cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor DataBlack
New Contributor

Neighbour in my unit is able to get cable. But my unit which is closer to street front cant.

Hi all,

I'm an existing Optus Mobile customer and have just recently moved to an apartment in Merrylands. I was very excited to get my internet set up, with fetch and all Optus Sport. But I've been out of luck. At first I thought it was because the apartment is newly built. But when I typed my neighbour's address availability checker, lo and behold. They can get cable.

I've been going back and forth with the live chat and phone technical support team about my internet connection. First the sales tells me they can only have one cable in the whole street. Then tell me they have no ports available.

I've seen many Telstra customers are able to just lodge a "commercial quote" which sends a technician out to check their connection. Why arent I able to do so?

How is it that my neighbour in the same apartment block has cable and I cant even get ADSL2+?

I was hoping as an existing optus customer I would get better assistance. But no. I might just switch to Telstra internet if this isnt doable as they include foxtel now in one of their unlimited plans. I'm not going to pay $70/m on 200gb of 4g.

I hope someone here can help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neighbour in my unit is able to get cable. But my unit which is closer to street front cant.

Cable into multiple fixed dwellings on the one block has always been an issue and I believe there are many technical and legal reasons involved. I have seen posts in the past that suggest an appraisal by a technician is possible however no contact information has been posted on who you should call. Did they specifically say dsl is not available and I guess NBN is not an option?

Whilst it's not as generous as fixed services I believe that 200GB plan is on promo for $60 at the moment and some media streaming such as Netflix may be data free.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/data-sim-card?plan=80&contractlength=12&SID...

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/entertainment/tv-movies-music/mobile-tv-streaming

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Neighbour in my unit is able to get cable. But my unit which is closer to street front cant.

My suggestion would be to contact Telstra. 

As @Yeldarb Optus doesn't really 'do' divided properties. It appears theoretically possible to get it re-appraised but Optus do not make it easy to do this (i.e. there's no information anywhere and no customer service people know about it)

Check your address for when the NBN is coming and what type. Its likely to be HFC cable which means they'll be using the Telstra cable anyway to connect. If you're already wired up then switching to the NBN is just a phone call.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor DataBlack
New Contributor

Hey Yeldarb,

Yes dsl isnt available at my property either. Which sucks. I was enjoying the idea of bundling my optus plans together. Saving and keeping the one bill. 

I guess 200gb isnt much if streaming and sports are free but YouTube and downloading would blow through it very quickly.

Oh and Gillespie, maybe you're right. NBN is slated to be completed on the property between October-December this year. Maybe it's a reasonable wait time. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I understand and share your concern however I was surprised how well those large data plans hold up. As a YouTube and Torrent junkie I thought I would blow my data limit in no time. That however has not been the case. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos