cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor rav890
New Contributor

Need router settings to replace my optus provided sagemcom 3864 v3 router.

Hi, I have optus cable modem model cm500 netgear and a sagemcom 3864v3 as a router.My issue is very poor coverage of wifi.I tried optus care but they can't help me with that.So I have 2 spare routers (billion 7800nxl fibre ready and a netcomm wireless nf12 router) that I tried connecting with the modem but unable to get internet as I think the problem is configurations that I need? My phone is connected via modem so I just need a router to overcome wifi range.Does anybody know if its just plug and play or I need usename and password for it?Both routers were factory reset before connecting and I tried my username@optusnet.com.au with my account password but it failed.Also I checked optus website that says you need only username and DHCP ?.I called again but as its not optus approved model I can't get any help setting it up.So please help me to set up a new router with existing modem.I have no nbn but its cable connection.I have ethernet cable coming out of netgear modem that I used to connect to my new router(same as sagemcom is connected).Thanks

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Re: Need router settings to replace my optus provided sagemcom 3864 v3 router.

the Cable Modem CM500 need to stay, as optus does not support non optus cable modem. Sounds like the sagem3864v3 need to stay too as you need the telephone. 

have you tried connecting the Lan port from 3864v3 to the eWan port(4) of the Billion? If you need help, then follow the instructions from page 35 of the user manual

http://au.billion.com/downloads/usermanual/wireless/7800NXL-User_Manual.pdf

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor rav890
New Contributor

Hi , Thanks for the reply mate but my phone is connected to Netgear modem not the Sagemcom router so can I just unplug the Sagemcom router and plug in the Ethernet wire from the modem ? I did that already but billion doesn’t show internet connectivity? I did reset the billion router but no luck. Also filled in my username but not sure what settings I need to make it work. I even tried repeater mode on Sagemcom but it doesn’t support it. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@rav890 Few things to consider, both the Billion and the Netcomm modem that you have is Wireless N, although they might improve on the coverage, the bandwidth or handling many devices might be limited. My suggestion is to invest in a newer wireless AC wave 2 with Mu-mino. It all depends on the range and how many devices that will be connected. I would spend between $100 and $200, worth looking into a Mesh system, like Netgear Orbi, Google Wifi, Kogan mesh thingy. 

Dont think there is a phone plug connected to the CM500, Is the phone directly connected to the 3864? If so then you would need the 3864 for the phone. It is worth pluging the Billion(port 4) into the CM500 (yellow) and select Ethernet as your WAN mode. This might give you the internet but not sure if you will get a phone connection. If this doesn't' work then you the 3864 stays, and connection the Billion to the 3864 and once again select Ethernet as the WAN mode. If this doesn't give you an internet connection then try the WAN bypass mode, here is a link of https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/933517

Basicly, set up the wifi on the billion, disable dhcp, then plug the lan cable from the 3864 into port 1 of the billion. 

Have fun

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor rav890
New Contributor

Hi, After trying for hours with my billion router I managed to get it working finally but it just works on 1 device only because I used bridge mode via Ethernet option. Other option was not working out as it requires username and password(I used my username and account password no luck) but doesn’t even work if I leave it blank? So finally went to my cousins house as he had a spare router and told me to test it. Got home and connected it and after 2 minutes all good. Never used D-Link before (model exo ac2600 dir882)but it’s impressive mate. I’m getting 5ghz signals everywhere and even in my backyard 👍🏼.I read the manual and it says that leave it on 2.4ghz as it will automatically switch between bands if required so very good router. No dropouts etc. It even has dd-wrt support . Only downside is very little options to tweak. No repeater function or cant even select channels manually but in my case I don’t need both yet because coverage is good and no interference from other networks. Still don’t know why I was not able to set billion ? Well thanks for the help and also a technician visited my home but said get rid of this Sagemcom router asap. He said Optus know about the problem but they won’t do anything so I will not be staying much longer with Optus until  nbn arrives. No one had any idea what I was talking about on live chat and have to chat with 4 different guys and no one had any idea what I was explaining. One guy even told me that you’re service will be switched to nbn in 2-3 days ?? I was like what the heck is he talking about as my area will be connected to nbn next year. Other one told me you might be out of 10 metres of wifi range and I already explained it that I’m using it in next room like 5 times in my chat. Seriously I’m so frustrated that I they will keep you on waiting every 2 minutes. Sorry for the long post but I’m just so upset about why we get this type of customer care when we pay what they asked for ? Thanks anyways and will get in touch with Optus again because I won’t leave it like that , it’s their equipment and they should rectify it not me , buying another router is not a solution. 

Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@rav890 thank you for the update. the 3864 modem isn't great, however, do the basic job of giving internet connection for a small area. I say roughly a 10 meter radius give or take. On average most people's are on the NBN50 or below. So othe 3864 still has it place, however, once you go beyond 100Mbps and having more than 20 devices or a larger home, then it is really struggling. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor vsolanki
Occasional Contributor

Hi rav890

I have the same issue. 

What settings did you use on the replacement router?

Would you recommend the Billion router or D-link? (I currently own a Netgear Nighthawk r7000.)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi

ISSUE RESOLVED- How to effectively "bridge" the Sagemcom to allow use of your usual router.

If you still what to have the sagemcom 3864 v3 router connected because your better MAIN router does not work when connected directly to the cable modem then using DMZ works as a alternative to bridging. (Bridging is not available in the sagemcom 3864 v3 menus)

I am getting full speed by wifi 95-100mbs, port forwarding works, dyndns works:

On SG3864

1. Set any static ip address eg 192.168.0.1

2. Goto advanced setup, NAT, DMZ host

3. Set DMZ host to any ip address (This will be used in the background on your main router) eg 192.168.0.138

4. Do NOT set any port forwarding or triggering etc on the SG3864

5. Enable dyndns

On your MAIN router

1. Connect ethernet cable from one of the four LAN ports of SG3864 to the MAIN router internet port

2. In the Internet setup: set same static IP above eg 192.168.0.138, gateway 192.168.0.1, dns 192.168.0.1

3. In the LAN setup: Set the static IP to your usual subnet eg 192.168.3.138

4. Enable DHCP and wifi

5. Set any port forwarding, triggers etc on your MAIN router (NOT the SG3864 otherwise will not send to your main router)

Back on SG3864

1. Switch off DHCP

2. Switch off wireless with the button on the back

Good luck!

Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@vsolanki thank you for the nice write up. does the optus voip phone works with this method?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. My Optus landline voip connects directly to the cable modem (not the SG3864) and works well. I guess it should work if connected to the SG3864. 

0 Kudos