

Netgear AC800s | Extremely slow speeds...

JustinBerger
Hi everyone, We just got a Netgear AC800s, and the speeds we get are just a huge disappointment. Barely 1Mbps all day long... It was much better for the first 5 days maybe, but since then it’s rarely above 1Mbps. We are in central Sydney (Darlinghurst) where coverage is good, we have Optus mobile phones and get a good 4G coverage and speeds up to 20-30Mpbs. So I just dont understand why the modem is providing such poor connections to our devices. If anyone has any idea of what is happening, that would be helpful! Thanks

Re: Netgear AC800s | Extremely slow speeds...

Paddylee

Connecting via wifi or usb cable?

First thought is WIFI issues before actual 4g issues - especially with the phone getting faster speeds.

The device will connect to a pc via the supplied USB cable - try this way and see what happens.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

[ Edited ]
JustinBerger
Thanks - I tried multiple times and basically I get the same speed with Wi-Fi or the USB cable. Any idea what could cause the slow speeds? The modem shows 4 or 5 bars and 4G+, but the speed I get on my devices is ridiculously low... EDIT: I actually just did some more tests with only one device connected to the modem (Wi-Fi and then USB) and I do get a quite big difference between USB (~20Mbps) and Wi-Fi (~5Mbps). What kind of adjustment can I do to the Wi-Fi connectivity to enhance the speed? Thanks!

Paddylee

As WIFI is a shared resource you may be using the same band as one of your neighbours etc.

The device has functionaility to change the WIFI channel, i would go up in incriments of 3, e.g. 1,4,7 & 11 and see which one got you the best results.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

JustinBerger

Thanks again. I have tried to change channels but it's hard to see any difference.

I am starting to think that this is a network issue, the RSRP and RSRQ of the modem are poor (-91 and -16) and when I compare them with what I get on the iPhone, it's totally different.

Eric008

How about resetting the Netgear AC800S to factory default? Any luck?

Matias

Same issue here, phone get 160Mbps download and AC800S only 2-5Mbps. Tried changing SIM, APN, wifi, craddle, and resetting to factory settings but nothing fixes the issue. Optus support made me change APN 4 or 5 times and doesnt work. I'm only left to think that Optus tower is limiting downlink for modems and I still have 6mths of contract to go... Smiley Sad

Shauna

Hey @Matias - not good to hear Smiley Sad can you please send me a private message confirming your account number, full name and DOB so we can take a further look? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
117 Kudos
52 Kudos
36 Kudos
27 Kudos
23 Kudos