Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Occasional Contributor BenM82
Occasional Contributor

Netflix poor quality

My Netflix (direct account with Netflix, not the free offer via Optus) appears to be speed limited. 

When a tv/movie starts playing the speed bursts to over 6MBits but within 30sec drops down to 0.6 to 0.8 MBit where it stays with a video resolution of 480 (instead of 1080 or 2160).

This all worked perfectly in 2018 and up until 2/2019 when i last used Netflix. I have tested this on my Bluray player, Samsung tv and desktop pc with the same low quality results. My Netflix account works perfectly at my parents house in 1080p and 2160p on Optus NBN50. 

My setup is;

Netgear Nighthawk M1 4G

Oppo 103 bluray (wifi)

Samsung 65 4k (wifi)

Windows 7 with Explorer v11 (ethernet)

My Netflix account is the premium 4k service with data usage set to High.

My Optus 4G gets speed results of 80-130MBit consistently via Speedtest.net however only 0.75MBit from fast.com (Netflix's speed test service) whether with Optus auto obtained dns or Google dns settings.

I do not have the free netflix service enabled on my Optus 4G Mobile Broadband or Mobile Phone account.

About 2 weeks ago i switched from an Iphone 6 with a month-to-month Optus 4G sim to a 24mth contract with Samsung S10+

It really appears to be Optus have speed limited my 4G service and i can't figure out how or why. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Netflix poor quality

Hmm yes it would seem that it's throttled and I am wondering if it somehow thinks you are using the fee Netflix offer? If you look under your profile / settings in Netflix is the option available to change the quality? Reason I am asking is because I don't have that option with the free version.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes I can change between auto, low, medium, high (I have it set to high).

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hmm very strange. Have you double checked the Optus account portal to see if streaming is off? It would be the S10 device that should be off as well I would think.

tv-streaming.jpg

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So despite that being the first thing i checked last weekend it appears that the service of my mobile broadband had the streaming service active even though it was inactive when i last logged in a week ago. 

I have disabled it (says inactive) and no quality change yet, but i will check it all again tomorrow night to see if things have changed.

Thankyou.  

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hopefully that was the issue. Restart the mobile broadband before you try again tomorrow. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

fast.com speedtest does not show an indication that its lmited.

I have the free "tv" streaming on my phone, yet fast.com says my speeds are 40+Mbit.

Netflix on the phone definately caps at 1.5Mbit (giving me 720p).

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Restarted the Nighthawk M1 (new IP)

Started a 4k tv series on my 4k tv

Initial burst to 13.55MBit / 2160p with perfect picture and sound then 30sec later drops back to 0.66MBit / 384 res where it sat steady for the next 10mins. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No change to this problem, rebooted router, new ip, same speed throttling issue. 

Start watching any tv/movie, it races immediately up to maximum speed then the throttling starts and within 5sec the buffer runs out and its back to 0.65MBit

I'm stumped. 

APN: connect = limited

APN: yesinternet = limited

APN: LTEBROADBAND = limited

APN: yesbusiness = limited

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well that's disappointing as I thought we were on to something. This is a business plan and the APN information you have posted is all showing limited? Have you tried Netflix via your S10 hotspot? Curious to see if you get the same results.

0 Kudos