cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Re: Need router settings to replace my optus provided sagemcom 3864 v3 router.

@vsolanki I am trying to picture your setup, is it like this?

NBN -> Netgear cg3000 cable modem -> sagem 3864v3 -> Netgear nighthawk wifi router

wifi and routing is done via the netgear

voip phone via the cg3000

if the above is correct, then what is the purpose of the sagem 3864?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor vsolanki
Occasional Contributor

I don’t have NBN yet in my area. I am using an original  Optus cable plan. 

With optus cable you can’t connect the Nighthawk directly to the cable modem. I have tried multiple different settings, spoke to Optus and others have not been successful on forums too. 

So I am stuck with using the Sagemcom! If I connect multiple devices directly to the Sagemcom it losses internet/dropouts every 20-30mins then reconnects. Very annoying. 

When using the double NAT (“bridge”) to my Nighthawk from the Sagemcom I have had zero dropouts, faster wifi speed and much better range!

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Interesting. It is good that you've found a suitable solution, I didn't think of this path. Hang on to the cable plan as long as you can. My old cable plan was cheaper and at towards the end (as people moved on to NBN), the download speed is faster than NBN, upload is slower though. I guess the next path is to repeat the setup when NBN is avaliable. 

Back when I have the netgear cg3000v2, I was able to connect all type of routers to it via the lan port without any issue. Didn't need to do any configuration change. I connected the lan port to the device and it just goes.  Saying that I didn't test the double nat issue as I am not a gamer, however, I didn't experience with any internet routing or drop out. Tested with many gears including google wifi, netgear orbi, R7000, dlink taipan, ubiquti unifi, another cg3000, asus ac87 to name a few. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@SillyGogo The cable modem Optus supplied me a few weeks ago is Netgear “Cable eMTA CM500V-1STAUS”. It seems like it is more restrictive that the cg3000v2. 

Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@vsolanki  thanks for the update. I see, they must of updated the firmware to restrict what router you can plug into the the CM500V, would be a bummer if the supplied router died. The CM500V do lock on to the MAC address of the connected router, however, it will renew that MAC address after a power cycle. That is, turn the power off, plug in the new router then power on the router, power on the CM500V once the router is ready to pick up the new MAC address of the newly connected router. Worth giving it another go if you haven't done that already, however, since you have the setup going then maybe best to leave it alone.

New Contributor tyui89
New Contributor

this might be the solution that i need, but unfortunately I am a bit confused by some of these instructions. I've been looking for a solution for months on how I can 'bridge' my ASUS AC52U to the crappy sagemcom garbage. After I follow the SG3864 instructions, what do I do next? Do I unplug it and plug in my AC52U and do the next part? Or do I need to connect both my routers first before following these steps. I am very desperate, and you might be my last beacon of hope.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@tyui89 Hi. I connected both. 

(It probably doesn’t matter as long as you can connect to the SG and Asus routers somehow with your laptop eg lan or wifi to make the changes.)

So:

Connect the cable modem to the SG internet port (as the normal setup)

Connect from the SG lan port to Asus internet port. 

PS. Switch off dhcp and wifi on the SG as the last step, so that you can access it easily in order make the changes. I just switched between the 2 wifi networks while making the changes. 

Let me know how you go. Best of luck!

0 Kudos
New Contributor csharpe
New Contributor

simplest solution is to do as follows:

1. CM500V-1STAUS cable modem's ethernet port connected to Sagemcom 3864V3 WAN port
2. ethernet cable from 3864V3 LAN1 port to ethernet switch (for example, TP Link TL-SG105) port 1
3. ethernet cable from TL-SG105 port 2 to your third party router's WAN4/LAN port (for example, TP Link Archer VR900V3)
4. any and all other ethernet / USB connections made at your third party router
5. turn WiFi off on the 3864V3 (button on the back)

this should give you internet at your third party router without having to change any settings in either the CM500V or the 3864V3. You cannot remove the 3864V3 from the network, but you can remove its (wifi, usb sharing, networking) functionality apart from it acting as an extension of the CM500V to provide internet.

Good luck

0 Kudos