cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Ehhq647222
New Contributor

Nbn

I knew before the NBN was installed at my home it would be a nightmare because I have experience with the NBN at other installations. Just had to reboot the modem yet again. Ive had more drop outs with the NBN in 10 months than I had with ADSL in ten years. What a sick joke. The NBN is already an outdated junk system that should never have been used.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Nbn

Sounds bad. These are things that your RSP is meant to be fixing (or arrange to fix). What technology are you on ? FTTN?
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Yep FTTN ive heard that FTTC is or will be even worse not sure how far they've rolled that out yet. Ive complained to Optus and the TIO and was told no company can be forced to fix the problem until the customer has at least four drop outs a day. What a joke.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I can't think of any reason why FTTC would be worse than FTTN.

I'm certainly glad to be on FTTC rather than FTTN.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good to have a specific metric on dropouts (generally all any one speaks of is speed).

FTTC is generally much better than FTTN (which in turn is much better than ADSL). Technically each one just has a distance back to the node. ADSL its 5km, FTTN its 1km and FTTC its 50m.

FTTC can do 250Mbps easily now and should be able to do 1Gbps shortly.

But yes FTTN sux. However there are things you can try do about it.

1) You can try another RSP. They're the ones that will decide if 4 drop outs is ok and get on NBNCo about it.
2) Make sure your lead in copper line is good. If possible it should be a single line to a single point (no other branches)
3) Some modems handle FTTN better than others (the Optus modem is not a high powered modem). You could see if you can get Optus latest modem but also modems with certain Broadcom chips seem better at getting good FTTN speeds and reliability. Do some searching for info in say whirlpool.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3p8wpvq3

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Ive only heard that FTTC could in some situations be worse than FTTN however that comes from Optus and Telstra techs who seem to be having trouble with some installs. I think it comes down to optical fibre meeting up with copper was never going to work properly. The government took the cheapest option instead of running optical fibre through every install to the modem they stopped at the old connection point. I can't see the problems ever being fixed but I agree that FTTC should be better. Just the techs are saying in some installs its worse. I don't think anyone knows exactly other than the government messed up when they wrote the contracts out. Saving as much as possible now its come back and bitten them. The TIO has employed extra staff to deal with a rise of well over 100% in complaints since the NBN roll out. I can't see an end to it unfortunately.
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thanks for that ill certainly look into that. Ive had a heap of credit from Optus so ill give them that. Yep the speed is higher for me but the reliability is terrible so ill look at what you've given me. The techs I talk to because im an electrician by trade so we tend to run accross each other at jobs say the systems are hopeless and we as in the government messed it up front the beginning. I did manage to get NBN Co to an install on behalf of a customer we were doing a re wire for but I had to move heaven and earth to get them and even then they said if it turned out to be the service provider the customer was up for the cost. It wasn't until I said its either the service provider or NBN Co but its not the customers fault that they backed off. It turned out to be an old filter left on the line by the tech that caused the problem it that instance so can't blame the NBN for that but the amount of trouble people are having is huge. Half our calls are from people thinking we can fix the problem so we have to explain we are electricians not techs. The techs say to me at least the mess keeps them in a job.
New Contributor BigVic
New Contributor

I do have problems with my NBN on HFC 50/20 unable to record Fetch TV since the switchover from ADSL2+ a month ago. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Ive only heard that FTTC could in some situations be worse than FTTN however that comes from Optus and Telstra techs who seem to be having trouble with some installs.

FTTC installs are more complex so it stands to reason that the techs have more problems doing those then FTTN.

I think it comes down to optical fibre meeting up with copper was never going to work properly. 

Nah, its solid tech, nothing wrong with it, its just complex.

The government took the cheapest option instead of running optical fibre through every install to the modem they stopped at the old connection point. I can't see the problems ever being fixed but I agree that FTTC should be better.

That's governments in a nutshell, they always prefer short term political gain over long term thinking.  

. The TIO has employed extra staff to deal with a rise of well over 100% in complaints since the NBN roll out. I can't see an end to it unfortunately.

No surprise there, NBN Co vs RSP is too adversarial, too much buck-passing between them leading to inevitable rise in TIO complaints. I can't see an end either but just a reduction.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@BigVic 

That's an issue not usually relayed to NBN. You can see tv shows ok? Try running a diagnostic from the fetch menu.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos